Hello,
I've been playing guitar for years now and I recently decided that it's time for me to up my game a bit and play using some pedals. My first amp was a Line 6 Flextone III with the FBV Short board so I never had to learn things about pedals it being a modeling amp and all. Now, I'm playing a Peavey Valveking 100 watt 2x12 Combo and I love the power it has for a small combo amp, but I'm looking to get some higher gain and a little more punch out of setup because I play in a metal band. The problem I'm having is not knowing the correct way to line up the pedals that I have to eliminate unwanted white noise and get a decent tone. SO.... I figured I would post my set up and hopefully some of you people that have actually experience with this would be able to help me out. Since I'm a noob I figured I would also give some justification as to why I purchased each pedal, that I'm currently using.

So to start...
Guitar - Epiphone Futura Custom Prophecy EX with EMG 81 and EMG 85
Pedals - Hardwire Series HT-6 Polyphonic Tuner, Rocktron Guitar Silencer Noise Reduction, Maxon OD-9 Overdrive, Behringer EQ700 Graphic Equalizer, Rogue Analog Delay
Amp - Peavey Valveking 100w 212 Combo Amplifier

I purchased the Rocktron and the HT-6 because they were good deals price wise and the reviews for both were about 98% positive. I have to say that so far I have no problems with either pedal.

I bought the Maxon- because in the war between Maxon Overdrive and the Ibanez tube screamer the bands I really want to model my tone after tend to choose Maxon. (Killswitch Engage, All That Remains, Protest The Hero)

The EQ was sort of on a whim. It was on sale for about 25 dollars and I had read some articles that recommended an EQ if you want certain frequencies to shine through. I like to drop my mids just a bit (not a fool scoop), and I also like my highs pushed for clearer pinch harmonics. (At least, that's what I tell myself).

The Rogue Analog Delay is a really nice pedal. Musicians Friend had a deal that was two Rogue pedals for $35 or $40 dollars so I bought my co-guitarist one too. It's made writing a lot of fun, but I only use it on like one or two songs for some solo lines and one Killswitch-esque riff.

So I currently run Guitar-->HT-6-->Rocktron-->Effects Loop-->Maxon-->EQ700-->Delay-->Amp. Also, I'm using the lead channel on the amp.

So do you guys have any suggestion on what I should do with the chain? Should I just be running this into my clean channel and forgo the effects loop? Should I drop a pedal, I think most likely the EQ700?

I know this is a long post but thanks for reading to the end. Hope someone can guide me in the right direction.
Guitar > Tuner > Rocktron > OD-9 > Amp input

Send > EQ700 > Rogue Delay > Return

Modern br00tz uses OD's in the front of the amp to boost the gain, sustain, mid-boost, etc. If you need a volume boost for solos, you need just a db boost pedal in the effects loop, like the TC Electronic Spark Booster. Or even another EQ. The OD will add hair and also not work quite so well in the loop. You'll like it better for what it does in the front.

The EQ is a wondrous thing to have, especially with the VK. They sometimes need some frequencies scooped or boosted. Good amps but they need some TLC. Also have you changed the stock speakers? Changing them gives the amp a whole new life. Changing out the stock tubes is good too. We have a VK thread for tips and tricks for those amps: https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=969296&highlight=valveking+thread
Last edited by Will Lane at Nov 9, 2015,
Thanks @Will Lane,
I will try this out when I get home from work!

I haven't changed the speakers. I bought the amp used as well so I need new tubes anyway as I have no idea how old they are. I bought it at Guitar Center and the sales people had really no clue how old the tubes were.

I'm excited to check out the Valveking forum as well.
Put the noise gate last in the FX loop. ie. after everything that's generating noise, including the preamp.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification