Amp: Marshall JCM 2000 DSL 100 + Avatar 212 with V30s
Guitar : Mexican strat s-s-s

I got a strat because I wanted a versatile guitar when I was starting out and I really love the way it felt when I played it. Now that I am a little better and have a very good amp I am beginning the hate the sound of the single coils for the genres I play.

I am looking for a pair of humbuckers to install on my strat to get a really fat tone. Think of 80s Iommi, Mark Shelton, Victor Griffin, Accept, Glenn Tipton, Uli Roth and Michael Schenker etc. I mostly play traditional metal. So I am looking for suggestions for high output humbuckers for my strat to do justice to the amp and the genres I play.

Thanks!
Hm, I know it's a bit of a "that guy" answer, but wouldn't it be better to get a second guitar with humbuckers in that case? Single coils have a specific tone humbuckers can't really replicate and vice versa, so then you'll have two guitars with different tones, which is useful. And fun.

Or if you really feel like you don't care at all for the single coil tone now, you can just trade it for a guitar with humbuckers.

Still, trying to answer the question, I guess some classics:
Seymour Duncan SH-6 Distortion - pretty well-rounded for a massive hard rock/metal tone
Seymour Duncan SH-8 Invader - I don't like it, it sounds a bit muffled, but if you say "really fat tone" it might be what you're after - make sure to listen to plenty of clips to get a good idea
DiMarzio CrunchLab - popular not just among John Petrucci worshippers, quite hot and well-rounded. And well, if you know his tone, you know it does sound fat.
Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
There's no point in trying to convince a moron.
A Dimarzio Tone Zone is quite fat, and I love the Super 3. It's not for everyone, but it really beefs up single note runs.
I'm just a kickin' and a gougin' in the mud and the blood and the beer.
Try replacing at least one of the single coils with something like a DiMarzio Fast Track II. It was originally intended to be the bridge pickup of a super strat (it's a four-wire single coil size humbucker that's very high output) with a recommended 500K pot:

Output mV: 321
DC Resistance: 18.07 Kohm

http://www.dimarzio.com/pickups/strat/hum-canceling-strat/fast-track-2

I should warn you that it's a bit like having a 3X boost in volume over a standard single coil. I have a couple in LP neck positions with a 9.2Kohm '57 humbucker in the bridge. The Fast Track is MUCH louder.
I was going to be "that other guy" and just suggest you use the neck pickup on the strat and dial up some more bass and mids. Then I read...
Quote by 40xxx04
I mostly play traditional metal.
I like what this chap said:
Quote by TheLiberation
Hm, I know it's a bit of a "that guy" answer, but wouldn't it be better to get a second guitar with humbuckers in that case? Single coils have a specific tone humbuckers can't really replicate and vice versa, so then you'll have two guitars with different tones, which is useful. And fun.

Or if you really feel like you don't care at all for the single coil tone now, you can just trade it for a guitar with humbuckers.
But within pup suggestions, I am ignorant. But just putting a humbucker in the bridge should be enough, and neck position singles will sound nice for thick leads.
Last edited by Will Lane at Nov 6, 2015,
If you don't want to buy another guitar the Hotrail by Seymour is really HOT. It changed the whole direction of my playing. I way always wondering how I could get the tone I wanted. I installed a hotrail and next thing I knew I was buying a new guitar with EMG 81 & 60's to quench the thirst.
ESP Iron Cross Sig model, Fernandes RetroRocket Sunburst, Taylor 214CE, Peavey XXX Super 40, DimeBag Crybaby from Hell, Zakk Wylde Overdrive, MXR Chorus, and a Flashback Delay and Looper.
The Seymour Duncan Pickup Booster was designed for this. It provides 25dB of clean boost, and can make single coils sound more like humbuckers with a switch that lowers the resonant peak.
Dave @ Seymour Duncan
Maybe an EQ pedal? Probably cheaper than pickups, easy to use and doesn't require modding your guitar.
Gibson LP traditional and DC standard, PRS S2 Custom 24, MIA Standard Strat, Charvel So Cal Pro Mod, Schecter Banshee 7
EVH 5153, Mesa DR Tremoverb combo 2-2x12's
Line 6 M13
I was going to suggest throwing an overdrive in the mix, little bit of a boost.
'93 Gibson LP Studio (498T/490R)-Ebony
'14 Gibson LP Standard (JB/Jazz)-Ocean Water Perimeter
Epi MKH LP Custom-7 (SD Custom Shop JB-7)-Ebony
+More

Maxon od808|Boss NS-2|Boss CE-5|
Line6 G55|Korg Pitchblack Pro

JVM 210h|1960a(V30/G12t-75)
I just add an OD pedal to fatten things up a little over squeaky clean tone. It works well with all guitars and all pickups and is variable depending on how "fat" you want it. Sometimes I want "clean but with attitude", sometimes I want "edge of breakup" and sometimes "bar room brawl" instead of full gain shred. A good OD pedal does all three.
"Your sound is in your hands as much as anything. It's the way you pick, and the way you hold the guitar, more than it is the amp or the guitar you use." -- Stevie Ray Vaughan

"Anybody can play. The note is only 20 percent. The attitude of the motherfucker who plays it is 80 percent." -- Miles Davis

Guthrie on tone: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zmohdG9lLqY
well this begs teh ? why did you get a strat for those tones as it's pretty obvious that overall not the best choice. ok now that i got that out of the way. i play strats and also play a fair amount of waht you have listed. a good overdrive will get you more in the ball park for at least some of those tones. Uli roth used a strat for Scorpions but for Accept humbucker would be more the ticket. Priest used strats for some stuff (early albums) but again more humbuckers.

if you want to retain some of the qualities you like about single copils then look at Lace Sensor pickups. you can get a higher output pup but it will still reatin the clarity. you really don't need a high output pickup for thestuff you mentioned. let the amp do the work and as metnioned add an overdrive.
How I see it: you can certainly do a pup swap and hit some of the tones you're after. However, it will be a LOT easier to do so if you start off with a guitar designed to do that in the first place. Plus, you keep your original guitar's tones available if you need them.

Some Stratclones exist with hot singlecoils or sc-sized HBs, in HSS, SSS or HHH configurations. There are HH Tele/LP clones that can emulate singlecoil tones pretty well, too- the better the overall quality of the HB, the better it will emulate a S when split, IME.

Rio Grande makes a HB that is actually a pair of their mini-P90s in one housing, so when split, you can get P90 tones.

Side note: Tony Iommi has also frequently used P90s.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
Last edited by dannyalcatraz at Nov 6, 2015,
normal single coils will not get thicker like a humbucker.

i second the recommendation of getting a SC sized humbucker (like a fast track or a hot rails), and just throw it in the bridge, and call it good.

or... if you are getting a humbucker, just throw one in the bridge.

i like the superdistortion a lot for 80's kind of stuff. i also would recommend a tonezone or crunchlab.

however i would just really say that if you want a dual 'bucker guitar, maybe the strat isn't the way to go. i don't know all of what you will be doing, but maybe 24 frets would be a good thing for you too??? or maybe you would like a different type of trem or a hardtail.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
A lot of the 1980s metal you describe used bluesie type humbuckers and got their distortion from the amp. This is why you see them on BC Rich, Jackson, Dean guitars where the signature models are usually an 80s icon. I go for Drop Turning strings from something like DR. Then tune down and that can get more beefy.

Iommi has a signature Gibson humbucker. Some of Black Sabbath is drop tuned (to help Iommi missing finger tops), but some is still in standard E and beefy. You can get standard C stuff that sounds beefy like doom metal but a lot of that stuff is nuMetal and they go for the EMGs, more specialized humbuckers and the right amps to pull it off. I would use drop tune strings and build out from there.
Dean MAB1. Epiphone Annihilation V. EVH 5150III. Orange PPC112. Earthquaker devices - The Warden, Arrows, Acapulco Gold, Levitation, Night Wire. TS9, DD3, GE7, NS2, LS2, Polytune mini, Small Stone. SM57. Focusrite. LINUX!
I see this situation as a great opportunity/ reason / excuse / validation to buy another guitar with an HH setup.
Guitars:
Jackson Kelly KE3 - MIJ (Distortion/Jazz)
Jackson DKMGT Dinky (EMG 81/85)
ESP E-II Eclipse Custom (JB/'59)
ESP LTD EC-1001FR (EMG 81/60)
Fender MIM Strat

Amps:
Mesa/Boogie Dual Rectifier Roadster 212
Laney IronHeart IRT-Studio
Peavey Vypyr 30
Peavey ReValver Amp Sims
TOOOO many T.C. Electronic Pedals. . .
Or go H/P90.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
drop a Seymour Duncan mini JB in that strat and you will be good to go. I have one in my MK Telecaster and it sounds HUGE.
Live Rig
Michael Kelly Custom Shop Plum Telecaster
Michael Kelly Custom Shop Plum Patriot

EVH 5153 50w
Jet City 2x12
Custom Board

It is NOT trash metal it is tHrash metal...get it right
A JB Jr will also get you there. No routing needed. You will have a high output pickup great for any 80s metal.
Dave @ Seymour Duncan