Hello,

This might sound a bit odd but – any tips on how to practise outside of a schedule? I currently run through a fairly rigid schedule 3-4 times a week, and it takes about an hour. It covers fretboard knowledge, warming up, technique, ear training and repertoire – so fairly all-encompassing. Trouble is, if I have 10-15 minutes spare before work or going out, I could pick up the guitar and play but I usually avoid it thinking I should warm up first and/or not do anything that strays too far from my routine.

So I am basically wondering what people do when they have a bit of time to kill and pick up the guitar – is just noodling around the way forward and not too detrimental for developing as a player? Or can it be a matter of picking a simple exercise and repeat this for the entire time? I might have answered my own question here but keen on hearing what you guys do

Bonus question: should a session like this be logged into the practise routine (I currently log all sessions to keep track of progress)?

G
Quote by Godal
Hello,

This might sound a bit odd but – any tips on how to practise outside of a schedule? I currently run through a fairly rigid schedule 3-4 times a week, and it takes about an hour. It covers fretboard knowledge, warming up, technique, ear training and repertoire – so fairly all-encompassing. Trouble is, if I have 10-15 minutes spare before work or going out, I could pick up the guitar and play but I usually avoid it thinking I should warm up first and/or not do anything that strays too far from my routine.

So I am basically wondering what people do when they have a bit of time to kill and pick up the guitar – is just noodling around the way forward and not too detrimental for developing as a player? Or can it be a matter of picking a simple exercise and repeat this for the entire time? I might have answered my own question here but keen on hearing what you guys do

Bonus question: should a session like this be logged into the practise routine (I currently log all sessions to keep track of progress)?

G

15 minutes - noodle! Improvise or just repeat a pattern etc. 15 minutes is perfect for doing that.

Noodling is only detrimental if you don't compliment it with learning other things and pushing yourself. Every great improviser is a noodler.
Cheers guys, makes perfect sense –*just nice having someone telling you it's ok
My acoustic sits right next to the couch. If I have 15 minutes to kill. I just pick it up and have some fun.
ESP Iron Cross Sig model, Fernandes RetroRocket Sunburst, Taylor 214CE, Peavey XXX Super 40, DimeBag Crybaby from Hell, Zakk Wylde Overdrive, MXR Chorus, and a Flashback Delay and Looper.
Quote by reverb66
15 minutes - noodle! Improvise or just repeat a pattern etc. 15 minutes is perfect for doing that.

Noodling is only detrimental if you don't compliment it with learning other things and pushing yourself. Every great improviser is a noodler.

yeah i noodle all the time. haven't had a ton of real time to practice lately so i just pick up the guitar and play a bit here and there. when i was single i had a guitar in the living room to noodle on while watching tv. i always find ittle things to work on and as metnioned some improv is a good thing. many song ideas came from noodling.