Hi guys

I am starting this thread to have some more info about different electric guitar shapes and the story behind it, if any...

We have strat, les paul, explorer, V, etc... I believe there is a man who came up with the idea of each shape and may be there was a reason for that... for example, as far as I know, Jackson Kelly was custom made for Marty Friedman.. and I believe it was a variation from original explorer shape... what about the rest of shapes?
'12 Gibson '58 Re-issue
'14 Fender American Special Stratocaster
'14 Squier Classic Vibe 50's Telecaster
'05 Ibanez RG320FM (With Upgrades)
Laney IRT Studio (IRT112 Cab)
Dunlop Crybaby 535Q
BOSS GT-8
Pretty sure the Kelly was designed by and for Brad Kelly.

Other than that I'm not sure about the rest. I almost bought a book about the history of the v, explorer and firebird. Kinda wish I did.

Edit: also I've never really had any interest why, but am now intrigued.

Is this for research or something?
Last edited by esky15 at Nov 8, 2015,
The Jackson King V was designed for and named after the RATT guitarist Robbin "King" Crosby.

EDIT:

I guess I should add in...The original King V was called a Double Rhodes (never in production) and it had a much larger body to accommodate Robbins large stature (dubbed The Gentle Giant) 6'6" and around 245 lb at the time. So the production models were scaled down to a more practical size that we see today.
Last edited by Way Cool JR. at Nov 8, 2015,
The Jackson Concord or Randy Rhoads model was designed for RR

The Fender Jag-Stang was designed by Curt Cobain and is a hybrid of the Jaguar and Mustang

The Brian May Red Special was designed by Brian to give him what he wanted in a guitar

PRS guitars were made to be the perfect blend of Fender and Gibson guitars
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Cool..

it is not a research or something.. just a topic popped in my mind
'12 Gibson '58 Re-issue
'14 Fender American Special Stratocaster
'14 Squier Classic Vibe 50's Telecaster
'05 Ibanez RG320FM (With Upgrades)
Laney IRT Studio (IRT112 Cab)
Dunlop Crybaby 535Q
BOSS GT-8
The Dean razorback is rather famously Dimebag's design.

The Les Paul is obviously Les Paul's design. The story is, he came up with the idea of a solid body electric guitar with pickups for more sustain, and anchored a string at both ends of a railway sleeper. It sounded great, but noone payed any attention, because in his words, people listen with their eyes. So he cut another guitar in half, and attached the halves to the railway sleeper, giving you a shape that became the Les Paul with a cutaway.
A whole lot of these shapes, you realize, have little in the way of an origin story -- they just start with someone doodling guitar bodies.
I'm pretty sure the Telecaster just came out of Leo cutting a simple guitar shape from a plank of wood. Strats and subsequent models were the same thing but maximising fret access and minimising sharp edges in ribs and arms. Also obviously keeping production costs down all the way through.
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
Youre officially uber shit now.

Quote by StewieSwan
3d9310rd is far more upset than i 

Quote by Bladez22
I'm a moron tho apparently and everyone should listen to you oh wise pretentious one
Quote by dragonzrmetal

The Les Paul is obviously Les Paul's design.

Actually, not necessarily. Les Paul suggested to EPIPHONE (then a competitor of gibson) that they do a solid body guitar. He'd married a chunk of wood to the sides of a hollow body guitar to show proof of concept, but that was a much larger guitar. Later he brought the idea to Gibson.

The actual design for the Les Paul body could easily have come from a guitar done by Paul Bigsby (yeah, that Bigsby) for country star Merle Travis back in 1948, some years before either Leo or Gibson got on the map. You can guess where Leo's idea for the strat headstock might have originated as well:

I read somewhere that Jaguars were designed with the offset so they'd be more comfortable when you play in a seated position...
Quote by StillframeCG
I read somewhere that Jaguars were designed with the offset so they'd be more comfortable when you play in a seated position...

I believe that is the case. I'm not sure how effective it is, but I do find Jags the most comfortable Fender body style by far.
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
Youre officially uber shit now.

Quote by StewieSwan
3d9310rd is far more upset than i 

Quote by Bladez22
I'm a moron tho apparently and everyone should listen to you oh wise pretentious one
Quote by esky15
Pretty sure the Kelly was designed by and for Brad Kelly.

Who is Brad Kelly?
Quote by dthmtl3
Who is Brad Kelly?

He was in an Aussie metal band called Heaven in the 80s. They had minor success in the states. And my mistake, but Bradford Kelly was his name.
Yeah the Jackson Kelly was around long before Marty was using them. The earliest one I've ever seen is a 1985 and it has a Kahler tremolo system. At that time if you wanted a Floyd Rose you had to order the Floyd then send it to Jackson to have it installed on your Custom Shop guitar. Like those guys said Bradford Kelly. I didn't get into them until Marty started using them though.

The Razorback, Razorback V's & Razorbolts are DIME's designs for Dean Guitars. Coarse his V is just a modified version of a standard V shape. Select models are offered in 24 3/4 scale and 25 1/2 scale or "255" as its called. I never seen DIME use the V's and he was gone before the Razorbolts came about. Used the ML's and Razorbacks.

Ratt's guitarist Robbin "KING" Crosby was using Jackson "King" V & Firebird models and then custom shop Double Rhoads which were made for him.
My newest addition,
2007 Dean Cadi-KILL (Cannibal Corpse) Rob Barrett Signature model to see more of my gear visit my profile.
Last edited by Ikillintel at Nov 9, 2015,
In the mid 1950's, Gibson's sales were in decline. Ted McCarty said their designs were seen as too old-fashioned, compared to Fender and Gretsch, so they had to come up with something new. He sketched a bunch of weird shapes. One of them was a guitar with a triangular body, which turned out to be too heavy, so he cut a chunk out of it and it became the Flying V. The Futura, which later evolved into the Explorer, was also developed during this time.
Quote by sashki
In the mid 1950's, Gibson's sales were in decline. Ted McCarty said their designs were seen as too old-fashioned, compared to Fender and Gretsch, so they had to come up with something new. He sketched a bunch of weird shapes. One of them was a guitar with a triangular body, which turned out to be too heavy, so he cut a chunk out of it and it became the Flying V. The Futura, which later evolved into the Explorer, was also developed during this time.

those two plus the Moderne complete the "Modernist" series displayed at the 57' NAMM show.
Last edited by ad_works at Nov 9, 2015,
Quote by StillframeCG

Actually the Fender Jazzmaster was designed as the first "offset waist" guitar specifically to be comfortable when seated. It was introduced in 1958 the Jaguar was not released until 1962.
"A well-wound coil is a well-wound coil regardless if it's wound with professional equipment, or if somebody's great-grandmother winds it to an old French recipe with Napoleon's modified coffee grinder and chops off the wire after a mile with an antique guillotine!"
- Bill Lawrence

Come and be with me
Live my twisted dream
Pro devoted pledge
Time for primal concrete sledge