The war in Vietnam was for nothing . All those young men died in vain.

We build monuments and memorials for them as if they died for something, to ease the pain. We should build them to memorialize their bravery and idealism. We don't do that because it's too horrible to realize they were sent to war by fools for foolish reasons.

If the monuments were built for that reason maybe it could change things. That's impossible because the powers that be do not want change.

Unless it's for the worse.
I think most people realize Vietnam was dumb, that's why we had "Vietnam syndrome" aka an aversion to getting involved in any similar war for a long time.
Quote by jakesmellspoo
ooh look at me i'm ERIKLENSHERR and i work at fancy pants desk jobs and wear ties and ply barely legal girls with weed and booze i'm such a classy motherfucker.
Quote by ErikLensherr
I think most people realize Vietnam was dumb, that's why we had "Vietnam syndrome" aka an aversion to getting involved in any similar war for a long time.

what? When we first started playing in Iraq it hadn't even been 20 years. I could not, as a person who lived through the Vietnam war era believe we were so ignorant as to start doing that should again. We loved it. We still love it.
(something about America being an ironically warmongering undemocratic asshole of a country)
Quote by EndTheRapture51
who pays five hundred fucking dollars for a burger
You don't get it, you weren't there man.....
Come back if you want to
And remember who you are
‘Cause there's nothing here for you my dear
And everything must pass
The only war worth fighting in the last 100 years was WWII.
Check out my band Disturbed

Gozd in gora poj,
silen ženimo hrup,
uboga gmajna, le vpup, le vkup,
le vkup, le vkup z menoj,
staro pravdo v mrak tulimo,
da se pretulimo skozi to zimo
Same could be said about a lot of wars. Shits awful man and to make it worse, people are always holding up the military as the paradigm of honour and courage. You can't bad talk the military or else you become satan.
Quote by JD Close
Piano dick had some good parts, but should have said "As the business man slowly gets boned", would have accented the whole dick feeling of the album
Best soundtrack out of all the BF games fo sho
Quote by zgr0826
My culture is worthless and absolutely inferior to the almighty Leaf.

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
Quote by yope at #33673865
what? When we first started playing in Iraq it hadn't even been 20 years. I could not, as a person who lived through the Vietnam war era believe we were so ignorant as to start doing that should again. We loved it. We still love it.

Gulf War wasn't the same at all, we had clear goals and got in and out fast like me in your mum's room.
Quote by jakesmellspoo
ooh look at me i'm ERIKLENSHERR and i work at fancy pants desk jobs and wear ties and ply barely legal girls with weed and booze i'm such a classy motherfucker.
What is my body worth

Was there a price set before

longing rusted furnace daybreak seventeen benign nine homecoming one freight car
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
Best soundtrack out of all the BF games fo sho

Pretty cool maps too.
Quote by RAB11
Pretty cool maps too.

Quote by zgr0826
My culture is worthless and absolutely inferior to the almighty Leaf.

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
Quote by EndTheRapture51
What is my body worth

Was there a price set before

All those questions and more can be answered by your pimp

Gozd in gora poj,
silen ženimo hrup,
uboga gmajna, le vpup, le vkup,
le vkup, le vkup z menoj,
staro pravdo v mrak tulimo,
da se pretulimo skozi to zimo
Quote by yope
The war in Vietnam was for nothing . All those young men died in vain.

Or, in the moment, some of them may have died for something that meant a lot to them.

Not really your place to be such an asshole about it.
My God, it's full of stars!
Quote by Dreadnought
Or, in the moment, some of them may have died for something that meant a lot to them.

Edgy doesn't suit you, yope. Go back to shitposting.
OBEY THE MIGHTY SHITKICKER
we will all die and for nothing

embrace the void and realise your struggle is the only value to existence, for pleasure without strife is falsity, and even then, it means nothing

Quote by EndTheRapture51
who pays five hundred fucking dollars for a burger
Quote by Dreadnought

This is the mindset I'm talking about. I would never say something like that in the real world. There are too many people who feel very strongly the Vietnam War was for something. If you don't go along with the consensus you are a jerk, a whatever like you say ass.

I know a few of these people and because they eat that shit up it doesn't mean I have to. I'm free not to because they fought for my freedom, right?

The excuse for the Vietnam war was to stop communist aggression. It ignited it. When we got out of there the pot boiled over THEN ,.. The situation pacified and the country became Americanized and open to us.

If that's not dying for nothing tell me what is?

here's an unpleasant truth, what I believe in my opinion is an unpleasant truth. It's 1967 ,your 18 1/2 years old and get drafted or enlist ,not doing too much of anything anyway and it seems like a good idea to see the world and get to shoot a gun and kick ass. Besides that, dying or getting crippled is something that happens to other people .

This is the type of person who was used, literally. I told the excuse for the war. I do not know the real reason. The petrochemical people were pushing for it the stupid blundering ignorance of our leaders at the time were factors. Maybe some of our leaders indeed knew the score. It seemed like Henry Kissinger and Robert McNamara knew what they were doing. LBJ, I think he got suckered into it. You could tell he felt horrible about it. After a few years.

I'm sure there was some who were not like that.
I'm sure there were some who were not like that in that they didn't want to just go have an adventure. They believed in it.

I pretty much kicked ass in this thread .
Last edited by yope at Nov 9, 2015,
Quote by Aeolian Harmony
Also important: have the Iraq/Afghanistan wars been similarly pointless?

the excuse for that was to stop the terrorists and the weapons of mass destruction lie.

This one is not quite so shrouded in mystery for me as the Vietnam war. Underneath the stinking desert lies lots of oil that we need to keep the American way of life going. On the stinking desert are certain factions called insurgents who don't want us there for some reason. Yes they suck, the certain factions I'm talking about but you don't invade a country because you think it has pricks in it that need to be taken out.

I think we would be safer from terrorists if we just let them have their stinking desert then they would not have an excuse to mess with us. We need the oil though, well we need it until it's gone. Then future generations will burn other shit in their internal combustion engines after the oil companies have milked the cow.

I don't have any answers. I think the internal combustion engine is only needed by police military and firefighters. In my perfect world you would have to have a license to own and operate an internal combustion engine powered vehicle and these special licenses would be few and far in between. Actually any internal combustion engine ..
What is "dying for something"? In the context of this thread, there's dying in an environment you perceive as pleasant, and dying in an environment you perceive as unpleasant.

The problem with Vietnam is that a lot of young men were drafted for that, but to my understanding any of them could've opted out if they expressed beliefs supporting pacifism? Unless they were ignorant of such exclusions, most of the people who fought there did so willingly, and what a way to go huh.

There's just the issue of Vietnamese citizens who weren't willing participants to the war. Those people died unfairly. There's also the US gov't's use of chemical weapons that's an issue. A lot of this stuff has been addressed and a lot of the policies changed.
Quote by ali.guitarkid7
What is "dying for something"? In the context of this thread, there's dying in an environment you perceive as pleasant, and dying in an environment you perceive as unpleasant.

The problem with Vietnam is that a lot of young men were drafted for that, but to my understanding any of them could've opted out if they expressed beliefs supporting pacifism? Unless they were ignorant of such exclusions, most of the people who fought there did so willingly, and what a way to go huh.

There's just the issue of Vietnamese citizens who weren't willing participants to the war. Those people died unfairly. There's also the US gov't's use of chemical weapons that's an issue. A lot of this stuff has been addressed and a lot of the policies changed.

Mohammed Ali expressed pacifist beliefs, it didn't work for him. That's unfair though he was a high profile figure. I know of one guy in my hometown who inhaled instant coffee to put spots on his lungs to get out. I knew I didn't want to have any part of that crap so I had myself classified as 4-F because of my epilepsy. I remember the recruitment Sgt. or whatever rank he was at the recruitment center telling me that they would take me. He told me that would not be a problem when I had a seizure they could shove my wallet in my mouth so I wouldn't bite holes in my tounge . The point is I guess you are right if you really really did not want to go you did not have to. My dad always said the only thing you have to do is die. I would choose going to Vietnam over going to prison.
If it was so easy to get out why did so many draftdodgers go to Canada? I don't know.

I totally agree with you the Vietnamese people suffered for long time and it did not stop when we pulled out it got worse yet. Remember my obsessed with genocide thread?
Innocence reeks with napalm fire-King Crimson 20 th century schizoid man.
Interesting side note: the instant coffee guy made the big time he sang on a record that made the top 40 and sold a lot of records in the 70s. He shall remain nameless.
^Oh come on?
Quote by DQcrewmember
how do you ban people from posting in your threads?

Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
You don't

Quote by Zaphikh
"Why are we here?"

"Plastic... asshole."