Looking for a combo amp the would work well with a POD HD processor. From what I've read, you need a good clean channel for this. If this is true, will an inexpensive solid state combo like a fender mustang or champion reasonably fit the bill? Or are there better choices under $500?
Quote by columbiar
Looking for a combo amp the would work well with a POD HD processor. From what I've read, you need a good clean channel for this. If this is true, will an inexpensive solid state combo like a fender mustang or champion reasonably fit the bill? Or are there better choices under $500?

the mustang is modeling, your pod does modeling. you don't want that.

the champion is a low wattage amp, no headroom, if you turn it up you will distort.

i would look for a tube amp. i imagine a fender HRD would be good to go with for the POD. all tube, nice headroom, good overall tone. they go used in your budget.

if you want a really nice fendery tone something a little bigger that is hybrid, i love my musicman combo. i got it for $300. they are hybrid, but are very friendly with pedals. stays clean for days.

there are soooo many options though.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
Last edited by dannyalcatraz at Nov 8, 2015,
danny, what you need is a new amp .
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
If you use the pod for amp modelling and not just for FX, I'd rather go with powered FRFR speakers than an actual combo, since combos always color the sound from your processors.
Quote by Rem_Sing
If you use the pod for amp modelling and not just for FX, I'd rather go with powered FRFR speakers than an actual combo, since combos always color the sound from your processors.

yes and no.

yes in that it would work.

no in that maybe you would want a real amp, monitors don't make a guitar sound without a processor. i would personally go for an amp so it could be used for more things.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!
Personally, I would use either an FRFR speaker as Rem_Sing mentioned. Alternatively, I think the POD would be better paired with a power amp and cab than a combo. The POD's preamp modelling is far better than its cabinet modelling.
Guitars & Gear:
Parker Nitefly M
Sumer Metal Driver
Ibanez RGD2120Z
AMT SS-11B
Two Notes Torpedo CAB
Atomic used to make a tube powered guitar cab specifically designed for the POD and other modelers.

The Tech 21 power engine is also a powered guitar cab worth a look.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by trashedlostfdup
yes and no.

no in that maybe you would want a real amp, monitors don't make a guitar sound without a processor. i would personally go for an amp so it could be used for more things.

Actually, there are monitors that have processors built in. The Carvin PM-12A and PM-15A, for example, actually have a mini mixer on the back.

It's routine, these days, to use one of these with a Multi-FX unit that provides Amp/Cab modeling:

Quote by Robbgnarly
Atomic used to make a tube powered guitar cab specifically designed for the POD and other modelers.

The Tech 21 power engine is also a powered guitar cab worth a look.

Both excellent suggestions if you want the traditional look. Neither, however, is actually an FRFR speaker setup, and both do color the output and limit it (particularly in the upper regions).

I have three of the original Atomic Reactor amps. The 1x12 versions came with either an 18W or a 50W tube power amp (EL84s or 6L6s, respectively) designed by Harry Kolbe. Both were oversized and closed back, but the 50W version was also ported. They used a specifically chosen Eminence 200W speaker. The 2x12 version (with the 50W 6L6 power amp built in) is 2/3rds the size of a 4x12 (at 20"H x 30"W), and is also ported. All three have far more bottom end available than any open-back combo amp within their power ranges, and the speakers are, according to Atomic, designed to extend that range up to 18Khz. The idea was that the tube power amps would offer tube dynamics to solid state modelers.

They were originally designed to accommodate desktop modelers (like the Pod "bean") by incorporating a hot-swappable bay that made all connections with the use of adapters for the various desktop modelers that were available, including those from Vox (Tonelab), Behringer (V-Amp), Line 6 (Pods) and M-Audio (Black Box). In essence, you'd simply walk into a venue, plug the amp into the wall, your guitar into the amp, hit the on switch and play. There are connectors in the back of the adapter that allow you to plug in footpedals, etc. and outputs for DI and/or an additional Atomic cabinet (yes, stereo is supported).

With a Pod, for example, the FBV Shortboard 2 or Express 2 footboard can be run to the front of stage with nothing more than an ethernet cable (which also supplies power to the footboard).

These will also work perfectly with a floor-model Multi-FX processor, with the main difference being that you now have to plug in an AC wall wart and run power to the floor-model processor, the expensive part of the electronics are now in a more vulnerable location and you have to run at least one expensive guitar cable from the processor to the amp in the backline. The result is the same, but the elegance of the solution is a bit compromised. These can be found, used, for $350 and under (depending on version). Mine have been <*knock on wood*> dead reliable, and the adapters can still be found on eBay. They're extremely convenient for small gigs where fast load-in/load-out is important, and you have the choice of running DI or doing conventional miking if that's required for more output. And they look very conventional (if that's important to you) while providing all the options of a current modeler. I've got an X3 in one of these, an HD in another, and a Bass Pod XT in the third, but I have the option of running all three at once as slaves to a single processor.

The 18W version of the 1x12 is on the right with the Pod installed, the 50W version on the left, and the 2x12 version in the middle:

Quote by trashedlostfdup
danny, what you need is a new amp .

I'm inching closer to doing that...maybe in 2016.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
Quote by trashedlostfdup
yes and no.

You should learn more before spouting Sh*t like this. Then again there's more uninformed posts in this thread from others as well.
I own a POD HD500 (and a few other modellers) if the OP intends to use the amp models & not just the effects you need a FRFR system (amp and speakers). Guitars amps have a limited frequency range and it's no where near flat so it colours the sound of a guitar. Every guitar amp does it differently as well. The Amp sis in a POD HD seek to give you those characteristics at the output of the device. So if connect the POD HD to a full range flat response amp & speaker it'll sound as intended. If you connect it to any thing else the amp itself will totally change the sound of the amps sims and they'll be sh*t. In fact they'll sound like the poo-poo people who foolishly do this complain about here.
If all you want is effect you can turn off the amp sims and change a setting to connect to an amp but then all you've gt is an effects processor. This is what happens when you couple the HD with the DT series amps as well, it turns that portion off and uses the effects skipping the sims more or less. Line 6 recommends the L2m/L3m series FRFR powered speakers for their dream system.
Moving on.....
Definately want to use the amp simulations. One of the best things about the POD in my opinion.
I like my Peavey Envoy 110 Transtube (silver stripe) vintage USA made combo amp, has nice clean and nice lead channel. the previous owner installed a 12" Peavey speaker and it make this 40-watt solid state amp shine more. If you can get the Envoy 110 (red stripe) you will be happy with the clean and lead channel.
I have Washburn guitars 'Maverick Series' and bass 'Bantam Series' and a few pedals and amps, but man I wish to have more patience and drive practicing my playing, if it's equal to the modding itch, then I'm golden.
My personal favorite FRFR powered monitor/wedge. It just sounds great, weighs 34lbs, and is as loud as a Marshall 100w full stack if needed. Fully modern technology.

http://www.amazon.com/Electro-Voice-ZLX12P-Two-Way-Powered-Loudspeaker/dp/B00CE0VLXO
"Your sound is in your hands as much as anything. It's the way you pick, and the way you hold the guitar, more than it is the amp or the guitar you use." -- Stevie Ray Vaughan

"Anybody can play. The note is only 20 percent. The attitude of the motherfucker who plays it is 80 percent." -- Miles Davis

Guthrie on tone: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zmohdG9lLqY
^^^^Nice price too! At that price you could get two and go totally stereo.
Moving on.....
a good ol tube amp with good headroom will do the trick, many great choices available under $500 for sure. 9 out of 10 solid states under $500 will just sound like ass in comparison
Quote by yellowfrizbee
What does a girl have to do to get it in the butt thats all I ever wanted from you. Why, Ace? Why? I clean my asshole every night hoping and wishing and it never happens.
Bitches be Crazy.

▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ஜ۩۩ஜ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬