Hey all,

Unfortunately, my brand new ESP E-II Eclipse came with a poor fret job from the factory and needs a full fret leveling, crowning, and polishing...

This guitar has extra jumbo frets, one of the main selling points for me.

When the luthier does a fret leveling, crowning, and polish, will it significantly lower the height of the frets? Enough to be noticeable?

I keep worrying I will get the guitar back and the frets will feel "smaller" since technically material is removed when they do this.

Thanks.
Quote by kingneptune117
When the luthier does a fret leveling, crowning, and polish, will it significantly lower the height of the frets? Enough to be noticeable?

If they do it properly, then no.

If they don't do it properly, given that you bought it new I would expect that you will be able to return it.
Quote by Random3
If they do it properly, then no.

If they don't do it properly, given that you bought it new I would expect that you will be able to return it.

This luthier is fairly well respected in my area for his work, so I do trust him. The shop I bought the guitar from is going to talk with the ESP guys and see what they can do for me. I don't think the luthier has started work on it yet, so if I can exchange the guitar then so be it.
It came from the factory like that? That's now very ESP-like. I'd demand that they cover the cost of the fret level.

Also, if the luthier's any good, they wouldn't take much off at all to level the frets.
OBEY THE MIGHTY SHITKICKER
Quote by JustRooster
It came from the factory like that? That's now very ESP-like. I'd demand that they cover the cost of the fret level.

Also, if the luthier's any good, they wouldn't take much off at all to level the frets.

I know man :/ I am a lefty, and I feel like lefty guitars, even high end ones, always come with issues. I went through two Gibson LP studios, both had major issues from the factory, and now this with ESP.

Besides this issue the guitar is absolutely flawless, and it is an incredible instrument.

The luthier said that the action was set higher than factory standards too. He suspects they set it high to cover up for the high frets...

The shop I bought it from has contacted ESP about the issue, hopefully we can resolve this.
Quote by JustRooster

I'm gonna assume you meant "not" instead of "now", in which case yeah, I'm as surprised as you are...

But yeah if the luthier is good there should be little taken off the frets at all.

I would try returning the guitar and getting a new one before investing money in it.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
Quote by oneblackened
I'm gonna assume you meant "not" instead of "now", in which case yeah, I'm as surprised as you are...

But yeah if the luthier is good there should be little taken off the frets at all.

I would try returning the guitar and getting a new one before investing money in it.

I spoke with the shop I bought it from - if he has another in stock he will swap it for me! I'm crossing my fingers he has another.