so i have a 2013 gibson lpj and im planning to do some upgrading. ive sorted out the wiring... the diagram i have is just called "jimmy page 50's wiring" and has coil splitting for both humbuckers aswell as out of phase switching. its also got the old tone volume thingo from the old les pauls. im changing the pickups aswell because my current ones are being donated to another guitar of mine so im trying to find the best jimmy page like pickups. i was looking into the burstbucker 3 pickups by gibson. there pricey but seem great.

so are there any other pickups that are cheap and have the correct cabling to use the inphase/outofphase and coil tapping mods?

thanks

EDIT: im more focused to get his live tone from various concerts like tsrts in 1973 and so forth, mostly because he used tele's,ect ect in the recordings for the albums
Last edited by molten oxide at Nov 6, 2015,
Seymour Duncan Pearly Gates
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Duncan Whole Lotta Humbucker are the obvious answer, Bare knuckle Black Dog or any of the various boutique T-top clones are worth a look as well. Nearly every pickup out there is available with the 4 conductor wiring, so you're not really limited there. You really just need a good set of T-tops. PAFs are close enough and are more common, which means you can get them cheaper used if you don't need the exact type of pickup. If it were me I'd just get a set of High Orders.

PG bridge is close but not the neck IMO. Burstbuckers are overpriced. Lots of better options if you're willing to spend that much. Keep in mind that the "Jimmy Page" wiring is kind of bogus and doesn't have anything to do with what you're hearing on Zeppelin recordings. We get a lot of newbies here wanting to throw a mile of wiring into their guitar to sound like Jimmy, which is appealing because "more switches, more sounds" seems like the right answer. It's not. A good set of pickups in a good Les Paul is what Jimmy was using. The mega-switching wiring was developed years after Zeppelin stopped recording. It's novel, but it's way too much for most people's needs and it wouldn't be anywhere near as popular as it is if someone hadn't misleadingly called it the "Jimmy Page" wiring.

Also, none of this matters much if you don't have a capable amp.
I agree with the duncan whole lot of humbuckers, lots of humbuckers can get you the jimmy page sound out these days so research and see what Jimmy used.

by the way get the seymour duncan triple shot mounting rings you get 24 tones with like 14 solders instead of the 35-50 and some in the jimmy page are a pain in the ass to do.

However I really like this diagram. You can easily convert the tone capacitor to the vintage way but this is what I recommend for all Les Paul and SG guitars. The only disadvantage is no phase reversal. But this actually does more than the jimmy page wiring. Jimmy's does 21 tones this does 24. My over kill version of this I use triple shots and 4 push pulls. Google was kind to me the last year or so. It's similar to the Jimmy Page wiring which is why I'm bringing it up but way more practical.

Last edited by Tallwood13 at Nov 6, 2015,
What you mostly hear Jimmy Page playing was never done with Jimmy Page wiring.
Fact is, a lot of it was done with a Telecaster. That aside, remember that vintage guitars (up through the mid-80's) didn't have different pickups in the bridge and neck. There were two of the exact same pickups. Because of the location of each pickup, the neck pickup will normally put out more sound (be louder) than the bridge pickup in this kind of setup. It's normal. Gibson didn't even have a "hotter" pickup until about '72, when Bill Lawrence built one for the L6S (and, again, both pickups were the same pickup).

If you put Jimmy Page wiring in the guitar and if you put in a "set" of pickups with the neck not as hot as the bridge, you won't have a guitar that sounds like anything what Jimmy Page was doing throughout the '60's and '70's.
Not quite true. Like a lot of guys at the time, Jimmy dropped a T-top into the bridge and left the PAF in the neck, which resulted in a hotter bridge than neck pickup. This is recreated in sets like the Whole Lotta Humbucker.

It wasn't officially available until much later, but guys found a way to make it happen anyway. The hotter bridge pickup convention was a result of that demand, but actually having a hot bridge pickup was an option, and a popular one, long before Gibson finally standardized it.

Early PAF sets were "the same pickup" in the neck and bridge, but PAF winds were all over the map, and it was figured out pretty quickly that the guitars that happened to end up with a hotter wind in the bridge suited most people better than those with a hotter neck. Anyone with a multimeter and a soldering iron could make sure their bridge pickup was the hotter of the two in their guitar. Individual tastes and instruments vary a lot, of course, but it's not correct to say that a hotter bridge pickup is antithetical to the Page style just because Gibson didn't officially offer calibrated sets at the time. The Whole Lotta Humbucker set was matched pretty closely from the set Seymour measured out of Jimmy's actual guitar, and it has the hotter bridge pickup. There is some truth to what you're saying, though, and that's that the difference between how much hotter the bridge pickup is compared to the neck is generally smaller than we see in modern sets.