Blackstar S1-212 Celestion cabinet
2 33%
Active monitors
0 0%
Mesa boogie 4x12
4 67%
Voters: 6.
Hey guys,

I am getting people screaming in my ear about what cab to use.

I recently bought a Mesa boogie 4x12 and have been told that was what I needed dont buy anything else that is it supidly I took their word for it bought it and now Ive got somebody else screaming in my ear its not what I need as you only need one for Stadiums as even then they are old fasioned???!? I have been told by this guy that I need active monitors for my audio interface rather than a rack as you wont get the same sound quality as the cab as monitors are way better (apperently)

I know Im an idiot but is a 4x12 good for me I play at home and want to start touring small venues.

I also have been looking at: Blackstar S1-212 Celestion cabinet

As it is a 2 by twelve as I have also been told this is what I need.

Could you guys help me out PLZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ
Stuck in a Haze.
what you really need is a new amp
But boys will be boys and girls have those eyes
that'll cut you to ribbons, sometimes
and all you can do is just wait by the moon
and bleed if it's what she says you ought to do
If people regularly scream in your ears, you probably won't need to worry about sound quality that much.
Quote by Diemon Dave
Don't go ninjerin nobody don't need ninjerin'
london black cab amirite
will someone carry me across ten thousand miles under the silence
4x12s are overkill, but if it gets you the sound you want and you don't mind lugging it around, and have a vehicle big enough to do it, then why not? It looks cool.
You'll have a much better time asking this question in this section of the forum
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
Youre officially uber shit now.

Quote by StewieSwan
3d9310rd is far more upset than i 

Quote by Bladez22
I'm a moron tho apparently and everyone should listen to you oh wise pretentious one
ur mum blew my cartridge loloLOLoloLOLoloLOloLOLOl
will someone carry me across ten thousand miles under the silence
I feel that carrying a 4x12 cab around is a bit silly unless you're playing larger venues.
Just buy a turntable a protools you pleb. Guitar sucks.
Quote by zgr0826
My culture is worthless and absolutely inferior to the almighty Leaf.

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
Quote by Hydra150
what you really need is a new amp

Way to put that green username to use. :

4x12s are almost always excessive, but I'd say the Mesa 4x12 will sound better than the Blackstar 2x12. Maybe try to find yourself a similar 2x12 or 2x10.
What you really need is a 4x20.
Quote by SGstriker
If KFC is finger-licking good, then people would probably suck dicks for Popeyes. That's how good it is.

There's nothing left here to be saved
Just barreling dogs and barking trains
Another year lost to the blue line
Quote by chrismendiola

4x12s are almost always excessive, but I'd say the Mesa 4x12 will sound better than the Blackstar 2x12. Maybe try to find yourself a similar 2x12 or 2x10.

Based on what? The series 1 cabs are decent, they don't come with shit speakers. Also, why a 2x10 and do you even know what amp he is using with the cabinet and what kind of music/budget he has?

Kind of important factors to be able to suggest something he could actually use.
Quote by zgr0826

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
Last edited by H4T3BR33D3R at Nov 9, 2015,
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
Based on what? The series 1 cabs are decent, they don't come with shit speakers.

Based on my experience with Blackstar vs. Mesa cabs, I usually prefer Mesa cabs, and I prefer more speakers.
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
Also, why a 2x10 and do you even know what amp he is using with the cabinet and what kind of music/budget he has?

Exactly, I don't know- what if a 2x10 may be more fitting?
Quote by chrismendiola
Based on my experience with Blackstar vs. Mesa cabs, I usually prefer Mesa cabs, and I prefer more speakers.

Exactly, I don't know- what if a 2x10 may be more fitting?

Which models did you compare because Blackstar has the HTV and the Series 1 cabs and they are pretty different. The Series 1 being loaded with V30s (same speakers in a Mesa Recto cab) and the HTV having some cheapo Celestion designs.

I could only see a 2x10 working if you played clean stuff and maybe classic rock and blues. 10 inch speakers are quite honky and don't have a great low end for the most part so aren't great for heavier music, metal and anything a guy with a Korn avatar looking for a Mesa or Blackstar 4x12 would probably want out of a guitar cab.
Quote by zgr0826

Quote by JustRooster
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
Which models did you compare because Blackstar has the HTV and the Series 1 cabs and they are pretty different. The Series 1 being loaded with V30s (same speakers in a Mesa Recto cab) and the HTV having some cheapo Celestion designs.

I was actually comparing the Rectifier and the S1, but I gave the Mesa the edge because of more speakers. I qualified the statement because it's largely preferential.
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
I could only see a 2x10 working if you played clean stuff and maybe classic rock and blues. 10 inch speakers are quite honky and don't have a great low end for the most part so aren't great for heavier music, metal and anything a guy with a Korn avatar looking for a Mesa or Blackstar 4x12 would probably want out of a guitar cab.

It may work, and I realise you're thinking about this logically. However, I don't think I've ever listened to Korn, so I'm not familiar with his style. Secondly, the OP seems largely clueless about guitar gear to such a point that he relies on others' suggestions. He may not know 10" speakers may work for him, so the fact that he's looking at cabs with 12" speakers may be simply because that's what others have told him he needs and not because he prefers 12" speakers.
Quote by chrismendiola
I was actually comparing the Rectifier and the S1, but I gave the Mesa the edge because of more speakers. I qualified the statement because it's largely preferential.

It may work, and I realise you're thinking about this logically. However, I don't think I've ever listened to Korn, so I'm not familiar with his style. Secondly, the OP seems largely clueless about guitar gear to such a point that he relies on others' suggestions. He may not know 10" speakers may work for him, so the fact that he's looking at cabs with 12" speakers may be simply because that's what others have told him he needs and not because he prefers 12" speakers.

Yeah I mean if transport and venue size isnt a consideration then I would probably recommend a 4x12 too but if youre gigging a lot, have to bring your own gear and carry it into the place would you really want a 4x12?

If youre playing heavy metal music, sure a 10 inch speaker might be cool but if youre pretty new at this, wouldnt it be safer to recommend the standard speaker size? Id say most of the metal tracks done in the last 20 plus years were on 12s. Why shake up the boat?

Really at the end of the day though, OP has given us no info to actually help him so until then we cant really give a legit answer.

Also it should be moved.
Quote by zgr0826

Quote by JustRooster
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
Yeah I mean if transport and venue size isnt a consideration then I would probably recommend a 4x12 too but if youre gigging a lot, have to bring your own gear and carry it into the place would you really want a 4x12?

I'm not sure why you brought thi up, because we don't seem to disagree. I said it sounds better to me, not that he should stick with it- remember I'd said a 4x12 is almost always excessive, and I suggested finding a cab with two speakers.

Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
If youre playing heavy metal music, sure a 10 inch speaker might be cool but if youre pretty new at this, wouldnt it be safer to recommend the standard speaker size? Id say most of the metal tracks done in the last 20 plus years were on 12s. Why shake up the boat?

I said earlier that I'm not familiar with Korn. I don't know what that band's music is, so I didn't know whether or not a 2x10 would suit OP's style. You've suggested that Korn is heavy metal, and now that I have that information, I wouldn't recommend a 2x10, but that's why I suggested it.
I brought it up because its not really a fair comparison and for somebody who is new to guitars, saying something like a 4x12 sounds better than a 2x12 doesnt really help them out. Especially when we dont even know what he is planning to do. Why is a 4x12 better? Are 4x12s always better? I just think it wasnt very helpful and no reasoning for it aside from I like how they sound.

Mind you the trolling wasnt helpful but its posted in the pit.

But yeah OP, if you're actually wanting help it would be helpful to have this info:

Your location?
Current gear?
Budget?
Genre?
Willing to buy used?
Are you gigging?
How often?
what kind of venues?
how are you getting there?

You mentioned you have a 4x12 Rectifier cabinet already. If you're happy with it, it's not interfering with anything/making it really difficult and the only reason you're having second thoughts is because some other person told you that you have the wrong cab then I wouldn't bother getting rid of it.
Quote by zgr0826

Quote by JustRooster
Last edited by H4T3BR33D3R at Nov 9, 2015,
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
I brought it up because its not really a fair comparison and for somebody who is new to guitars,

No, I mean, why did you bring up the portability argument? I'm with you there. We don't disagree, so why'd you bring it up?
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
saying something like a 4x12 sounds better than a 2x12 doesnt really help them out.

Sure, it can. Keep reading.
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
Especially when we dont even know what he is planning to do.

If by planning to do, you mean what contexts will he be using it, then reread the OP. He wants to start touring small venues.
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
Why is a 4x12 better?

I never said it was better, but see below:
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
Are 4x12s always better?

That's exactly why I gave him my opinion about how the 4x12 would sound better. It may or may not be more suitable to him depending on his priorities. If lugging gear is less of a priority to him than sound, then it may be better, which is why
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
I just think it wasnt very helpful and no reasoning for it aside from I like how they sound.

My approach was not to give him an absolute answer, but to give him my opinion about some pros and cons of each and let him decide what suits his priorities. There's your reasoning.
Quote by chrismendiola
No, I mean, why did you bring up the portability argument? I'm with you there. We don't disagree, so why'd you bring it up?

I said it because to me, that's a pretty important factor in buying a cab. It was just a thought that popped up in my head and I thought it was relevant to the discussion. I guess it wasn't.

Quote by chrismendiola
If by planning to do, you mean what contexts will he be using it, then reread the OP. He wants to start touring small venues.

Fair enough, I missed that part. Aside from that, we still don't know his gear, what he plays etc...

Quote by chrismendiola
My approach was not to give him an absolute answer, but to give him my opinion about some pros and cons of each and let him decide what suits his priorities. There's your reasoning.

Sure, I can agree with that reasoning but your posts didn't have many pros or cons. It just said that the 4x12 will sound better than the 2x12 and 4x12s are excessive. It doesn't really tell me much.

Quote by chrismendiola

Unless I missed something.

Either way, I probably just misunderstood your points anyway so I'll just say I was in the wrong.
Quote by zgr0826

Quote by JustRooster