some ofthe older basses have finger rests not thumb rests does anyone actually use these anymore by placing there fingers on the rest and pluking the strings with their thumb

i think brian wilson used to play like this
I'm sure there are people about who use them, but finger-rests were introduced in the bass guitar's infancy with little understanding of how the instrument would be played. Playing with the fingers rather than the thumb is pretty much universally preferred because it gives you a lot more to work with
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
Youre officially uber shit now.

Quote by StewieSwan
3d9310rd is far more upset than i 
When I was young, I used to anchor on the corner of my neck pickup. Now, I tend to wedge my thumb between the E and body. I used to know a guy who anchored his fingers and used his thumb. It was very weird looking, but he could work the hell out of that thumb.
"Quick to judge. Quick to anger. Slow to understand. Ignorance and prejudice and fear walk hand-in-hand."
- Rush, "Witch Hunt"
i'm sure people do. My first bass had one and I took it off right away. I felt it was gonna restrict my freedom of movement if I became dependent on it. But to each his own. No right or wrong.
Fender eventually move the finger rest to a point above the E string so as to become the Thumb Rest.
These days I find myself resting my thumb on the pickup.
G&L L2500
Squier Affinity Jazz Bass 5
Ashdown RPM pre-amp
Ashdown Little Giant 1000
300 watt 15" powered cab
450 watt 15" powered sub bass cab
2x10 + horn
1x15x10 + horn
it's a bad habit to anchor in general so no
Quote by Kevätuhri
Hail isn't too edgy for posts, posts are not edgy enough for Hail.

Quote by UseYourThumb
You win. I'm done here.
I have a Thumb rest on only one of my basses and I put it there. I use it 100% of the time. If I am playing any of my other basses, the front neck pickup serves as a thumb rest. Now, I am not a big free float right hand fan, but I manage. Just not something I prefer. I want my right hand in the sweetspot of the bass
Mongo only Pawn in game of life
Quote by Hail
it's a bad habit to anchor in general so no

Not sure what you base that opinion on.
G&L L2500
Ashdown RPM pre-amp
300 watt 15" powered cab
2x10 + horn
1x15x10 + horn
My pickups had thumb rests on both sides, I used to always anchor my thumb on those when I started and didn't know what technique was.

To be honest they seem a bit limiting, I know Fender designed some to let players anchor their fingers and play with their thumb but that technique seems to limit potential for impressive play.
how do you edit signature?
Quote by John Swift
Not sure what you base that opinion on.

fact? experience?

i don't think anyone would every argue that keeping a part of your hand glued to a part of the instrument is conducive to playing well, unless you sit on the low B/E or E/A exclusively

floating thumb is simply superior in every possible way, especially if you don't play exclusively with one type of finger style
Quote by Kevätuhri

Quote by UseYourThumb
You win. I'm done here.
That just isn't true. A floating style doesn't make you a better bassist. It gives you a floating style. Nothing more. This is a discussion the same as if playing finger style or with a pick makes you better. In the bass world, this is just a personal preference. I play 5 or 6 string basses. Not because they have more strings, but I have more options and less hand movement. I use my thumb and a placement, not an anchor. My right hand is in between the 2 pickups or the over the sweetspot. I can lift my right hand and move over the neck or more back towards the bridge, but that is rare. Since for my bass and my style, I want that big fat growl I get from the sweetspot of my bass. Doesn't make it any better or worse, it just is
Mongo only Pawn in game of life
Quote by Hail
fact? experience?

First what do you base you so called fact on and secondly what experience have based you second point on.
G&L L2500
Ashdown RPM pre-amp
300 watt 15" powered cab
2x10 + horn
1x15x10 + horn
Quote by iriegnome
I use my thumb and a placement, not an anchor.

then where are we arguing

you have a preference on where to pluck. that does not mean you are stuck in that one spot and does not mean you are anchoring

if you are stuck in one spot, however, you are a bad bassist.

if you go to tremolo pick on another string beyond your range your hand will be stressed in a way that it should not be if you do not move your thumb from where it rests. that's just economy of motion and common sense. in addition, not utilizing floating thumb makes it more difficult to mute properly.

if you cannot switch between playing by the bridge and closer to the neck, if you cannot play on every string, if you cannot play with a pick and your fingers, if you cannot play with any combination of fingers, if you cannot slap/thump/tap/sweep/&c. you're objectively limiting the possibilities you can make.

by anchoring, you limit your ability to skip strings comfortably as well as your ability to switch between thumb/muted thumping and fingerstyle

this does not mean you need to do these things, but to argue that somebody who can do any technique proficiently as it is necessary is of the same skill level as someone who cannot is preposterous, and to suggest that it's technically sound to anchor makes it clear that a) you've never attempted to play anything technically difficult on bass, and b) because of this, you've never experienced tendonitis or cramps as a result of your poor technique or you'd know better

and this is just referring to fingerstyle. if you anchor and use a pick, there's not even a gray area. it's bad technique.

you need to highlight the ability to have several options on the fly, personal comfort, tone, proper muting and economy of motion. these are the necessities of proper technique. in most vanilla situations, you can get by with raw fingerstyle playing in "standard" position, but that's not going to work in every instance. in fact, i find myself using that style a very small portion of the time because i do have the ability to play clawhand, utilize dynamics, and actually work at my craft, so a lot of the time vanilla bass playing isn't the best sounding option when i want a cutting, aggressive tone, or a thick, palm-muted reggae sound.
Quote by Kevätuhri

Quote by UseYourThumb
You win. I'm done here.
Quote by Hail
then where are we arguing .

So what are you basing this on is it your experience or what you have read?
G&L L2500
Ashdown RPM pre-amp
300 watt 15" powered cab
2x10 + horn
1x15x10 + horn
Quote by dougmarks1234
some ofthe older basses have finger rests not thumb rests does anyone actually use these anymore by placing there fingers on the rest and pluking the strings with their thumb

i think brian wilson used to play like this

When Bass guitar first became popular it was assumed that the thumb would be used with the fingers on the rest.
It was soon realised that most of the early bassists used a Plectrum (pick) because many originals electric Bassists moved over from playing guitar whilst others started to use the finger technique, for example Jack Bruce and John Entwhistle.
I used to use finger and thumb on certain types of riffs to emulate the up and down movement of the plectrum.
Just remember if everyone listened to the pedants bass would a very boring world.
You must also remember that most of the guitarists and Bassists from the very early 60s knew little or no theory, hence the classic music played by those greats.
I spoke to two old friends one who at one time played for Jo Cocker and asked them what scales they based there playing on and both said "None Why?", says it all.
G&L L2500
Ashdown RPM pre-amp
300 watt 15" powered cab
2x10 + horn
1x15x10 + horn
oh wait you don't know music theory either? you're one of those guys?

if you did you'd know scales don't matter at all outside of getting your fingers warmed up

i'm sorry you never thought that bass could be more than a background noise i guess some artist you are
Quote by Kevätuhri

Quote by UseYourThumb
You win. I'm done here.
Last edited by Hail at Jan 12, 2016,
Quote by Hail

if you did you'd know scales don't matter at all outside of getting your fingers warmed up

i'm sorry you never thought that bass could be more than a background noise i guess some artist you are

Hmm started gigging in 1962 one week after I'd transferred to Bass, played 4-5 nights a week through Beatlemania.
Joined the British army in 1966 and in June became a full time musician playing in the Dance Band, Rock Band on Bass guitar and took up Eb Baritone Sax for the military band.
In 1967 I passed the entrance exams to Knellar Hall The Royal Military School of Music London which was a very strict regime from 0800 till 1600 everyday where I studied Saxophone and all aspects of music.
I left the army in 1969 and worked in a Big Band (Glen Miller Dorsey style) on Bass guitar along with two years residency in a Jazz Club, I also worked as a resident musician backing artistes where you were presented with the dots as you went on stage.
I still play regularly today in a soft rock band.
G&L L2500
Ashdown RPM pre-amp
300 watt 15" powered cab
2x10 + horn
1x15x10 + horn
Last edited by John Swift at Jan 14, 2016,
Quote by Hail

Well little know all.
G&L L2500
Ashdown RPM pre-amp
300 watt 15" powered cab
2x10 + horn
1x15x10 + horn
i usually see thumb rests on the more vintage p or j basses .. i dont mind them personally.. i use the pickup as a rest at times..
Quote by Spaz91
Everything about that post is hideous.

Well he earned a warning for it...