Hey guys I was wondering if anyone here has ever gotten a custom guitar made by Gibson. I am a big fan of Les Pauls except when it comes time that I can afford one they all kind of suck. 2015's look horrible, and then older ones in the stores here are all in shit condition and have nicks and stuff on them. If I have to put out several thousand for a Les Paul it better look immaculate you know? I was hoping the 2016s would be fine and then enter the traditional... No choice of a 60s slim neck :/ what I want largely is just a regular Les Paul. No coil taps, no robot tuners no shit color options. Like does anyone know how much that would cost to have custom made? Or if you can get in touch with someone online who you can talk to?
"Nice boys don't play rock n' roll" - Axl Rose in (Nice Boys cover)
Quote by What_is_my_name
Hey guys I was wondering if anyone here has ever gotten a custom guitar made by Gibson. I am a big fan of Les Pauls except when it comes time that I can afford one they all kind of suck. 2015's look horrible, and then older ones in the stores here are all in shit condition and have nicks and stuff on them. If I have to put out several thousand for a Les Paul it better look immaculate you know? I was hoping the 2016s would be fine and then enter the traditional... No choice of a 60s slim neck :/ what I want largely is just a regular Les Paul. No coil taps, no robot tuners no shit color options. Like does anyone know how much that would cost to have custom made? Or if you can get in touch with someone online who you can talk to?

Your looking at $4000+ to have a custom Gibson made.

Wait till tomorrow and either visit an authorized Gibson retailer and ask them (they may not have a clue off hand either) or call Gibson tomorrow.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Damn! That's pretty outrageous.
"Nice boys don't play rock n' roll" - Axl Rose in (Nice Boys cover)
Gibson doesn't make one-off customs anymore. Unless you're famous you have to order at least a dozen. Poke around on The Gear Page if you want to see similar custom guitars from small builders like Gil Yaron.

Take a look at Kauer's Starliner if you want a contemporary boutique take on the Les Paul in a similar price range.
For $4000+ I would buy a Nic Huber Orca ('59) a thousand times over before I'd buy any modern Gibson. Case closed.
Quote by What_is_my_name
Damn! That's pretty outrageous.

then you should not waste any thoughts on a custom-built guitar..

or just start with saving your pennies
Quote by What_is_my_name

Guitar Center used get a run of special R0s for them they called a G0. Basically a Custom Shop plain top R0 so you'd get your 60s neck. Used these go for 1800-2200 or so and are a real value. If you can spring for a touch over 3K you can get some decent NOS custom shop models, they just won't be terribly flamey.
Moving on.....
There are all kinds of nice custom or semi custom LPclone guitars in the $1500+ range. And of course, the sky is the limit.

But just as a f'rex, you could get a Carvin/Kiesel LPclone starting at $1500, and a nice one for @$2500, and it will be all you want & dream.

http://www.carvinguitars.com/customshop/californiasingle.php

Here's two in stock.
http://www.carvinguitars.com/guitars-in-stock/130664

http://www.carvinguitars.com/guitars-in-stock/121748
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
Last edited by dannyalcatraz at Nov 8, 2015,
Quote by What_is_my_name

Guitar Center used get a run of special R0s for them they called a G0. Basically a Custom Shop plain top R0 so you'd get your 60s neck. Used these go for 1800-2200 or so and are a real value. If you can spring for a touch over 3K you can get some decent NOS custom shop models, they just won't be terribly flamey.

Forget about Gil Yaron unless youve got 10K or more.
Moving on.....
Quote by dannyalcatraz
There are all kinds of nice custom or semi custom LPclone guitars in the $1500+ range. And of course, the sky is the limit.

But just as a f'rex, you could get a nice Carvin/Kiesel LPclone for @$2500, and it will be all you want & dream.

You're misusing the term clone here Danny. Clone means an exact copy. LP-Like I'd have no argument with......
Moving on.....
Yes, I am. Yes it does. Won't change what I do, though- still will use LPclone, Teleclone, Stratclone, etc.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Don't discount the high-end Japanese Les Pauls. Navigator is a brand to look at
I'm just a kickin' and a gougin' in the mud and the blood and the beer.
+1 to that!

Quote by Robbgnarly
Your looking at $4000+ to have a custom Gibson made.

It's been a while (2009?), but I had an Axcess Custom built. ~$4K. Mine's black.

I actually wanted the same guitar with a high end quilted top and a burst finish, but the quote for that one came back at $5760 (pre-tax). Wildwood was the dealer.

There were a lot of things that Gibson would NOT do (neck-through, different radius, different nut width, stainless frets, etc.). In fact, I was a bit surprised at how UN-custom their custom shop was. I was quoted a 5-7 MONTH lead time. I can't imagine wanting to order another Gibson Custom, even if they *were* still doing them.

Honestly, Carvin's semi-custom shop offers far more in terms of models and options, and that's their everyday business. Their turnaround is closer to 5-7 WEEKS. The same guitar that was $5760 from Gibson was around $2K from Carvin and would have been better done, with more options available.

Agile has a semi-custom shop (I suspect it's the prototyping shop of the factory that makes most of the Agiles) that turns around versions of their stock guitars and it takes perhaps 3 months to see your guitar completed. I ordered a guitar similar to the one I'd been quoted at $5760 from Gibson, and it was $1160, with case, delivered to my door (it actually arrived the same day as my Gibson Axcess Custom). It had neck-through construction and my choice of neck profile, width, radius, frets, etc.

Nik Huber offers spectacular custom-built guitars, as do a number of other very well-known custom shops, but none of them are cheap. Most of those that ARE cheap deliver product that's seriously inferior to what you can get for the same money as stock guitars.
Quote by dspellman

Nik Huber offers spectacular custom-built guitars, as do a number of other very well-known custom shops, but none of them are cheap. Most of those that ARE cheap deliver product that's seriously inferior to what you can get for the same money as stock guitars.

I think that's a good point to keep in mind right there. Cheap custom is usually not good. If you're looking at a "custom" guitar, and it's only gonna cost you like $1000ish, you'd likely get better quality by just finding a higher end imported production guitar that's close to what you want. If you're gonna actually go custom, go big or don't bother (and if you're at all hesistant about the cost, just don't bother. Seriously, there are some AMAZING stock guitars from various import brands these days in the <$1200 range).
Guitars
Schecter Hellraiser C-1FR, C-1 Classic, Hellraiser Hybrid Solo-II, Special Edition E-1FR-S
Orange Rockerverb 50 212
Basses
Yamaha RBX374 and Washburn MB-6
Quote by the_bi99man
I think that's a good point to keep in mind right there. Cheap custom is usually not good. If you're looking at a "custom" guitar, and it's only gonna cost you like $1000ish, you'd likely get better quality by just finding a higher end imported production guitar that's close to what you want. If you're gonna actually go custom, go big or don't bother (and if you're at all hesistant about the cost, just don't bother. Seriously, there are some AMAZING stock guitars from various import brands these days in the <$1200 range).

There are some great USA made guitars in that range
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
There are custom & semi-custom guitar makers in the USA whose base prices start @$850 for standard models, with prices going up as you customize.

Carvin is a good example of an affordable semi-custom builder: many models start under $1000 for a very well-made but no frills guitar.

Just an observation. I had an idea that I wanted to build a custom guitar but I knew I needed help. I started working with a well know luthier learning what it took to design and build a custom guitar. After many hours of training and working on my own guitars I realized how much I didn't know about doing things the right way not just my way. I gave up that idea of building my own guitar from scratch. The luthier I worked with has been custom building guitars for many years and I initially thought that his prices (starting at $5,000) was way too much. I came to learn that that is a bargain for a real custom guitar. The time, materials, specialized machines and vast knowledge and skill needed to make a custom guitar is worth way more than I imagined.

When I read players here on the forum saying they want to custom build their own guitars I often wonder if they really know what they are getting into. I think often I don't realize that what they are really talking about is a custom modification of an existing guitar modal.
Yes I am guitarded also, nice to meet you.
Last edited by Rickholly74 at Nov 11, 2015,
Quote by Robbgnarly
There are some great USA made guitars in that range

Did I say there weren't?
Guitars
Schecter Hellraiser C-1FR, C-1 Classic, Hellraiser Hybrid Solo-II, Special Edition E-1FR-S
Orange Rockerverb 50 212
Basses
Yamaha RBX374 and Washburn MB-6