Page 1 of 3
People often define themselves by what music they listen to, what TV shows they watch, or what games they play. Others define themselves by their hobbies, their job, or what they do. Others by their families or significant others, or even their sexuality.

I don't see a lot of people defining themselves by their personality and personal qualities, which I often feel like is much more important than ALL of the above. I've met people I share very similar interests with but they're awful people so obviously we ain't gonna click.

How do you define yourself, and how should we as human beings define ourselves?

longing rusted furnace daybreak seventeen benign nine homecoming one freight car
By the number of threads I make per week.

...modes and scales are still useless.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Hey guys could you spare a minute to Vote for my band. Go to the site Search our band Listana with CTRL+F for quick and vote Thank you .
Quote by sam b
Voted for Patron Çıldırdı.

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
Quote by GuitarGod_92
I'm the worst

High five to that, asshole.
May the Force be with You.
Carmel is hawt
I suppose this is tangentially related, so I'll post it here. I don't understand people who define themselves by a TV show, a book or a recording artist. Like 'my name's Pedro and I'm a Whovian/Potterhead/Directioner'. It's perfectly understandable for young people who are trying to fit in and discover who they are to obsess so singularly and define themselves so narrowly. But I'm increasingly seeing people my own age (early twenties) who define themselves with reference to a single cultural product and it just seems so sad to me.
"If God exists, there's no way he is French" - Andrea Pirlo

S A D B O Y S
I don't care about most things, but I care about some things

e. crap this was supposed to go to that 'key to yourself' thread or whatever
WHAT A
HORRIBLE
NIGHT TO
HAVE A
CURSE.
Last edited by ElMaco at Nov 9, 2015,
noun, plural babies.
1. an infant or very young child.
2. a newborn or very young animal.
3. the youngest member of a family, group, etc.
4. an immature or childish person.
5. a human fetus.
6. (Informal) Sometimes Disparaging and Offensive; a girl or woman, especially an attractive one.
a person of whom one is deeply fond; sweetheart.
(sometimes initial capital letter) an affectionate or familiar address (sometimes offensive when used to strangers, casual acquaintances, subordinates, etc., especially by a male to a female).
a man or boy; chap; fellow:
He's a tough baby to have to deal with.
an invention, creation, project, or the like that requires one's special attention or expertise or of which one is especially proud.
an object; thing:
Is that car there your baby?
adjective
7. of or suitable for a baby:
baby clothes.
8. of or like a baby; infantile:
baby skin.
9. small; comparatively little:
a baby car.
10. treating babies:
a baby doctor.

verb (used with object), babied, babying.
11. to treat like a young child; pamper.
12. to handle or use with special care; treat gently.

joel
noun
1. a Minor Prophet of the postexilic period.
2. a book of the Bible bearing his name.
3. a male given name: from a Hebrew word meaning “the Lord is God.”.
it's all just coming back
it's all coming back

it's all coming back to me
Quote by Xiaoxi
By the number of threads I make per week.

OBEY THE MIGHTY SHITKICKER
Quote by Baby Joel at #33675111
noun, plural babies.
1. an infant or very young child.
2. a newborn or very young animal.
3. the youngest member of a family, group, etc.
4. an immature or childish person.
5. a human fetus.
6. (Informal) Sometimes Disparaging and Offensive; a girl or woman, especially an attractive one.
a person of whom one is deeply fond; sweetheart.
(sometimes initial capital letter) an affectionate or familiar address (sometimes offensive when used to strangers, casual acquaintances, subordinates, etc., especially by a male to a female).
a man or boy; chap; fellow:
He's a tough baby to have to deal with.
an invention, creation, project, or the like that requires one's special attention or expertise or of which one is especially proud.
an object; thing:
Is that car there your baby?
adjective
7. of or suitable for a baby:
baby clothes.
8. of or like a baby; infantile:
baby skin.
9. small; comparatively little:
a baby car.
10. treating babies:
a baby doctor.

verb (used with object), babied, babying.
11. to treat like a young child; pamper.
12. to handle or use with special care; treat gently.

joel
noun
1. a Minor Prophet of the postexilic period.
2. a book of the Bible bearing his name.
3. a male given name: from a Hebrew word meaning “the Lord is God.”.

Hail the Prophet
WHAT A
HORRIBLE
NIGHT TO
HAVE A
CURSE.
I don't define myself by my personality, cus I don't have one. Maybe its the same way for others aswell
The 💯 emoji.
Quote by jakesmellspoo
ooh look at me i'm ERIKLENSHERR and i work at fancy pants desk jobs and wear ties and ply barely legal girls with weed and booze i'm such a classy motherfucker.
People don't know themselves well enough to describe their personalities and it often means very little because such statements can be very Barnum and too subject to context and perspective for them to offer meaningful insight to an outsider. There's simply no convenient way to express what a person's personality is as it's so complex.
Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
I also have to do that. Cottaging this weekend
Quote by I.O.T.M
I suppose this is tangentially related, so I'll post it here. I don't understand people who define themselves by a TV show, a book or a recording artist. Like 'my name's Pedro and I'm a Whovian/Potterhead/Directioner'. It's perfectly understandable for young people who are trying to fit in and discover who they are to obsess so singularly and define themselves so narrowly. But I'm increasingly seeing people my own age (early twenties) who define themselves with reference to a single cultural product and it just seems so sad to me.

I tend to agree. It depends how far they take it I guess.

Saying "Hey I'm Jim, I enjoy football (come on Liverpool), play the acoustic guitar and also do photography" I think is pretty alright that's a good description of yourself

But being like "Hello my name is Hugh, I enjoy The Walking Dead, Marvel films and Sherlock!" that's just boring and gives me no idea of what you actually DO. You watch some TV shows and films. That's not your identity.

longing rusted furnace daybreak seventeen benign nine homecoming one freight car
I'm rarely in a position where I need to 'define myself' in real life and I'm grateful of that. I tend to do it a fair bit more online but it's mostly defining what I'm not.

I should try to cut down on it for the sake of my own mental health but I hate being associated with certain groups of people and it's like a kneejerk reaction at this point.

Also 'are we human or are we dancer?'

Gozd in gora poj,
silen ženimo hrup,
uboga gmajna, le vpup, le vkup,
le vkup, le vkup z menoj,
staro pravdo v mrak tulimo,
da se pretulimo skozi to zimo
Quote by EndTheRapture51

Saying "Hey I'm Jim, I enjoy football (come on Liverpool), play the acoustic guitar and also do photography" I think is pretty alright that's a good description of yourself

But being like "Hello my name is Hugh, I enjoy The Walking Dead, Marvel films and Sherlock!" that's just boring and gives me no idea of what you actually DO. You watch some TV shows and films. That's not your identity.

TV shows and films are literally my identity tho
Pretty much every thing I say is actually a quote from a tv show

I mean I'm the IRL Abed Nadir only possibly not autistic but also possibly not not autistic
idk, I guess my personality. Like I'm just me
___

Quote by The_Blode
she was saying things like... do you want to netflix and chill but just the chill part...too bad she'll never know that I only like the Netflix part...
Quote by GuitarGod_92 at #33675132
Okay Chelsea Peretti

I vaguely remember her Netflix special being really funny so I'll take this as a compliment.
Quote by jakesmellspoo
ooh look at me i'm ERIKLENSHERR and i work at fancy pants desk jobs and wear ties and ply barely legal girls with weed and booze i'm such a classy motherfucker.
Quote by ErikLensherr
I vaguely remember her Netflix special being really funny so I'll take this as a compliment.

Nah her Brooklyn Nine Nine character described herself as the human form of the 100 emoji and her character in Brooklyn Nine Nine is arguably the worst character currently on television
I specifically try to remain undefined - I didn't used to try but I've always been the Other/exception in whatever group I associate with so I've just accepted black sheep status
Quote by Arthur Curry
it's official, vintage x metal is the saving grace of this board and/or the antichrist

e-married to
theguitarist
minterman22
tateandlyle
& alaskan_ninja

Just as long as you're not that 'omg so quirky!' girl. I despise Zooey Deschanel or however it's spelled.
OBEY THE MIGHTY SHITKICKER
Quote by EndTheRapture51

What difference is there between defining yourself by the tv shows you watch and the former things you listed (enjoying football, playing guitar, etc)?

Your identity is your identity. You can be the most boring person ever but you can be defined just by being you.
When most people talk about "what's your identity" or "how do you define yourself" I believe they mean what aspects about yourself can be interesting to others. You may have the best conception of your self, know your emotions, thoughts and goals in life, etc, but unless you can communicate that correctly to someone else you'd still be "boring" and "without an identity" or whatever.
But if you say you have an interesting job, interesting hobbies/interests, interesting skills, interesting personality traits, etc, then somehow you become "more".
Why should that be so? Things about yourself that can interest others should only matter when relating to others, not when defining "yourself".

For example, I don't think I could say many "interesting" things about me (well, at least ones that I feel authentic about, I can always say some stuff I don't really think is interesting or applies to me fully, but others can find interesting), but I don't think I don't have an "identity" I can easily define so people can say "Look how cool this guy is!".
Or maybe I do and I just can't communicate it easily, or I view it from my own POV in a way that makes it seem to me that I'm not that interesting but to others it may be. Dunno. Don't care much either way.
How I would define myself:

Alive
A poem.
Quote by yoman297
no girl, movember isnt for you. shave your stache pls

I can out-bore you any day
Hi I'm guitarxo. I am an overemotional overachiever who approaches housekeeping the same way as Monica from Friends and I pretend to be a slug when I watch TV, which is a lot nowadays, but I keep buying books I don't have time to read because I love the excitement of purchasing an item after lots of deliberation

idk that covers a lot of areas but it's still not 100% me. And I would prefer that other people form their own impressions of my personality because I wouldn't feel comfortable just saying that to someone when introducing myself

Hi I'm guitarxo. I like dancing and reading and food.

is better for introductions

or even

Hi I'm guitarxo. I like Downton Abbey and Parks and Rec and Skins

still better than the first one
cat
Last edited by guitarxo at Nov 9, 2015,
Quote by Fat Lard
this is a decent breakdown, but not a hundo:

genuinely sounds like you in most ways, yes.

Quote by guitarxo
Hi I'm guitarxo. I am an overemotional overachiever who approaches housekeeping the same way as Monica from Friends and I pretend to be a slug when I watch TV, which is a lot nowadays, but I keep buying books I don't have time to read because I love the excitement of purchasing an item after lots of deliberation

idk that covers a lot of areas but it's still not 100% me. And I would prefer that other people form their own impressions of my personality because I wouldn't feel comfortable just saying that to someone when introducing myself

Hi I'm guitarxo. I like dancing and reading and food.

is better for introductions

or even

Hi I'm guitarxo. I like Downton Abbey and Parks and Rec and Skins

still better than the first one

I introduce myself in the first one way too much these days.
A poem.
Quote by yoman297
no girl, movember isnt for you. shave your stache pls

I can out-bore you any day
Quote by JustRooster
Just as long as you're not that 'omg so quirky!' girl. I despise Zooey Deschanel or however it's spelled.

I think being a white (or perhaps rich?) girl is practically a necessary component to this
Quote by Arthur Curry
it's official, vintage x metal is the saving grace of this board and/or the antichrist

e-married to
theguitarist
minterman22
tateandlyle
& alaskan_ninja

Quote by GuitarGod_92
Nah her Brooklyn Nine Nine character described herself as the human form of the 100 emoji and her character in Brooklyn Nine Nine is arguably the worst character currently on television

Beard culture, tattoos, and stealing yo girl
You hit 'em and they get back up
I hit 'em and they stay down
- Frank Castle
I'm the seeds among you. I am emerald blades with other sides and deeper shapes. I'm the weeds among you. I'm constriction. I'm the tightness in your chest, I could ruin you.
Free Ali
Page 1 of 3