Hoi,

If we went back in time, we would find a topic similar to this. But I'll just expand the problem a bit.

So to start this, I'll say this again. I know it's not easy to succeed nowadays. The odds of making it big with a band aren't high. The problem I'm going to present to you is not this.

I live in a small town which means we don't have the same possibilities for things you'd have in bigger cities. And I also live in Finland which for some reason, is not helping either. As some Finns are used to saying "Ei täällä Suomen maassa" which could be translated into a simpler form "Not in our country".

None of my friends play instruments and if a few do, they aren't good or aren't able to create anything by themselves. And also most of them lack motivation.

I have used every possible site to find band members and just simply everything with which I could possibly attract attention. There is no one in our town willing to collaborate.

I could expand the field of search but then again I'm not interested in driving around my country (yes I'll have my license in a month. Finally!) to have a one hour rehearsal with a band.

Is it possible to start as a solo artist or something similar? Playing in bars or whatever you get to do to "empower" your name.. And even if this is possible, I find it pretty stupid to play my songs and riffs without a rhythm guitar or a singer. Does not concern all the songs but for some of the riffs and songs it's essential to have a full band.

If I managed to empower my name with this "method", what then? I doubt a random guy in black comes to me after a song and says:
"You, I like your style. Listen, I'm looking for young talent and you are just what I've been looking for. We have a band ready for you back at the studio in Helsinki, we only need you to sign this contract."

What I think is that things are much easier for example in the USA or UK. They are focused on these areas of industry. Acting, music, games... You name it, they've got it. An example: Lots of young actors with no acting experience have agents and audition for big shows like Game of Thrones and even manage to get in them. In Finland, this is impossible or at least the likelihood is low. I don't know any Finnish actors below 18 that have major success in the English film industry (UK, USA).

Last but not least, let's discuss the criteria of labels: How they select bands etc. Of late I've noticed that you only need to have good looks. For example as a male; the more you attract women the better. The labels don't seem to care about the quality of the music or about the talents of individuals, it's only about maximised profits.

I went a bit off-topic but I hope you have the time to read all of if.
Last edited by Billie_J at Nov 7, 2015,
If you can, then I might advise saving up and moving to a bigger city.

It took me 2 years to find a band in my area that played my sort of music and wanted to succeed. A friend of mine who plays guitar just gave up and moved to London.

If its not an option now, use you're time to grow as a musician and keep searching for people. Learn everything you don't know, practice things you do. That way when the right band does pop up you'll be more ready for it.

P.S.

The only other advice I can give is learn bass or drums. Us Guitarists are a dime a dozen, where as bassists and drummers are rarer, and thus far more sought after. Its not quite the same as playing the instrument you want, but it would give you the gigging experience and prepare you for the role you want.
Quote by Billie_J
I have used every possible site to find band members and just simply everything with which I could possibly attract attention. There is no one in our town willing to collaborate...
...And even if this is possible, I find it pretty stupid to play my songs and riffs without a rhythm guitar or a singer. Does not concern all the songs but for some of the riffs and songs it's essential to have a full band.
Didn't 5:SOS (Five Seconds Of Summer) collaborate and construct some of their songs together remotely (ie: by using youtube back n forth)? I mean like, in the beginning stages.
My partner and I rehearse on Skype. We work on new songs, resurrect old songs to put back into our live sets and just work on different ideas. Saves time and gas and can be done when it's most convenient.
Yes I am guitarded also, nice to meet you.
Last but not least, let's discuss the criteria of labels: How they select bands etc. Of late I've noticed that you only need to have good looks. For example as a male; the more you attract women the better. The labels don't seem to care about the quality of the music or about the talents of individuals, it's only about maximised profits.

I disagree with you on this. I think growing a strong fanbase that is loyal to your band will be more than enough to get a label's attention. Don't think about your looks. Think about making music that will get you a solid fanbase.
I think one very useful tactic is to not put out any pictures or visual images of how anybody in the band looks. Just put out music. This will make people wonder how you look and it will make your band a bit of a mystery. This is just a little trick to play on the listerners (aka future fans) to be that more intrested in you. One of my favorite bands called The 1975 did this and it defiently worked on me. Not knowing how the people look in a band that you love can make you like them even more for some strange reason. Don't give people everything all at once.
Last edited by J23L at Nov 11, 2015,