I feel like I am the only teen (12-20) who is into van HALEN, sabbath, and Nugent? I look at all of the other "guitarists" who play things like ed sheeran and Taylor Swift and it really makes me doubt the skills and real rock influence of real rock music on kids my age these days. Rock guitarists please respond!
lol kids dont even have any motivation to play guitar anymore.

most people listen to electronic music or the crap they play on the radio.

any person who has picked up the guitar in the last 20 years MOST LIKELY has influence from bands ranging from the beatles, van halen, pink floyd, ac/dc.... all the way to nirvana, green day, chili peppers...

you get the gist.

the only "justin bieber" guitar players i see are playing cheap acoustic guitars so they can learn a few bright chords and do covers.

they aren't in it for the real learning experience, or to create their own, individual sound.

been playing guitar for over 6 years btw, electric.
Quote by jrcsgtpeppers
There shall be a stop to this madness. The battle is not over. My tasty licks aren't going anywhere.

Quote by The_Blode
^ I've just realised if you say Simple Plan's 2011 effort "Get Your Heart On!" really fast in a Southern American accent, it sounds gross. . .like sexual gross!

Quote by Necroheadbanger
Hello.
I'm looking for professional bongo-ists and triangle-ists to make a Progressive Technical Brutal Death Metal band
(will be called AxOxJxLxAxIxVxXxUxWxZxQxUxRxWxGxJxSxAxLxKxMxNxHxUxGxAxAxWxVxCxBxZxVx)
(Don't even ask what it means)

https://soundcloud.com/95dank

Totally agree maybe it's the exposure on YouTube and the radio to rap and pop that makes kids narrowminded musically
Is it bad that I was expecting the typical "comment if you are part of the 5% of teens who still listen to real music" thing.

Then again, kids are exposed to many different sources of music in the the new millennium. You can have guitarists who started playing in the past 10 years from influences ranging from The Beatles to Cannibal Corpse to Ed Sheeran to Van Halen among many other artists.

Either way, most teens pickup guitar to learn a few of their favorite songs (whether 4-chord pop songs or '80s metal) and quit after a couple years. It's the nature of it, and you'll certainly notice it.
Skip the username, call me Billy
because 80s and 70s is a genre
Quote by korinaflyingv
On the come up we were listening to Grateful Dead and the music started passing through my bowel and out my arsehole as this violet stream of light. I shat music. It was beautiful.
Who gives a shit? Not everyone wants to play the music you like and that's a great thing. It means we can get more interesting and cross-inspired styles of music instead of incestually "breeding" the same kind of genre or style for decades. Also this smacks of the attention seeking kids on Youtube you find on classic rock songs who look to find affirmation for their tastes in music.
Last edited by NothingRocks at Nov 7, 2015,
Well to clarify, this wasn't meant to be a " look at me, I'm a teen who likes claasic rock' it was more of a post to see if there are indeed any other teen guitarists with the same musical taste.

It is actually annoying as shit to see kids "I was born in the wrong generation". And of course, there is nothing wrong with just knowing 4 chords .
Quote by vanhalenwannabe
Well to clarify, this wasn't meant to be a " look at me, I'm a teen who likes claasic rock' it was more of a post to see if there are indeed any other teen guitarists with the same musical taste.

It is actually annoying as shit to see kids "I was born in the wrong generation". And of course, there is nothing wrong with just knowing 4 chords .

No worries, but you're better off talking around the genre forums and such assuming they're not dead yet.
Quote by NothingRocks
No worries, but you're better off talking around the genre forums and such assuming they're not dead yet.

Oh OK
Quote by NothingRocks

as in, anybody who genuinely discusses music in the genre forums are hunted down and murdered by music corporations.

god speed, young man

Quote by Pastafarian96
I an evety characyer in this story
Quote by NothingRocks at #33671952
Who gives a shit? Not everyone wants to play the music you like and that's a great thing. It means we can get more interesting and cross-inspired styles of music instead of incestually "breeding" the same kind of genre or style for decades. Also this smacks of the attention seeking kids on Youtube you find on classic rock songs who look to find affirmation for their tastes in music.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CyPP8fc0tLY
ggg1 ggg3

I'm 19

I listen to old music

I also enjoy some new music but I rarely go out of my way to listen to it

Just the way I swing.
A poem.
Quote by yoman297
no girl, movember isnt for you. shave your stache pls

I can out-bore you any day
If you could be bothered to look, you'll found out there's hundreds of recording guitarists who are fantastic players and more than worthy of being heroes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bt-RoSzsEKA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qoGSUOVrlkk

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kXoUu2V2m30

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FXCyNwKtesM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UXxZ3exL26U
o()o

Quote by JamSessionFreak
yes every night of my entire life i go to bed crying because i wasnt born american
wank rock?

wank rock.
mugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmug
Quote by vanhalenwannabe
Totally agree maybe it's the exposure on YouTube and the radio to rap and pop that makes kids narrowminded musically

Irony that by panning Ed Sheeran, Taylor Swift and pretty much all pop, you're also being a narrowminded kid

Just listen to whatever you like and let others listen to what they like.

You'd probs be a bit pissed if everyone started walking around in Van Halen and Sabbath t-shirts proclaiming that War Pigs is 'their jam' or that Unchained is their couple song or something stupid.

I love the 70s and 80s stuff, and probably listen to a lot of the stuff you do, but there's room for all the current chart stuff and grime, EDM, hip hop etc. too.
'And after a while, you can work on points for style.
Like the club tie, and the firm handshake,
A certain look in the eye and an easy smile.'

'You have to be trusted by the people that you lie to,
So that when they turn their backs on you,
You'll get the chance to put the knife in.'
Last edited by digman50 at Nov 8, 2015,
Quote by vanhalenwannabe
I look at all of the other "guitarists" who play things like ed sheeran and Taylor Swift and it really makes me doubt the skills and real rock influence of real rock music on kids my age these days. Rock guitarists please respond!

probably because rock music isn't relevant to anyone's life right now
Quote by k.lainad
lol kids dont even have any motivation to play guitar anymore.

most people listen to electronic music or the crap they play on the radio.

lol this is a real opinion tho

Quote by k.lainad
the only "justin bieber" guitar players i see are playing cheap acoustic guitars so they can learn a few bright chords and do covers.

they aren't in it for the real learning experience, or to create their own, individual sound.

Quote by vanhalenwannabe

Quote by digman50
Irony that by panning Ed Sheeran, Taylor Swift and pretty much all pop, you're also being a narrowminded kid

Just listen to whatever you like and let others listen to what they like.

Quote by tateandlyle
probably because rock music isn't relevant to anyone's life right now

i like rock but basically this like who even cares especially 80s stuff like it was a trend 30 years ago there's a reason it's not anymore

also lol @ "real" rock music

live a little
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
Youre officially uber shit now.

Quote by StewieSwan
3d9310rd is far more upset than i 

Quote by Bladez22
I'm a moron tho apparently and everyone should listen to you oh wise pretentious one
The majority of the music I listen to and am inspired by took place in the 70's.

Gentle Giant
Soft Machine
Van Der Graaf Generator
Miles Davis
Mahavishnu Orchestra
Caravan
Genesis
Yes
King Crimson

Been listening to Caravan's album If I Could Do It All
Over Again I'd Do It All Over You on repeat the last couple days.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=CcxS-HU2qH0

Love this composition, one of my favorites across their discography.
Quote by soundgarden1986
taylor swift is better than van halen tho

i don't even like taylor swift, like, at all, and i agree with this.
mugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmug
Quote by vanhalenwannabe
it really makes me doubt the skills and real rock influence of real rock music on kids my age these days

That's a truly beautiful thing.
There's no such thing; there never was. Where I am going you cannot follow me now.
Swift and Sheeran are 10x the musicians OP is

longing rusted furnace daybreak seventeen benign nine homecoming one freight car
I am 21 and have been playing guitar for about 10 years. I play all genres if music but I would have to say that the 70's/80's era is for sure my favourite. I think the point of the post (and please correct me if I'm mistaken) is that being in this age group and being influenced by the artists of years past, makes finding bandmates extremely difficult. I hear someone say "Oh ya y'know I'm a drummer" so I naturally start talking about guys like Lars Ulrich and Nico McBrain, meanwhile said "drummer" only makes beats on his computer so he can add a bunch of star wars esque sounds to it and call it Music. It's not necessarily a matter of who is better, but a matter of having an entire era of music pretty much forgotten by the younger generation.
Quote by MN9800
"Oh ya y'know I'm a drummer"

People that make beats don't call themselves drummers literally nobody's ever done that.
Quote by MN9800
call it Music.

I mean that is the correct word for it so like, good on them for speaking English
Quote by MN9800
It's not necessarily a matter of who is better, but a matter of having an entire era of music pretty much forgotten by the younger generation.

Nobody's forgotten about it it was just completely regrettable.
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
Youre officially uber shit now.

Quote by StewieSwan
3d9310rd is far more upset than i 

Quote by Bladez22
I'm a moron tho apparently and everyone should listen to you oh wise pretentious one
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Nobody's forgotten about it it was just completely regrettable.

longing rusted furnace daybreak seventeen benign nine homecoming one freight car
Just play whatever the fuck you want. It doesn't matter and no one cares. Music is pointless
___

Quote by The_Blode
she was saying things like... do you want to netflix and chill but just the chill part...too bad she'll never know that I only like the Netflix part...
that's funny cuz I feel like every person I meet that plays guitar is just rehashing the same shitty blues pentatonic licks that have been raped for the past 40 years and called 'classic rock'
Check out my band Disturbed
Quote by soundgarden1986 at #33672388
taylor swift is better than van halen tho

Yea Van Halen is pretty terrible.