So I'm having to get rid of my Peavey 120 Watt Triple X head and my Avatar 2x12 cab and go for something more manageable in volume, plus space would be cool.

Basically I need a Micro Head with a master volume that isn't fizzy as hell and isn't super loud. I've narrowed it down to 2 heads - Engl Ironball/ Mini Rectifier. I singled out the Mini Orange and the Mini 6505 due to the EQ controls on the orange and No master on the 6505.

I play Metal so a tight clear distortion would be nice. I don't really ask for much. As long as it can do metal, has decent or passable cleans, and isn't super loud then I'll be good. I have a budget in USD of no more that 700-750 used but that's sorta killing me right there. It'll be worth it in the long run though

Also I'm probably gonna just get a used 1x12 or iso cab.
If you can not dial your XXX to levels acceptable in your new place, 99% of lunchbox amps will also be too loud.

try using your setup with a boost . When you use an amp at low volumes you loose some umph, so by keeping the volume low and boosting the signal you can get an acceptable tone from most amps for quiet bedroom playing.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Yeah man I can dial it in. Master low and the channel volume low with a Od Boost. I've just been wanting to sell it and downsize. Plus if anything a lunch box amp will be smaller. So, the ENGL or the Mesa?
Lunchbox head for pub gigs, pod for apartment life. "Fizzy" describes a player, not the amp.
"Your sound is in your hands as much as anything. It's the way you pick, and the way you hold the guitar, more than it is the amp or the guitar you use." -- Stevie Ray Vaughan

"Anybody can play. The note is only 20 percent. The attitude of the motherfucker who plays it is 80 percent." -- Miles Davis

Guthrie on tone: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zmohdG9lLqY
Last edited by Cajundaddy at Nov 10, 2015,
In this video, the Coffee & Riffs crew used a borrowed Milkman Half Pint combo (somewhere between 1-5w). Sounds nice.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MXSvB6CeqZg&sns=em

But for quiet play, nothing beats a portable digital modeler- from Korg, Line 6, Boss, Tascam, etc.- and good headphones.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
Last edited by dannyalcatraz at Nov 10, 2015,
Laney Ironheart has a 1 watt mode for quieter practice while still maintaining crushing tone (apparently). Never heard one mind, but they're supposed to be good metal sounding amps which clean up nicely.
I love when a MFG says their product has Crushing tone. That means to me that I will need a boost and many other things to get a run of the mill good tone
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
For apartment I'd go amp sims on the computer or a Line6 POD HD500X and a good set of monitor headphones and/or bookshelf speakers.
Guitars:
Jackson Kelly KE3 - MIJ (Distortion/Jazz)
Jackson DKMGT Dinky (EMG 81/85)
ESP E-II Eclipse Custom (JB/'59)
ESP LTD EC-1001FR (EMG 81/60)
Fender MIM Strat

Amps:
Mesa/Boogie Dual Rectifier Roadster 212
Laney IronHeart IRT-Studio
Peavey Vypyr 30
Peavey ReValver Amp Sims
TOOOO many T.C. Electronic Pedals. . .
Quote by Cajundaddy
Lunchbox head for pub gigs, pod for apartment life. "Fizzy" describes a player, not the amp.

Or a fizzy sounding amp.
+1 to modeling for apartments. If you don't like digital than use analog pedals from Tech 21 or Monstro with a speaker simulator DI box that has a headphone out. You can use that with headphones or just plug into monitors. Blackstar's HT distortion pedals have a built-in speaker simulator and do decent modern metal sounds, and you can find them on Reverb for under $100.
Quote by Sir Stoney
Or a fizzy sounding amp.

Naw, just mostly kids who have yet to discover how tone controls work. No such thing as a "fizzy" Mesa unless it is being operated by a 15 yr old. "Fizzy" and "ice pick" are the mark of a novice player.
"Your sound is in your hands as much as anything. It's the way you pick, and the way you hold the guitar, more than it is the amp or the guitar you use." -- Stevie Ray Vaughan

"Anybody can play. The note is only 20 percent. The attitude of the motherfucker who plays it is 80 percent." -- Miles Davis

Last edited by Cajundaddy at Nov 10, 2015,
The Mini is a great amp, very manageable tone at any sound levels, love it. Don't know the other one but I don't regret getting mine.

Here's a quick demo I did on it at bedroom levels with some programmed drums:
https://soundcloud.com/egregoreband/mesa-mini-goofing-off-2
I love my mini recto. But to get its signature distortion it has to be on the 25 watt. The lower watt sounds ok.. And the volume goes from 0 to 1 no inbetween and 1 pretty loud. When I go to band practice it goes up to 2 tops. And that's with a loud drummer.

I'd check out the Kraken by Victory.
🍗🎹🎶🎼🎧🎤🎮👾🎸🎨🎷⚽️🎱🏁🎺🎻🍮🍰🍪📱👻🐔🐣🐥🐤🐽🐷💀👽💩💸🚽👻
Quote by Cajundaddy
Naw, just mostly kids who have yet to discover how tone controls work. No such thing as a "fizzy" Mesa unless it is being operated by a 15 yr old. "Fizzy" and "ice pick" are the mark of a novice player.

Well yes if you don't back off the treble knob. Amps can have an "Icepick" or "fizzy" tone. Saying that amps can't be "fizzy" is like saying amps cant be "bassy". Yeah, you're right about learning to set the EQ, but some amps are very hard to get rid of the fizz at low volumes. My peavey has that at bedroom volumes, no matter the EQ. As soon as I crank it the fizzy tone is gone.

Seriously though, I came here asking for advice. You ignore it and try to have this narcissistic personality by ridiculing one thing that had honestly nothing to do with the post. It was an opinion. I believe that the Mini Rectifier sound clips I Listened to had a fizzy tone. It's okay though, you're opinion is better than mine.

To make you feel better watch the Glenn Fricker video is "is the tone really in the hands", you'll be very surprised like I was. It was subtle.
irt studio head.

can be used as a headphone amp without a cab if desired.

3 channels

master volume

reverb

rock on.
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
Amplifiers are designed to amplify so any lunch box amp will be too loud or too disappointing at apt volumes. That is not the environment they were designed for. Anytime you use a tool well outside it's design environment you are likely to be disappointed.

Lunch box amps for pub gigs, Pod or amp sims for apt life.

But buy whatever gear pleases you.

Last edited by Cajundaddy at Nov 11, 2015,
ummmm tubemeister 18???? It has that fancy redbox thing for direct out without a cab and it sounds pretty nice
5150iii lbx just released no cleans though

don't downsize bro you will probably regret it....just turn that thing down
Live Rig
Michael Kelly Custom Shop Plum Telecaster
Michael Kelly Custom Shop Plum Patriot

EVH 5153 50w
Jet City 2x12
Custom Board

It is NOT trash metal it is tHrash metal...get it right