I have two guitars that the nuts are getting really worn out, both gibsons. Its about $50 to get a nee one filed and fitted.

I am thinking that I may just buy the files and take a shot at it.

Have any of you done it? Blanks are pretty cheap, so maybe i should just put the time in and see how it goes?
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
You can try. The files are expensive as fuck, though. You can find alternative tools to do it with, but the right tool for the job and blah blah blah... I used welding torch tip cleaners to widen nut slots. Would not use them to cut a new nut.
Ibanez Prestige RG852MPB
Ibanez Prestige RG652KFX
ESP E-II M-1
LTD AW-7
Schecter Loomis NT
EVH 5150 III 50
PRS 212 DB
Line 6 POD HD500X
Deadhorse OD/Boss HM-2
Quote by Tony Done
I've done it a few times, using an assortment of slot cutting devices:

Feeler gauges with teeth cut in them
Oxy-acetylene tip cleaners
Needle files
Junior hacksaw blades

Decent files would be easier, but I'm cheap.

How were your results the first few times? Did you have to burn through a fee nuts before you got it right?

Were you doing strats or LP's?
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
I did OK, but I learned a few tricks about repairing slots that were cut a bit too low. And I do like mine really low, so there's not much room for error.

I also made this:

It is a wedge of hard steel cut made from a power hacksaw blade. I use it by shimming the back of it with tape, then gradually lower it by removing tape until the slot depth is right. The wedge shape keeps the cutting angle right. That pic was a mock up, I would normally have the string in place, just pushed to one side, so that I can check the slot depth as I go

The pic also shows a slotting file cut into a feeler gauge.
The plastic nut on my LP popped when trying to cut the slots for some .12s so I carved out the slots on a bone one from ebay and scalloped it, just because I like how it looks. It's not too hard, I say go for it, it's a lot cheaper, a good skill to have, and it makes the guitar more your own. You can get the prefiled nuts cheap anyway though, not much more expensive than a blank. If you get a blank the only difference is you'll have to get measurements for where to cut the slots, and you risk messing them up.
I never work on the nut myself. It’s too easy to botch and if you aren’t a luthier you won’t get much practice. And, as someone else pointed out, a good set of nut files is expensive—more expensive than paying to have a luthier do it. $50 to install a precut nut and clean it up is dirt cheap, so if you can get that price from a good tech/luthier, do it. The last time I had work done it was $40 just to file out the slots to take a set of .012s.
Yea. I was looking at a set of 8 nut files (enough to cover a wide range of gauges) and they wanted $90...
Ibanez Prestige RG852MPB
Ibanez Prestige RG652KFX
ESP E-II M-1
LTD AW-7
Schecter Loomis NT
EVH 5150 III 50
PRS 212 DB
Line 6 POD HD500X
Deadhorse OD/Boss HM-2
Quote by lemurflames
Yea. I was looking at a set of 8 nut files (enough to cover a wide range of gauges) and they wanted $90...

Not cheap, but I suppose if you learn to do it, it would save you money in the long run.

I am kind of thinking of just biting the bullet and trying it. I could get the files and quite a few blanks for the price of getting two fitted for me. I have been looking at a lot of videos.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!
Quote by lemurflames

Those are the cheap ones. The nice ones are $60+ each.
Fantastic. Those are just the files. Not any other tools to may need and the materials...

Go to a tech.
Ibanez Prestige RG852MPB
Ibanez Prestige RG652KFX
ESP E-II M-1
LTD AW-7
Schecter Loomis NT
EVH 5150 III 50
PRS 212 DB
Line 6 POD HD500X
Deadhorse OD/Boss HM-2
been doing my own for years
the first one i made fr my ibanez ael whose nut broke when i tried to put on 12s...or was it 13s...i dont rememebr but i just made my own out of a cow bone i got from a local butcher cleaned it treated it and shaped it using sandpaper a dremel and multiple saws and files i had from my woodworking its still on my guitar

the feeler gauge/slut cutter idea was not one i had til recently
to be honest the worst that can happen is you mess up the new nut. if you dont mind taking the time adn money to learn how to do it, it can be very rewarding
but mostly if youre careful and go with the old "measure twice and cut once " idea you can make a pretty decent nut