Hey guys

Ive just started learning again and am pretty much just trying to learn songs i like rather than the scales etc as i tend to get worn out and bored if im not playing something I like!

Im wondering if there are any series on simple techniques, such as finger angles when freting chords and notes etc, beginner stuff, that i wouldnt learn by just practising songs!

Appreciate the help
Quote by InfernoUk
Im wondering if there are any series on simple techniques, such as finger angles when freting chords and notes

No, it all comes down to what you feel most comfortable with.
Quote by DanyFS
No, it all comes down to what you feel most comfortable with.

ah ok so theres no 'correct technique' just need to train my hand to hold the position however works?
try justinguitar.com its free and he goes over basic techniques for fingering chords
Quote by InfernoUk
ah ok so theres no 'correct technique' just need to train my hand to hold the position however works?

That is true. However, you may find a position that seems good, but it can be actually slowing you down. When you're a beginner, this can happen a few times. And this is why a teacher can be useful. But for most of the part, you should be fine.

If you're not sure about something, check videos of your favourite artists doing a certain technique and compare with how you're doing them. I've learned a lot from watching my favorite bands playing live and watching lots of covers of my favorite songs on youtube. It helped me figure out the best fretting hand positions, picking hand positions, etc, when I was starting out. Today, I can figure that stuff out for myself. But if you're a beginner, it can help a lot!

Quote by cav22s
try justinguitar.com its free and he goes over basic techniques for fingering chords

+1
The basic rule of thumb is that the minimal lightest touch you can do to produce the effect you want is the correct one. Leverage your entire body and gravity as much as possible. Don't squeeze your fingers. Relax into the playing. Your state of mind and movements should be downward and into the guitar rather than outwards and away.

That's sort of the high-level view of it as far as your inner state goes. Try and notice this whenever you start getting tensed and frustrated.
Often the key to good technique is being efficient i.e. train yourself to move from chord to chord with the smallest of movements. This allows far more potential for speed than sticking with you 'natural' technique.

There is nothing natural about playing the guitar so no reason to assume what comes naturally is the best approach. It rarely is.
Random tips from personal experience. First, if you're gonna be using distortion at all, then learn to mute properly and practice good muting. I had bad muting at the beginning and had to correct it later, and it took forever. Second, don't neglect dynamics; practice picking at the same tempo, but picking harder or softer to get different sounds. Third, for God's sake take some time to stretch your picking arm out during sessions and rest it for a while. Carpal/cubital tunnel is a bitch.

What style do you play? I can give you more pointed advice if you tell me that.