Hi all. potentially stupid question, potentially super dangerous.

I have a peavey 6505+ 112 combo. It's a decent amp, I really like how it has independent eq's for each channel. I do not like how heavy (lbs) or loud it is. I've had it for awhile and it was more useful when i was out playing really loud shows without PA's but these days I live in an apartment and don't really play live in the same capacity (hook up to a PA in a bar or whatever). Transporting its a turd, I'd leave it at my buddy's "studio" but it's in the hood and their place has gotten tvs and playstations stolen a couple times, I'd rather not risk it.

That said, I do really like this amp. Would it be possible to some how take the electronics and make it like a head and connect it to a cab with a smaller speaker?

Cheers
https://www.google.com/search?q=how+to+convert+6505+combo+to+head&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8

Essentially all it is (I think with most combos as well) is just taking the actual amp block and re-housing it. Nothing difficult electronics wise. The speaker-out is a 1/4 jack so you don't even have to wire and house one up.
Quote by mepmep
I do not like how heavy (lbs) or loud it is. Would it be possible to some how take the electronics and make it like a head and connect it to a cab with a smaller speaker?
Generally people do this so they can connect it to 4x12(s) easily. At least I think that is why they do it. With a smaller speaker you'll probably loose more and more thump. As well as I do not think it will not be much quieter. But no matter what you do, make sure you match the wattages and imps. And don't turn it on without a proper speaker load attached.
Last edited by Will Lane at Nov 6, 2015,
The chassis simply pulls out of the cabinet. There are companies that make head cabinets. Installing the chassis into a new head cabinet is often just a few bolts/screws and done.

It's still going to be a bit heavy (the transformers provide most of that), but a bit easier to haul around.
Quote by Will Lane

Generally people do this so they can connect it to 4x12(s) easily. At least I think that is why they do it. With a smaller speaker you'll probably loose more and more thump. But no matter what you do, make sure you match the wattages and imps. And don't turn it on without a proper speaker load attached.

Yep. A smaller speaker isn't necessarily quieter, just brighter/thinner.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
Wow! Awesome, looks like a weekend project. Thanks everybody!
Quote by Will Lane
https://www.google.com/search?q=how+to+convert+6505+combo+to+head&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8

Essentially all it is (I think with most combos as well) is just taking the actual amp block and re-housing it. Nothing difficult electronics wise. The speaker-out is a 1/4 jack so you don't even have to wire and house one up.Generally people do this so they can connect it to 4x12(s) easily. At least I think that is why they do it. With a smaller speaker you'll probably loose more and more thump. As well as I do not think it will not be much quieter. But no matter what you do, make sure you match the wattages and imps. And don't turn it on without a proper speaker load attached.

Quote by oneblackened
Yep. A smaller speaker isn't necessarily quieter, just brighter/thinner.

Is there anyway to make it quieter? If I were to rehouse it could I just like not add the extra tubes? maybe just like 1 preamp and 1 power amp?
Last edited by mepmep at Nov 6, 2015,
Quote by blacknex
You have to look up for a speaker with lower frequency response sensitivity

FTFY
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.