The title says it all, but basically ever since this great track has come out I've been obsessed by it. My question is what scale /mode is it. I suspect something like mixolydian or dorian , or an amalgamation of scales. It would be great to know, becausw I want to write something similar, as its so damn cool. For those who havent heard it , heres the link below:

https://youtu.be/cuvgkJAD6fE
C# minor. Some parts use a major tonic chord.

How to figure out it in the future? Find the tonic, figure out the chords. Many times not all of the notes in a riff or chords in a song fit the key signature. That doesn't mean the key changes. Basically if your tonic (home chord) is minor, you are in a minor key. If your tonic chord is major, you are in a major key. Though in this case all of the other chords were from minor except for the tonic chord in some parts so I would say it's still in minor, it's just using a major tonic. That's not rare either.

Also, remember that just because the song is in C# minor doesn't mean that the guitar solo only uses notes in the C# minor scale.
Quote by AlanHB
Just remember that there are no boring scales, just boring players.

Gear

Bach Stradivarius 37G
Charvel So Cal
Fender Dimension Bass
Hartke HyDrive 210c
Ibanez BL70
Laney VC30
Tokai TB48
Yamaha FG720S-12
Yamaha P115
Last edited by MaggaraMarine at Nov 8, 2015,
Oh okay, I did kinda assume C# minor but just the major chord threw me a bit, hence the question and suspecting some kind of mode. And well yh so is it only a major third changing in the solo then or is it something else. I just really wany to know the specifics, so I can write similar stuff
Quote by EpicGuitarGuy13
Oh okay, I did kinda assume C# minor but just the major chord threw me a bit, hence the question and suspecting some kind of mode. And well yh so is it only a major third changing in the solo then or is it something else. I just really wany to know the specifics, so I can write similar stuff

Well, I didn't listen to every note in that solo that accurately, but yeah, the third is what's changing over the tonic chord. I'm not completely sure if there are also some other accidentals used in the solo (I would expect it to use some other accidentals too).

I think the best way to figure it out would be learning to play the solo. Learn to play the whole song actually. That's the best way of learning a band's style. Learn it by ear.
Quote by AlanHB

Gear

Bach Stradivarius 37G
Charvel So Cal
Fender Dimension Bass
Hartke HyDrive 210c
Ibanez BL70
Laney VC30
Tokai TB48
Yamaha FG720S-12
Yamaha P115
Quote by EpicGuitarGuy13
f there is both a major and minor 3rd in the song (at different points), then you can call it "mode mixture". (No single mode has both.)
Whether you say it's "major key with other chords borrowed from parallel minor", or "minor key with a major tonic" is up to you.

If there's both a major and minor 3rd in the song all the way through - then it's the Blues, man! (That's a mode with a variable 3rd.)
Il stick with "the blues" then also any other recommendations of songs that do this to? So major/minor 3rd or should we just say ambigigous in general :p
Quote by jongtr
f there is both a major and minor 3rd in the song (at different points), then you can call it "mode mixture". (No single mode has both.)
Whether you say it's "major key with other chords borrowed from parallel minor", or "minor key with a major tonic" is up to you.

If there's both a major and minor 3rd in the song all the way through - then it's the Blues, man! (That's a mode with a variable 3rd.)

Did you listen to the song?

I don't agree with the blues explanation. The tonic chord is clearly major in certain parts and clearly minor in other parts. There's no ambiguity. No minor thirds over major chords or anything. You could call it the Picardy third (though I'm not sure if that's the correct explanation for it - but it's basically the same thing).

I would say the key is C#m because the chords are C#, A and F#m in the intro and guitar solo, and C#m, E, A and F#m in the verse and chorus. All of the other chords are diatonic to C#m except for the C# major chord in the intro and guitar solo.
Quote by AlanHB

Gear

Bach Stradivarius 37G
Charvel So Cal
Fender Dimension Bass
Hartke HyDrive 210c
Ibanez BL70
Laney VC30
Tokai TB48
Yamaha FG720S-12
Yamaha P115
Last edited by MaggaraMarine at Nov 8, 2015,
Quote by MaggaraMarine
Did you listen to the song?

I don't agree with the blues explanation.
I didn't say it was blues.
What I meant was that a song that did combine major and minor 3rds at the same time (or throughout) would be blues - or at least blues influenced.

IOW, my last paragraph wasn't relevant to this track. I was only adding another thought to your accurate summary. Apologies for confusing things!
Last edited by jongtr at Nov 9, 2015,
Quote by jongtr

please don't use the proper term for major/minor modes, you're gonna confuse the noobies
Quote by Kevätuhri
Hail isn't too edgy for posts, posts are not edgy enough for Hail.

Quote by UseYourThumb
You win. I'm done here.