So I received my Epiphone Dot tonight. According to the serial # it was made at the Saein Plant in Korea in July 1999. It's got the Gibson truss rod cover. Could this be one of the better ones (made in Korea towards the end of the production run so well made - though materials quality might not have been top notch - compared to some of the first runs coming from China)?

Anyway... I gave it a good cleaning and restrung it. About to plug it in. Tomorrow or the next day I should be getting the Epi ES-335 Pro Lt. Ed. I guess it'll be fun comparing the two...

looks like a nice one for sure. congrats!

no idea about mik vs mic with epi's. parwau (i always spell his name wrong) would know everything epiphone so he'll chime in.

if it plays nice and sounds good, enjoy it for a long time!
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
Quote by OliveG
Could this be one of the better ones…?

You’ll have to play it and tell us. It is pretty, if nothing else.
It's going to take a good couple of hours to set it up right... Right now it's a bit of a mess. The neck will take some getting used to after playing Ibanezes, Jackson Dinkies and the likes. By comparison the Pro ES335 seems to have a thinner neck...
Interestingly the truss rod was, well, loose. At first I feared it was broken and I had a panic attack, but it turns out it seems OK, I tightened it a little bit and it started to resist. However, that means I don't have very much neck relief, or at least not as much as I'd like, like a little under 1/64th. From what I've read it's not uncommon...

So 1) I didn't tighten it much, just enough to be sure it wouldn't rattle, and 2) I raised the action a little, between 1.5 and 2.0 mm on the low E side to make sure there is not buzz on the low E string. High E string is fine. Setup the intonation, overall it's not bad now. I do feel like the pickups are a little bit lifeless though... I probably need to toy with the amp settings to fix that.
also check the pole heights on the pups as well as the pup height themselves. sometimes a tweak there can make a good difference. good luck.
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
Congrats looks like the only thing missing is a Bigsby , HNGD
"A well-wound coil is a well-wound coil regardless if it's wound with professional equipment, or if somebody's great-grandmother winds it to an old French recipe with Napoleon's modified coffee grinder and chops off the wire after a mile with an antique guillotine!"
- Bill Lawrence

Come and be with me
Live my twisted dream
Pro devoted pledge
Time for primal concrete sledge

nice
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Nice..Epi Dots are fun!
--- Joe ---
77 Bradley LPC || 07 PRS CE22 || 11 PRS MC58 Artist || 95/02 Fender Strat || 99 Gibson LP DC Std Lite
06 Ovation Elite-T || 12 Martin GPCPA4
Boss GT100 || Peavey Stereo Chorus 400 || Peavey Bandit 75 || Roland JC77
Picked up the ES-335 Pro today. Haven't plugged it in yet, but even unplugged it sounds really nice and sustains forever. Definitely a step up from the Dot. It just feels and looks like a more expensive guitar. The setup was very good straight out of the box, and it's made extremely well IMO, at least from what I can tell. The fretboard is rosewood but it almost looks like ebony. Tuners are very smooth and accurate... I'm so glad I finally got it...
Well spoke too fast, the A string tends to buzz. It looks like the neck could use a tad more relief. Other than that? Total love! The pickups sound really good, especially with a little bit of crunch, and having the coil splitting adds a lot too. Loooooove...