So, I'm trying to decide which guitar to get, I've been playing for a couple years already but never really had the money to buy new gear, therefore I'm having a hard time making my final decision on which guitar to get.

My current gear is pretty much just crap (like really shitty you have no idea) so that won't weigh in the decision. I already have the options in mind so budget wise I can get whichever. I play a lot of alternative rock, metal, hardcore and some pop punk.
Options are:
- Ibanez RGIR20E
- Gibson LPJ 2013
- Gibson SGJ 2013

I'm also looking into LTD EC-1000 and LTD TE-406, but I'm not quite sure I can afford those, so the former 3 are pretty much the options I have right now.

Any take on it will help me a lot.
From what you said, I assume then that you have a crappy amp?

If so, you should invest on a good amp first. If you have a shitty amp, then any guitar, no matter how good it is, will sound like shit through it.
Last edited by DanyFS at Nov 9, 2015,
Quote by DanyFS
From what you said, I assume then that you have a crappy amp?

If so, you should invest on a good amp first. If you have a shitty amp, then any guitar, no matter how good it is, will sound like shit through it.

Yep, crappy amp, and actually thought about that, but I play in a band and we rehearse in the studio or play in little festivals that have good amps, so I wanna get a good guitar first and then next thing is investing in a new amp (which is actually super expensive where I live so it's hard to save up a bunch of money for that). Also I'm not switching guitars just because I want a new one, my guitar sucks, I don't like how it sounds or looks or how the playability goes, so I'm definitely going for a guitar right now.

Any recommendations for amps though? (good to know for when the time comes. Probably getting a combo bc no way I'll have money to buy a head and speaker, so nothing too expensive)
Last edited by vitor.tavares.9 at Nov 9, 2015,
Quote by vitor.tavares.9
Yep, crappy amp, and actually thought about that, but I play in a band and we rehearse in the studio or play in little festivals that have good amps, so I wanna get a good guitar first and then next thing is investing in a new amp (which is actually super expensive where I live so it's hard to save up a bunch of money for that). Also I'm not switching guitars just because I want a new one, my guitar sucks, I don't like how it sounds or looks or how the playability goes, so I'm definitely going for a guitar right now.

Any recommendations for amps though? (good to know for when the time comes. Probably getting a combo bc no way I'll have money to buy a head and speaker, so nothing too expensive)

Depends on your budget. However, Jet City Amps are very affordable all-tube amps, even if you go head + cab route. They handle high gain stuff pretty well. If you go used, you will find them even cheaper.
Quote by DanyFS
Depends on your budget. However, Jet City Amps are very affordable all-tube amps, even if you go head + cab route. They handle high gain stuff pretty well. If you go used, you will find them even cheaper.

My budget's like US$950 (3500BRL) tops (I live in Brazil so everything is REALLY expensive here). I took a look at those and like the 20W version is already like 2500BRL, that's like the really mini one.
Quote by vitor.tavares.9
My budget's like US$950 (3500BRL) tops (I live in Brazil so everything is REALLY expensive here). I took a look at those and like the 20W version is already like 2500BRL, that's like the really mini one.

That really sucks. Have you looked on the used market? How are the prices in there?

With that budget, how much will go for the guitar and how much for the amp?
Quote by DanyFS
That really sucks. Have you looked on the used market? How are the prices in there?

With that budget, how much will go for the guitar and how much for the amp?

Yeah, but even in the used market they're usually expensive anyways. That's my main problem bc with that budget I either get a medium-low quality new guitar and new amp or I get a good one but only one of them, like either a good guitar OR a good amp. I'll have to save up some more money to buy everything for sure, I still think I'm going for the guitar rn and then save up more money and buy a new amp, I was checking out some amps a friend of mine recommended that are combos from VOX, the Valvetronix line, apparently it's a combination of valve and solid state, and they're pretty affordable.

I know I'll have to wait and save up some more, but I'm already picking what to buy, and I'm really divided on whether to get a combo or saving up some more and getting head and cab.
Quote by vitor.tavares.9
Yeah, but even in the used market they're usually expensive anyways. That's my main problem bc with that budget I either get a medium-low quality new guitar and new amp or I get a good one but only one of them, like either a good guitar OR a good amp. I'll have to save up some more money to buy everything for sure, I still think I'm going for the guitar rn and then save up more money and buy a new amp, I was checking out some amps a friend of mine recommended that are combos from VOX, the Valvetronix line, apparently it's a combination of valve and solid state, and they're pretty affordable.

I know I'll have to wait and save up some more, but I'm already picking what to buy, and I'm really divided on whether to get a combo or saving up some more and getting head and cab.

If you can wait a bit to save more money, then head + club will be better in the long run.

About your current guitar, maybe with a nice setup it would become a bit better. But yeah, I can see why you would want a new one.

Here in Portugal, it is also a bit difficult to find used stuff at good prices. But from time to time, nice used gear at nice prices shows up. If all else fails, I use Ebay to hunt down some stuff.

Vox is more for light gain stuff. Not sure if it would do metal and hardcore very well. Certainly good for alt rock and bluesy stuff, but I wouldn't pick it for metal.

About the guitars you've listed, I think you would be better off with an Epiphone than the Gibsons LPJs and SGJs. About the Ibanez, that model has EMG pickups right? Good for metal and hardcore, but maybe not for alt rock and pop punk.

The LTD 1000 series are nice guitars. Would certainly be a good buy.
Last edited by DanyFS at Nov 9, 2015,
Quote by DanyFS
If you can wait a bit to save more money, then head + club will be better in the long run.

About your current guitar, maybe with a nice setup it would become a bit better. But yeah, I can see why you would want a new one.

Vox is more for light gain stuff. Not sure if it would do metal and hardcore very well. Certainly good for alt rock and bluesy stuff, but I wouldn't pick it for metal.

About the guitars you've listed, I think you would be better off with an Epiphone than the Gibsons LPJs and SGJs. About the Ibanez, that model has EMG pickups right? Good for metal and hardcore, but maybe not for alt rock and pop punk.

The LTD 1000 series are nice guitars. Would certainly be a good buy.

Yeah, like the whole having a fucked up guitar thing is getting to the point that I've had it for like 5 years I think and it bums me out not liking my own guitar, I don't even feel like playing sometimes you know.

Mhm I see, for amps I'll probably just go to a local store and try a bunch of them out.

Yeah I'm leaning towards the EC-1000 if I can afford it, and yes the Ibanez does come with EMG's, which I actually like, I can compromise a bit on the cleans if I get a good dirty tone for heavier stuff.
Quote by vitor.tavares.9
Yeah, like the whole having a fucked up guitar thing is getting to the point that I've had it for like 5 years I think and it bums me out not liking my own guitar, I don't even feel like playing sometimes you know.

Mhm I see, for amps I'll probably just go to a local store and try a bunch of them out.

Yeah I'm leaning towards the EC-1000 if I can afford it, and yes the Ibanez does come with EMG's, which I actually like, I can compromise a bit on the cleans if I get a good dirty tone for heavier stuff.

Going to a local store is definitely a good bet. I'm sure you'll find something you like!

If you really like EMGs, then go ahead. Not a fan of them myself, even for high gain tones I prefer passives, but if you like them, I see no reason not to get a guitar with them.