Page 1 of 2
Hey guys, so im new to the UG forums, and basically ive been playing acoustic guitar for about 3 years now, and am looking to get into playing electric. I have a budget of around $1300 or $1400 for guitar, amp, cables, any pedals, and accessories like strings picks extra strap, stuff like that, i like to play punk, rock, classic rock, even kinda bluesy stuff sometimes, but nothing crazy high gain at all. And I would like some advice on what gear I could get for playing this kind of music, ideally id be able to play with a band with this rig but realize that might not be possible immediately without some upgrades down the road, any advice would be appreciated. I am definitely gonna go tube amps just fyi. I'm thinking about $500 on a guitar, another $400 or $500 for amp, and the rest for pedals and accessories. Thanks!
Last edited by jitteryloki at Nov 7, 2015,
Used Gibson Les Paul (Junior) Special with P90's or Humbuckers. Used Peavey Classic 2x12 or 4x10. I prefer the 2x12 personally, but a 4x10 has its own coolness factor.
Gear: Gibson Les Paul Studio, Gibson SG Special, Fender Stratocaster, Fender Telecaster, Fender Jazzmaster, Gretsch Pro Jet, Carvin C350, Epiphone ES-339 P90, Epiphone ES-335 Pro. Peavey 6505, Sovtek MIG-100, Vox AC30, Peavey XXX.
jitteryloki - there are TONS of guitars in your price range. you have to find something that fits you. single coils or humbuckers? what body shapes do you like?

i would look for a marshall DSL401 or a DSL40C amp. they would do well for everything you are looking for.

as far as cables goes, find something in the $20-$30 range. some like fender, some like livewires, etc. you may want to get one with a warranty, typically you can just swap them for new ones across the counter. i would get two, i would recommend getting a 20 footer.

i would recommend an overdrive pedal, something like a tube screamer. on the cheap, digitech bad monkeys aren't bad. the EXH soul food is actually pretty nice too but a little different. there are tons of others.

i can't recommend just going to a store and playing what they have and trying out enough. see what feels right for you.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Quote by anthonymarisc
Fender Strat MIM/Epiphone SG, Orange CR60C, then whatever you want.

Orange crush amps aren't that great and are way overpriced.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
Last edited by dannyalcatraz at Nov 7, 2015,
A mexican strat is a good start. Marshall dsl40c and Fender hotrod deluxe are both great tube amps and quite versatile. A ts9 is a cool pedal for blues/classic rock. With the fender amp i would recommend a distortion pedal.
Thank you guys so much for all of your responses, i was looking at probably a new guitar, used amp, maybe used pedals, i played a mojomojo overdrive the other day a friend had and loved the feel it had, and in front of a proco rat 2 it was a beast, ThunderPunk, i like your idea of the used peavey classic, just gotta get myself ahold of one haha, im usually into single coils but with the amount of variety i like to play i figure i should try to get as much versatility as possible, anybody play a Fender Modern Player Tele Plus?
Im not really much of a strat guy, played a few MIM strats in guitar center, prefered the tele standard, but the modern players were outta stock when i went in last time.
Used G&L ASAT Deluxe carved top $300ish used

Marshall DSL401 $500ish used

then grab a few pedals or a MFX unit so you have some variety

I have been using Levy's leather straps for almost 20yrs. The Sued ones are nice and not too expensive.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Robbgnarly those G&L ASAT's look awesome, ive never had the chance to play one tho how do they sound distorted?
Quote by jitteryloki
Robbgnarly those G&L ASAT's look awesome, ive never had the chance to play one tho how do they sound distorted?

They sound good. I have one and it was a great buy.

The nice thing about the G&L Tribute series is they use the hardware and electronics that are found in their USA models, so you get really good stuff.

I play in a hardcore/punk band and a prog/rock band and it works just fine
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by Robbgnarly
They sound good. I have one and it was a great buy.

The nice thing about the G&L Tribute series is they use the hardware and electronics that are found in their USA models, so you get really good stuff.

I play in a hardcore/punk band and a prog/rock band and it works just fine

Well awesome, ill definitely look at grabbing one, new the carved top deluxe is $499.99 and i think that and a used Carvin Nomad or Belaire would put me right around my price range i want. Thanks for your help
Quote by jitteryloki
Well awesome, ill definitely look at grabbing one, new the carved top deluxe is $499.99 and i think that and a used Carvin Nomad or Belaire would put me right around my price range i want. Thanks for your help

Musicians Friend is always putting them on deals for $399 new if your patient

I have the Trans-black and I bought mine as a level 4 scratch and dent from MF for $287 and all that was wrong was the 3 way switch had broken off. It is a $3 part and took all of 15 min to fix
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
could you list some bands you like for those genres you listed? just in case our idea of those genres is different from yours.

the way you've split the budget sounds good. depending on exactly what you play and what you need you could maybe even put another hundred onto both the guitar and amp budget, since you might not need tons of pedals (or if you do, pedals in most instances are a place where you can cheap out, at least with judicious pedal selection, and still get stuff which is decent).
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by jitteryloki

Definitely check eBay, Reverb, and other sites for used ones- the G&Ls and the Carvins. Should be able to find used ones in good condition, stretching your pedal budget.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Punk like NOFX Rancid Social Distortion, Rock and Classic Rock like AC/DC Cream Hendrix, and when i say blusey i mean just screwing around, not much, most of the music i like would be overdrive and maybe light distortion, nothing crazy high gain like metal. Probably a delay like a Caline Blue Ocean in there too.
Quote by dannyalcatraz
Definitely check eBay, Reverb, and other sites for used ones- the G&Ls and the Carvins. Should be able to find used ones in good condition, stretching your pedal budget.

Exactly. I was planning on picking up the amp on the cheap and a good quality used G&L reasonably priced, and like the other guy said, if i find a deal for less than $500 on the guitar id probably buy new. Stretching my pedal budget for versatility and better quality effects just makes sense to me.. Cheers!
Carvin Nomad/Bel-air sound like dog poo on the gain channel. Not really a good punk amp.
Gear: Gibson Les Paul Studio, Gibson SG Special, Fender Stratocaster, Fender Telecaster, Fender Jazzmaster, Gretsch Pro Jet, Carvin C350, Epiphone ES-339 P90, Epiphone ES-335 Pro. Peavey 6505, Sovtek MIG-100, Vox AC30, Peavey XXX.
guitar is more of a personal choice so can't contribute suggestion for that.. I personally like Washburn guitars, but own Fenders, Squiers, and also have a Peavey and Ibanez electric. Since you mentioned you like the TC Electronic Mojo Mojo, i suggest getting the Sparks Booster, Mojo Mojo OD, Dark Matter Distortion, Hall of Fame reverb, Gravy (or Corona) chorus, Flashback X4 delay, Ditto Looper x2, Vortex flanger (if you like that kind of effect).. Digitech Screamin Blues OD/distortion is also nice pedal for the price.. For powering the pedals, you have two options: get isolated power supply (more money) or power supply and daisy chain to 8 pedals (I use VisualSound 1 Spot (now called TrueTone) if you go this route, do yourself a favor and get the combo pack (included are the daisy chain connector and other plug attachment) Digitech Polara reverb and Obscura altered delay are also nice to have.
I have Washburn guitars 'Maverick Series' and bass 'Bantam Series' and a few pedals and amps, but man I wish to have more patience and drive practicing my playing, if it's equal to the modding itch, then I'm golden.
Quote by ThunderPunk
Carvin Nomad/Bel-air sound like dog poo on the gain channel. Not really a good punk amp.

I won't say you're wrong- a lot of amps that deliver great cleans don't do so well with their crunch channels. Especially in the case of the sub-$1000 amps.

If punk and more gain-y stuff are more important than the classic rock stuff, you might spend a bit more and look at something like a Carvin V3M combo:
https://reverb.com/item/1074852-carvin-v3m-micro-3-channel-tube-amp-2013

Or Orange Tiny Terror combo:
https://reverb.com/marketplace/amps?query=orange+tiny+terror+combo&product_type=amps&sort=price%7Casc

Last edited by dannyalcatraz at Nov 8, 2015,
Quote by ThunderPunk

I was gonna just use pedals for OD and distortion, but turns out a friend of mine has a peavey classic series combo that im gonna get to play tomorrow, ill report back on the sound.
Quote by psp742
guitar is more of a personal choice so can't contribute suggestion for that.. I personally like Washburn guitars, but own Fenders, Squiers, and also have a Peavey and Ibanez electric. Since you mentioned you like the TC Electronic Mojo Mojo, i suggest getting the Sparks Booster, Mojo Mojo OD, Dark Matter Distortion, Hall of Fame reverb, Gravy (or Corona) chorus, Flashback X4 delay, Ditto Looper x2, Vortex flanger (if you like that kind of effect).. Digitech Screamin Blues OD/distortion is also nice pedal for the price.. For powering the pedals, you have two options: get isolated power supply (more money) or power supply and daisy chain to 8 pedals (I use VisualSound 1 Spot (now called TrueTone) if you go this route, do yourself a favor and get the combo pack (included are the daisy chain connector and other plug attachment) Digitech Polara reverb and Obscura altered delay are also nice to have.

i love tc's pedals, but the proco rat holds a special place in my heart for distortion, i might go with their delay over the blue ocean by caline if the price is justifiable for the difference in sound tho.
the marshal dsl40's look pretty decent and seem to sound well and have the versatility i want, but nobody around here seems to have one and my nearest REAL music store is almost 4 hours drive from me, soo..
Quote by jitteryloki
I was gonna just use pedals for OD and distortion, but turns out a friend of mine has a peavey classic series combo that im gonna get to play tomorrow, ill report back on the sound.

FWIW, that's what I do with my Fender HRD- notorious for having a bad crunch channel- and it's fine for everything except really heavy stuff. If-as you say- you're not going to need it, you'll be fine.

Lots of good suggestions here.
Have a look at the Fender Baja Telecaster.
I don't know how they sound, but one day when I went into Guitar Center (amp shopping) I tried out a Baja Telecaster (I'm guessing it was an MIM since it was only about $400).
The neck had a great feel and I almost bought it.
But as I said I was looking for an amp (ended up getting a used Vox Valvetronix AD30VT), but I still kinda regret that I didn't get that Telecaster that day.

I know you said you're not a Strat guy, but if you do start looking in that direction, and go to the MIM, try to get one made in the mid 90's.
Those are supposed to be very well made.
I've got a 1996 MIM Strat myself and after trying probably close to 100 Strats and being disappointed every time, I tried a 1996 MIM Strat in a small music store and bought it that day.
I've also heard good things about the Epiphone SG (The G 400 model, or the Tony Iommi series) but not the Special or the 300 series, those I have heard less than stellar reviews about.

But guitars, you really should try out in person before you buy.
With one exception, I have tried ALL my guitars in person before I bought it.
The only exception was my Ibanez S570DXQM, but I had tried a S470DXQM (The predecessor to the S570DXQM) a few years previously and loved it.
The GF I had at the time kinda got in the way of me buying that one though
Which really sucked cause it was a beautiful clear amber/honey color with beautiful a wood grain.

The Ibanez S470/S570/S670 , The 670 is the current number/version of that series, and it is, IMHO, a GREAT guitar.
But its just a tiny little bit above your stated budget S670QM at Sweetwater
They may talk about it like its a shredders type of guitar, but I'm no shredder.
I don't know if it will do Punk, but it does Rock, Hard Rock, Classic Rock, Southern Rock (A compressor really helps there), Metal, and yes, even Blues.
I mainly play Blues, Classic Rock and Southern Rock and that Ibanez is my #1 guitar.
I did change the stock pickups to Dimarzio Evolution Pickups though.
Even with hotter pickups, it can still do Blues quite well.

If I had to give up all my guitar gear but one amp and one guitar, it would be that S570 and my AC30.

The Epiphone LP is also a good choice.
There are many versions of the Epiphone LP so its kind of hard to single out the best one, but I would avoid the ones with bolt on necks.
They are generally the lower budget, cheaper made models.

The AC30 is a great amp but double your budget, unless you get lucky and find one used in your price range.
But a Vox AC15 can be had in your price range and cold probably do fine in a band situation.
Normally, 15 watts is not enough in a band situation (drummers get LOUD), but the Vox AC15 and AC30 are probably THE LOUDEST amps there are in their respective wattage ratings class.

The Fender Hot Rod series are decent amps.
They have a nice clean channel, but their dirt, or overdrive channel is shit.

Peavey Valveking is also a nice amp.
IMO, while its not extraordinary at anything, it does everything fairly decently.

Peavey Classic 30 is also another good and well regarded amp.
Last edited by CodeMonk at Nov 8, 2015,
Another guitar worth considering is the Godin Richmond Belmont. I believe they discontinued it this year. It is an unusual guitar*: HSS hardtail with 5 way selector, 24.75" scale bolt on. In a body reminiscent of an SG.

https://reverb.com/marketplace?query=Godin+Belmont+Richmond

http://www.ebay.com/itm/GODIN-Belmont-Richmond-Series-Black-Wash-Rosewood-/321525638304?hash=item4adc6be4a0:g:j3oAAOxy3yNTg270

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Godin-Richmond-Belmont-Electric-Guitar-with-Case-Black-/111817073647?hash=item1a08d123ef:g:AXIAAOSw5VFWO8XS

* Godin has a history of producing some quirky but good guitars. Their SD and SDxt were essentially a Strat and Superstrat in LPclone bodies, respectively

Last edited by dannyalcatraz at Nov 8, 2015,
Quote by dannyalcatraz
Another guitar worth considering is the Godin Richmond Belmont. I believe they discontinued it this year. It is an unusual guitar*: HSS hardtail with 5 way selector, 24.75" scale bolt on. In a body reminiscent of an SG.

https://reverb.com/marketplace?query=Godin+Belmont+Richmond

http://www.ebay.com/itm/GODIN-Belmont-Richmond-Series-Black-Wash-Rosewood-/321525638304?hash=item4adc6be4a0:g:j3oAAOxy3yNTg270

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Godin-Richmond-Belmont-Electric-Guitar-with-Case-Black-/111817073647?hash=item1a08d123ef:g:AXIAAOSw5VFWO8XS

* Godin has a history of producing some quirky but good guitars. Their SD and SDxt were essentially a Strat and Superstrat in LPclone bodies, respectively

I'd like to see that in a Metallic Blue, Candy Apple Red, or Honey/Amber.
All of them translucent finishes.

That would grain looks gorgeous.
Quote by CodeMonk
Lots of good suggestions here.
Have a look at the Fender Baja Telecaster.
I don't know how they sound, but one day when I went into Guitar Center (amp shopping) I tried out a Baja Telecaster (I'm guessing it was an MIM since it was only about $400).
The neck had a great feel and I almost bought it.
But as I said I was looking for an amp (ended up getting a used Vox Valvetronix AD30VT), but I still kinda regret that I didn't get that Telecaster that day.

I know you said you're not a Strat guy, but if you do start looking in that direction, and go to the MIM, try to get one made in the mid 90's.
Those are supposed to be very well made.
I've got a 1996 MIM Strat myself and after trying probably close to 100 Strats and being disappointed every time, I tried a 1996 MIM Strat in a small music store and bought it that day.
I've also heard good things about the Epiphone SG (The G 400 model, or the Tony Iommi series) but not the Special or the 300 series, those I have heard less than stellar reviews about.

But guitars, you really should try out in person before you buy.
With one exception, I have tried ALL my guitars in person before I bought it.
The only exception was my Ibanez S570DXQM, but I had tried a S470DXQM (The predecessor to the S570DXQM) a few years previously and loved it.
The GF I had at the time kinda got in the way of me buying that one though
Which really sucked cause it was a beautiful clear amber/honey color with beautiful a wood grain.

The Ibanez S470/S570/S670 , The 670 is the current number/version of that series, and it is, IMHO, a GREAT guitar.
But its just a tiny little bit above your stated budget S670QM at Sweetwater
They may talk about it like its a shredders type of guitar, but I'm no shredder.
I don't know if it will do Punk, but it does Rock, Hard Rock, Classic Rock, Southern Rock (A compressor really helps there), Metal, and yes, even Blues.
I mainly play Blues, Classic Rock and Southern Rock and that Ibanez is my #1 guitar.
I did change the stock pickups to Dimarzio Evolution Pickups though.
Even with hotter pickups, it can still do Blues quite well.

If I had to give up all my guitar gear but one amp and one guitar, it would be that S570 and my AC30.

The Epiphone LP is also a good choice.
There are many versions of the Epiphone LP so its kind of hard to single out the best one, but I would avoid the ones with bolt on necks.
They are generally the lower budget, cheaper made models.

The AC30 is a great amp but double your budget, unless you get lucky and find one used in your price range.
But a Vox AC15 can be had in your price range and cold probably do fine in a band situation.
Normally, 15 watts is not enough in a band situation (drummers get LOUD), but the Vox AC15 and AC30 are probably THE LOUDEST amps there are in their respective wattage ratings class.

The Fender Hot Rod series are decent amps.
They have a nice clean channel, but their dirt, or overdrive channel is shit.

Peavey Valveking is also a nice amp.
IMO, while its not extraordinary at anything, it does everything fairly decently.

Peavey Classic 30 is also another good and well regarded amp.

Ill have to look into that tele, i like the looks of the modern player tele, but thatd limit my amp budget a bit as theyre a bit difficult to find used around $400, im not much of an ibanez type, tried a few but couldnt stand the ibanez pup's, ive heard pretty good things about the valve kings. not bad used prices either
Hey! anybody try out the Bugera V55 infinium? i tried the head version out at a small shop and loved it, if anybody has had any probs with them please speak up
I haven't heard much bad about the V55 Infinum amps. I actually sold some speakers to a guy who owned one and all he did was rave about how nice it sounds and how he uses it instead of his bassman for gigs.
Quote by CodeMonk
I'd like to see that in a Metallic Blue, Candy Apple Red, or Honey/Amber.
All of them translucent finishes.

That would grain looks gorgeous.

Besides the Trans black, they also make it in a nice Trans wine red.

Quote by jitteryloki
Punk like NOFX Rancid Social Distortion, Rock and Classic Rock like AC/DC Cream Hendrix, and when i say blusey i mean just screwing around, not much, most of the music i like would be overdrive and maybe light distortion, nothing crazy high gain like metal. Probably a delay like a Caline Blue Ocean in there too.

thanks. if you don't find them a bit boring/sterile (i love them) i'd probably consider an HSS strat/superstrat-style guitar.

i'd probably try to get something with a fendery clean channel and marshally od channel. traynor ycv50 blue might be worth considering, depending on where you are or if you're looking at used examples there might be better options (mesa express would likely do it too).

if the amp covers most of the tones there's not a ton of need for dirt pedals- an od is usually handy (something tubescreamer- or boss sd1-style, most likely, for a solo boost), and maybe a fuzz for hendrix and the like (probably something fuzz face-based).

a delay rarely hurts either, as you said. maybe a wah, again for hendrix and cream.

Quote by jitteryloki

that'd do it. i often forget about peavey because they're fairly expensive in europe.

i think the 50 has the better rep (i haven't tried it) but even the 30 is pretty nice and would work pretty well for the tones you're after I think. especially with a speaker swap at some point i would guess, since peavey speakers don't have much of a rep.

i haven't tried the bugera. i think the v series has a better rep than the high gainers- the high gainers sound great (by almost all accounts), just the reliability is considered to be not that great.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Last edited by Dave_Mc at Nov 9, 2015,
Quote by Dave_Mc
thanks. if you don't find them a bit boring/sterile (i love them) i'd probably consider an HSS strat/superstrat-style guitar.

i'd probably try to get something with a fendery clean channel and marshally od channel. traynor ycv50 blue might be worth considering, depending on where you are or if you're looking at used examples there might be better options (mesa express would likely do it too).

if the amp covers most of the tones there's not a ton of need for dirt pedals- an od is usually handy (something tubescreamer- or boss sd1-style, most likely, for a solo boost), and maybe a fuzz for hendrix and the like (probably something fuzz face-based).

a delay rarely hurts either, as you said. maybe a wah, again for hendrix and cream.

that'd do it. i often forget about peavey because they're fairly expensive in europe.

i think the 50 has the better rep (i haven't tried it) but even the 30 is pretty nice and would work pretty well for the tones you're after I think. especially with a speaker swap at some point i would guess, since peavey speakers don't have much of a rep.

i haven't tried the bugera. i think the v series has a better rep than the high gainers- the high gainers sound great (by almost all accounts), just the reliability is considered to be not that great.

Ill have to look at those Traynor's they sound awesome, i played that Peavey and i liked it, like one of the others mentioned, good at everything, great at nothing, but even used theyre a bit on the expensive side considering getting one even used would mean a used guitar, where a bugera v55 could be had new and a new guitar and keep me below $900, thanks for the help!
Quote by jitteryloki
Ill have to look at those Traynor's they sound awesome, i played that Peavey and i liked it, like one of the others mentioned, good at everything, great at nothing, but even used theyre a bit on the expensive side considering getting one even used would mean a used guitar, where a bugera v55 could be had new and a new guitar and keep me below $900, thanks for the help!

Yes, but the Traynor is way better quality, just something to think about.

And going used on amps and guitars means that you can basically get gear that would cost about 2x your budget new.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by jitteryloki

The Peavey Classics wake up with a few simple adjustments - upgrade the tubes and a speaker swap (easier and cheaper to do with the 1x12 or 2x12 models than the 4x10). Though that is additional cost, it isn't a necessary immediate thing to do. It sounds good, not great in stock form. It sounds even better with a few changes that can be done later on to improve it when the budget allows for it. Most combo amps, even some from higher end manufacturers, will benefit from a speaker swap.
Quote by Robbgnarly
Yes, but the Traynor is way better quality, just something to think about.

And going used on amps and guitars means that you can basically get gear that would cost about 2x your budget new.

Fair enough, i just havent ever even laid eyes on any taynor amp in person, and ive actually played the bugera v55, and liked it a lot. With a pair of 'buckers and the gain channel, it sounded fantastic for a hard rock tone.
Quote by jitteryloki
Fair enough, i just havent ever even laid eyes on any taynor amp in person, and ive actually played the bugera v55, and liked it a lot. With a pair of 'buckers and the gain channel, it sounded fantastic for a hard rock tone.

That is fair. Honestly I have only seen 2 of their guitar amps and I have no idea what they actually were

But I have owned a Bugera 333 and it was built so cheap it wasn't funny.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by jitteryloki
Ill have to look into that tele, i like the looks of the modern player tele, but thatd limit my amp budget a bit as theyre a bit difficult to find used around $400, im not much of an ibanez type, tried a few but couldnt stand the ibanez pup's, ive heard pretty good things about the valve kings. not bad used prices either

Yeah, I wasn't thrilled with the stock pups on my Ibanez either.
Kinda like the Valveking, good at everything, great at nothing.
The Evolution pups really woke it up though.
For me they work great at everything I play from Blues to Early Metal (Technique plays a HUGE role there though).
But that was around a $200 upgrade. For an $850 guitar (That was with the case, without the case it was around $750).
The dumb bastards of Guitar Center had them as the Neck and Bridge as a set and I had to buy the middle pup by itself. It wasn't part of the set, at least what they had.
Yeah, I probably could have gotten them cheaper somewhere else, but money was not an issue at the time and I wanted them NOW!!!!

But yeah, definitely look into that Baja Tele.

And as someone else mentioned, tube and speaker swap can really wake up an amp.
And its not something you need to do right away.
So you can get an amp that come close to what you want, then swap the tubes and/or speakers later on to dial in the sound you are looking for.

Another thing to keep in mind, given what I just said...
Some people spend years and thousands and thousands of dollars chasing the tone the hear in their head, but never achieve it, but they may never consider that their playing style and technique is also a link in the chain to getting the sound/tone they want.

Page 1 of 2