Page 1 of 2
who else watches this show?

it's so funny and well directed, just finished the first season.

always been a fan of Aziz Ansari

Aziz Ansari is most known for his party guy shenanigans as Tom Haverford on “Parks and Recreation” and his blunt style of stand-up comedy, But his new comedy, “Master of None,” which he co-wrote and executive produces along with Alan Yang, goes to a deeper and darker place than most have ever seen Ansari before.

On the surface, “Master of None” is a premium cable-like comedy exploring the single life of a 30 something aspiring actor named Dev (Ansari) in New York City. Instead of focusing on the single dating life though, Ansari digs into real issues like parenthood, heritage and representation on television. In many ways the show is more like Ansari’s answer to “Louie” rather than a guy version of “Girls.”
Quote by jrcsgtpeppers
There shall be a stop to this madness. The battle is not over. My tasty licks aren't going anywhere.

Quote by The_Blode
^ I've just realised if you say Simple Plan's 2011 effort "Get Your Heart On!" really fast in a Southern American accent, it sounds gross. . .like sexual gross!

Quote by Necroheadbanger
Hello.
I'm looking for professional bongo-ists and triangle-ists to make a Progressive Technical Brutal Death Metal band
(will be called AxOxJxLxAxIxVxXxUxWxZxQxUxRxWxGxJxSxAxLxKxMxNxHxUxGxAxAxWxVxCxBxZxVx)
(Don't even ask what it means)

https://soundcloud.com/95dank

Quote by Deliriumbassist
Nah, I've had Kung Fury on repeat for the past three days.

dude i watched that movie twice already

good shit
Quote by jrcsgtpeppers
There shall be a stop to this madness. The battle is not over. My tasty licks aren't going anywhere.

Quote by The_Blode
^ I've just realised if you say Simple Plan's 2011 effort "Get Your Heart On!" really fast in a Southern American accent, it sounds gross. . .like sexual gross!

Quote by Necroheadbanger
Hello.
I'm looking for professional bongo-ists and triangle-ists to make a Progressive Technical Brutal Death Metal band
(will be called AxOxJxLxAxIxVxXxUxWxZxQxUxRxWxGxJxSxAxLxKxMxNxHxUxGxAxAxWxVxCxBxZxVx)

Didn't expect much from it when I first started watching it, since I've never been a big fan of Aziz. But I gotta say, it turned out to be fucking great. Definitely recommend watching it.
Im watching ep 1 now. Aziz Ansari and Eric Wareheim seems like a really weird combination, but it's entertaining enough so far and the reviews are surprisingly good so I'll keep watching.
I just watched the first few eps today. I love it the 2nd episode is actually my parents (even the village his dad was from and what my mom did on her first day in america lol)
cat
Quote by guitarxo
I just watched the first few eps today. I love it the 2nd episode is actually my parents (even the village his dad was from and what my mom did on her first day in america lol)

yeah the characters in this show are spot on to what reality actually is, unlike most tv/movie portrayals of Indian guys, Asian men, and black women.

that's what keeps me engaged.

fresh characters with really funny, brutally honest dialogue.
Quote by jrcsgtpeppers

Quote by The_Blode

Quote by Necroheadbanger
Hello.

I liked when
his dad ordered spicy food at the Chinese restaurant and his mom was like, "You don't even like spicy food!"
because I had an Indian friend growing up and his parents did this when we went out to eat

ep. 3 hit pretty close to home, which was surprising. got some p srs feels goin' on
Last edited by MeGaDeth2314 at Nov 8, 2015,
Quote by k.lainad
yeah the characters in this show are spot on to what reality actually is, unlike most tv/movie portrayals of Indian guys, Asian men, and black women.

that's what keeps me engaged.

fresh characters with really funny, brutally honest dialogue.

yeah

I was reading some reviews earlier and they were denouncing the parents' acting but I think it really worked. They were playing themselves and if the parents were played by other people (not necessarily even people with acting experience) I feel like it might've turned them into caricatures, because that's pretty much what happens whenever there are Asian parents on a show. Even on other Asian shows I can't really relate to what they do even though I recognize the stereotypes because they're just so over the top. But It's portrayed so well here because that actually is his life. And not just with the parents (though that's what I latched onto when watching because it made me so emotional), the rest of the show is just...real. I can't wait to watch the rest of it.
cat
Quote by Deliriumbassist at #33671540
Nah, I've had Kung Fury on repeat for the past three days.

Gary won't shut up about that so I might give it a watch
dirtbag ballet by the bins down the alley
as i walk through the chalet of the shadow of death
everything that you've come to expect

I laughed when the kid threw the cake, and when aziz hit his head in the playground

that was it
idk i think i don't like comedy or something
will someone carry me across ten thousand miles under the silence
mhmmm
Quote by jrcsgtpeppers

Quote by The_Blode

Quote by Necroheadbanger
Hello.

Quote by Trowzaa
Gary won't shut up about that so I might give it a watch

I didn't
dirtbag ballet by the bins down the alley
as i walk through the chalet of the shadow of death
everything that you've come to expect

It's slightly too uncomfortable for me. Like maybe the second episode, where you've got his father reminiscing and Aziz is being an ungrateful dick in it? Shit makes me cringe so much that I can't see the humor in it. Might give it another crack tonight.
Quote by EndTheRapture51
who pays five hundred fucking dollars for a burger
Quote by Banjocal
Shit makes me cringe so much that I can't see the humor in it. 

It's not really supposed to be a comedy. It's more of a show you're supposed to be able to relate to being his age. The second episode was pretty relevant to me, having been in a similar situation.
Last edited by chrismendiola at May 13, 2017,
Pretty well done, honestly. Exceeded my expectations.
My God, it's full of stars!
Quote by chrismendiola
It's not really supposed to be a comedy. It's more of a show you're supposed to be able to relate to being his age. The second episode was pretty relevant to me, having been in a similar situation.
That's fair, and I get that it does have a serious point to it, but that episode genuinely bummed me the fuck out. It was really well done, but it kind of put me off. anyhow I think I'll watch it again tonight,give it another go
Quote by EndTheRapture51
Quote by Banjocal
That's fair, and I get that it does have a serious point to it, but that episode genuinely bummed me the fuck out.

I think that was kind of the point. Did you finish the episode?
Quote by chrismendiola
Ay, season 2 is out.

I finished it. Really great season; probably liked it better than the last. 
been sleeping on this show, gonna start it up
Quote by jrcsgtpeppers

Quote by The_Blode

Quote by Necroheadbanger
Hello.

k.lainad 

I finished the show when coming down on my first LSD trip. It was amazing. 
Dance in the moonlight my old friend twilight

Quote by metal4eva_22
What's this about ****ing corpses? My UG senses were tingling.
The time lapse episode of his relationship with that girl tore me apart so badly, fuck man. Excited to binge watch season 2 tho
Mean Mr Mustard 

this guy fuckng knows it!! One of the best hours spent ever.

Quote by metal4eva_22
I recant my previous criticisms this show is fucking great
Quote by EndTheRapture51
I've been debating giving this show a shot. I liked Aziz in parks and rec, but I'm very wary of comedies that try to do more than comedy. It can be absolutely fantastic, but it can also end up really exhausting.
THE FORUM UPDATE KILLED THE GRADIENT STAR

Baltimore Orioles: 2014 AL Eastern Division Champions, 2017: 75-87
Baltimore Ravens: 2012 World Champions, 2017: 4-5
2017 NFL Pick 'Em: 92-54
I'd agree with what was said above and say that it's not actually a comedy. It's kind of like an extended series of sketches of what it's like to lead an awkward late-twenties existence where everything is made a bit bigger and brighter (so the odd celebrity is included, or a more typical sitcom wacky moment happens). It's got laugh out loud sections, but there are also whole episodes dedicated to laying out a complex social issue that isn't preached about, but simultaneously isn't there as a mechanism to drive humour. IDK what you'd call it. It's almost like an anti-drama.
Quote by EndTheRapture51
Banjocal yeah its not very comedic but it can be very funny.

Its a great show. Incredbily relatable; the characters make moves and decisions i would make, even if its the wrong one.
Xbox Live: DeSquared94
PSN: desquared94
Honestly the intro sequence with the two main characters (maybe the second episode?) and their dads immediately sold me on the show.
My God, it's full of stars!
hi cuties!
I like St. Anger. Ridicule me, daddy

Quote by ErikLensherr

REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE
Quote by Dreadnought
stfu

Rude. I was on-topic. S2E2, Cap.
I like St. Anger. Ridicule me, daddy

Quote by ErikLensherr

REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE
Quote by Banjocal
IDK what you'd call it. It's almost like an anti-drama.

I think it's called "dramedy." Kind of like Louie in the sense of the balance between comedy and drama and that the star is a famous comedian. But the similarities really start and end there.
Oh wow season 2, so that's why this thread got revived. 

I am in love with Noel Wells.

so pure

Quote by metal4eva_22
Last edited by Nero Galon at May 14, 2017,
S2E3 holy shit that was too real. I had a mini fight w my parents about something similar a few days ago and their responses were exactly the same. Down to having me read the equivalent of a Quran with a lil note inside. Yes, I'm still gonna be scared of my parents in my thirties. I think I need to show them that episode.

Also I'm 90% convinced that Ramesh and my dad are the same person in different bodies.
cat
my mom still reminds me not to eat meat on Fridays during Lent even though we both know that I do not care & am gonna do it anyway lmao.
and Aziz's dad is killing it -- someone give this man a spin-off.
Quote by chrismendiola
I think it's called "dramedy." Kind of like Louie in the sense of the balance between comedy and drama and that the star is a famous comedian. But the similarities really start and end there.

I think of late 70s Woody Allen movies (Annie Hall, Manhattan) as a point of reference for both shows -- comedian-turned-auteur + NYC + romantic problems &c.

I like that season 2 does not revolve around the tedium of useless bourgie romance, though. at least Dev has a useless & alienating job instead of conveniently being able to live comfortably in NYC off royalties from a commercial -- now I feel like he is a more relatable character.

also Bicycle Thieves is g.o.a.t.
Season 2 aka Time For The Bad Feels
Quote by EndTheRapture51
Page 1 of 2