So I want to get an 8-String guitar eventually, and I was wondering if anyone had any ideas concerning a good rig for an 8-String. You can give me anything dealing with the guitar, amp, strings etc. Go ahead, shoot some ideas!

8-String I Am Looking At:
Agile Interceptor Pro 828 EB EMG
What genre of music are you playing?
Gibson RD Silverburst w/ Lace Dissonant Aggressors (SOLD)
Electra Omega Prime Ceruse
Fender Franken-Jag Bass

Amps and the like:
Laney VH100R
Seismic Luke 2x12
Dunlop 105Q Wah
Gojira FX 808
Line 6 M9
Ok, so how about we set aside the guitar for now. What cabinet, amp head, etc. Would you recommend for a tight budget of $1,000, to $1,500?
Peavey 5150, Mesa 2x12, Tube Screamer and an MXR10 band would be my rig of choice. YOu can pick all that up used for about that much. The 5150 is pretty much the tone a lot of 8 sting guys are using nowadays, whether it be the actual amp or a model. Or if you need something lower wattage a Laney Ironheart 60 would work as well.
Gibson RD Silverburst w/ Lace Dissonant Aggressors (SOLD)
Electra Omega Prime Ceruse
Fender Franken-Jag Bass

Amps and the like:
Laney VH100R
Seismic Luke 2x12
Dunlop 105Q Wah
Gojira FX 808
Line 6 M9
Also some sort of noise gate.
Bands I like: Acceptance, Ivoryline, Mae, Coheed and Cambria, Breaking Benjamin, Megadeth, Trapt, Staind, Crossfade, and of course Rush!

Guitars: Schecter 2002 Diamond Series C-1
Axe Fx Ultras can be had easily for under 1200. I moved on to Axe Fx II, but only AFTER I sold my ultra. Fractal Audio has made one of the best pieces of gear for 8 string guitars, and pretty much all guitars in general. Get an axe fx ultra
Quote by Liam-Phillips
What do you think about the POD HD500x?

It is a MFX not a rig.

They are decent for sure, but if your jamming with other people, get a real amp.

You can get a used 6505+ 1x12 combo for $350 used and it will work just fine.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Actually that's pretty decent...thanks man! I just wish the head wasn't so much money, then I could that puppy up to a Mesa Cab...but I guess I could do the same anyhow with the combo amp...
Quote by Liam-Phillips
Actually that's pretty decent...thanks man! I just wish the head wasn't so much money, then I could that puppy up to a Mesa Cab...but I guess I could do the same anyhow with the combo amp...

Lots of people will throw a V30 or clone speaker in them or cut the top part from the bottom and have a 1x12 cab and a 50watt 6505+ head. They can push a 4x12 louder than any venue is going to allow you
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
The only problem with the 6505+ is the maintenance with tubes and whatnot. Their are five pre-amp tubes and 2 Normal tubes. Each of these things go for 15-20 bucks by themselves. That's alot of money to spend later on to me. Considering that, say I let all of them go out. That means I would pay $105-140. Which for me, being a 15 year old, I don't see myself having money every single time I need to replace a tube. I can understand replacing them a few times, but I don't know if I could afford it later on.

Got any ideas of a good Solid State amp that could handle an eight string? Also, could you tell me a little about what MFX boards do?
Quote by Liam-Phillips
Are you sure the Blackstar ID:60TVP-H combined with a cab couldn't handle an 8-String? This guy uses one in this video, and it seems to sound pretty good!

If you're satisfied with that, then go for it.

In that Youtube video, the bottom strings are making noise, but are nowhere near "bottom end" reproduction. You'd know the difference immediately if you heard it. I've called this the "AM radio" version of an 8-string, and that's pretty much what you get from a YouTube vid.
Quote by dspellman
If you're satisfied with that, then go for it.

In that Youtube video, the bottom strings are making noise, but are nowhere near "bottom end" reproduction. You'd know the difference immediately if you heard it. I've called this the "AM radio" version of an 8-string, and that's pretty much what you get from a YouTube vid.

Well yeah, I am not going with the guitar (the bottom strings are making noise), if that's what you were thinking. I have just heard great reviews on the Blackstar Amp this guy used. People say it's one of the best Solid State amps, and has some of the closest tones to a Tube Amp. Another thing I heard is that for an 8-String, a Solid State Head holds up better in certain circumstances. I am sure it's something to do with the no tube, no maintenance viewpoint of a-lot of people...but still...it seems pretty decent...
Schecter C-1 Special Atomic Orange
Fender Mustang Amplifier 2 V2

- To All Of My Gear -

"I met you as a stranger, took you as a friend. I hope our long friendship will never end."

~ MIZSCORPIO
Quote by Liam-Phillips
The only problem with the 6505+ is the maintenance with tubes and whatnot. Their are five pre-amp tubes and 2 Normal tubes. Each of these things go for 15-20 bucks by themselves. That's alot of money to spend later on to me. Considering that, say I let all of them go out. That means I would pay $105-140. Which for me, being a 15 year old, I don't see myself having money every single time I need to replace a tube. I can understand replacing them a few times, but I don't know if I could afford it later on.

Got any ideas of a good Solid State amp that could handle an eight string? Also, could you tell me a little about what MFX boards do?

You shouldn't have to retube until you have a job of some kind. If you don't have a job at 15 your a slacker

I have tube amps that have not been retubed in over 5 years the average player will not need to retube every year, every 2-5 at most in the real world

Most budget SS amps really suck
I'd rather have a so-so tube amp personally
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Last edited by Robbgnarly at Nov 10, 2015,
Quote by Robbgnarly
If you don't have a job at 15 your a slacker

SSSsss...Walked right into that one didn't I? Well yeah i agree, I am trying to do some lawn stuff, and I have a graphics channel on YouTube that I want to start a shop on (lots of people are doing that nowadays)...that and I got some stuff I want to sell here shortly so that should help with money too...

- To All Of My Gear -

"I met you as a stranger, took you as a friend. I hope our long friendship will never end."

~ MIZSCORPIO
Quote by Liam-Phillips
SSSsss...Walked right into that one didn't I? Well yeah i agree, I am trying to do some lawn stuff, and I have a graphics channel on YouTube that I want to start a shop on (lots of people are doing that nowadays)...that and I got some stuff I want to sell here shortly so that should help with money too...

Just F-ing with you, I have a 17yr old daughter that doesn't have a job, but she gets all A's-B's so I let it slide.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by Liam-Phillips
What do you think about the POD HD500x?

Personally, I'd stay away from the HD500. Along with the fact that you seem set on getting an amp, which makes axe fx out of the question for now, because you'd need an axe fx, plus a poweramp and a cab, which would be out of your total budget. If you were doing only home recording and jamming on some studio monitors by yourself or something like that, then I'd say axe fx all the way, but if you're wanting to do more live sound stuff with a band, then the axe fx setup would be out of your price range.

I'd say a 5150 block head if you can find one, along with a ns2 and a tube screamer and you'd be set. Any cab with v30s would sound great with that.
So what about a MFX plugged straight into a PA speaker like the EV ELX115p? To me, this would be like 1,000 cheaper than the EVH...and I have been recommended plugging directly to PA...

- To All Of My Gear -

~ MIZSCORPIO