Anyone have any ideas? I am thinking of going with the Blackstar ID:TVP-H but I want some opinions from other people. So Start opinionizing!
Schecter C-1 Special Atomic Orange
Fender Mustang Amplifier 2 V2

- To All Of My Gear -

"I met you as a stranger, took you as a friend. I hope our long friendship will never end."

~ MIZSCORPIO
Last edited by Liam-Phillips at Nov 10, 2015,
Any reason it has to be solid state or are you just thinking SS is cheaper?

Do you have a budget?

What kind of music do you play?

Will you buy new or used?

Do you need things like (Built in reverb, an effects loop etc...)?
Quote by zgr0826
My culture is worthless and absolutely inferior to the almighty Leaf.

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
Any reason it has to be solid state or are you just thinking SS is cheaper?

Do you have a budget?

What kind of music do you play?

Will you buy new or used?

Do you need things like (Built in reverb, an effects loop etc...)?

Solid State is cheaper. I have also heard that SS holds up better in certain situations than tube amps, but that could be biased on someones opinion. Other than that, I don't want to pay more money to replace tubes in a tube amp later on.

Budget: Preferably $1,000-1,500 combining an Amp Head, and a Cab...

I play Metal, but am open to all kinds of music, and enjoy blues, and the like.

I would like to buy new, but if I can find a good deal that I know is true and not a scam, than sure, I will buy used.

I wouldn't mind having built in effects but it's not an absolute must. Besides, I can get a POD HD500x later on that has hundreds of effects, and downloadable effects/presets from actual bands. (I love the Axe-FX but don't have that kind of money).

- To All Of My Gear -

"I met you as a stranger, took you as a friend. I hope our long friendship will never end."

~ MIZSCORPIO
Last edited by Liam-Phillips at Nov 10, 2015,
Quote by Liam-Phillips
Solid State is cheaper. I have also heard that SS holds up better in certain situations than tube amps, but that could be biased on someones opinion. Other than that, I don't want to pay more money to replace tubes in a tube amp later on.

Honestly, you're locking yourself out of amazing amps if that's why you won't buy them. As for the tube thing, you aren't replacing tubes as often as you think you have to. I've had my power tubes in the amp for a couple of years now. Still runs fine. There are tons of budget tube amps that could work out for you.

If sound quality is something important to you, I would suggest softening that stance. It's almost guaranteed you'll probably have to upgrade your amp once your ears get better and if you cheap out on your amp, you'll be spending more money in the long run because now you have to buy another amp to replace the one you don't like.

Quote by Liam-Phillips

I play Metal, but am open to all kinds of music, and enjoy blues, and the like.

But you're primarily playing metal right? I'm guessing you would prefer a separate clean and drive channel then?

Quote by Liam-Phillips
I would like to buy new, but if I can find a good deal that I know is true and not a scam, than sure, I will buy used.

Do you have any local guitar shops (I.E. Not guitar center or Sam Ash)? They might have a decent used section and you'd be able to save some money that way. Guitar Centers also have used sections so you might be able to find something you like there.

Quote by Liam-Phillips

I wouldn't mind having built in effects but it's not an absolute must. Besides, I can can a POD HD500x later on that has hundreds of effects, and downloadable effects/presets from actual bands. (I love the Axe-FX but don't have that kind of money).

Cool. IMO its better to have seperate effects anyway. That way, if you don't like a chorus sound or delay sound, you can just get rid of the pedal instead.

That being said, if you're insistent on SS amps, I can't really help you (I don't play many of them) but hopefully somebody else can pop in with suggestions.

Otherwise, if you want metal on a budget, You can't beat a Peavey 6505. The Jet City JCA series can get pretty heavy too. If you can find one, you could check out something like a Peavey Triple XXX or a Laney IRT or GH/VH series amp. The 6505 is probably the most "modern metal" sounding compared to the XXX and the JCA. If you can stretch your budget closer too 800-1000 bucks, you could probably pick up a used Mesa/Boogie too.
Quote by zgr0826

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
Last edited by H4T3BR33D3R at Nov 10, 2015,
"Your sound is in your hands as much as anything. It's the way you pick, and the way you hold the guitar, more than it is the amp or the guitar you use." -- Stevie Ray Vaughan

"Anybody can play. The note is only 20 percent. The attitude of the motherfucker who plays it is 80 percent." -- Miles Davis

Guthrie on tone: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zmohdG9lLqY
Skip the modeling amps and check out Orange's Crush Pro analog line. Also consider a used Sunn amp, although you'll have to be patient to find one.
Quote by jpnyc
Skip the modeling amps and check out Orange's Crush Pro analog line. Also consider a used Sunn amp, although you'll have to be patient to find one.

Maybe an Ampeg VH140c? Those might be hard to find/expensive now though?
Quote by zgr0826

Quote by JustRooster
Quote by Cajundaddy

Wait so does it actually work to use a MFX board plugged into a speaker as a rig?

- To All Of My Gear -

~ MIZSCORPIO
Quote by Liam-Phillips
Wait so does it actually work to use a MFX board plugged into a speaker as a rig?

If it is a powered speaker yes.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
But how would I turn the volume down? Or would I just have to get a speaker with a specific wattage of volume?

- To All Of My Gear -

~ MIZSCORPIO
Quote by Liam-Phillips
But how would I turn the volume down? Or would I just have to get a speaker with a specific wattage of volume?

Powered speakers normally have a basic EQ/line in that has level controls
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Oh yeah I just noticed that on the back of the one Cajundaddy recommended...SWEET!

- To All Of My Gear -

~ MIZSCORPIO
So cabinets are powered amps right? Or are they just speakers? Cuz if possible, I would like to get a POD HD500x and run it into a Mesa Mini-Reco 1x12 Cab...

- To All Of My Gear -

~ MIZSCORPIO
Here is a Pod/ELX rig recorded with a crappy phone mic.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yuqzwq97H4g
"Your sound is in your hands as much as anything. It's the way you pick, and the way you hold the guitar, more than it is the amp or the guitar you use." -- Stevie Ray Vaughan

"Anybody can play. The note is only 20 percent. The attitude of the motherfucker who plays it is 80 percent." -- Miles Davis

Seconding a Sunn amp. You don't get much of a better sounding low-end drive than that.

Save up, get an original Model T.
Quote by EndTheRapture51
who pays five hundred fucking dollars for a burger
Quote by Liam-Phillips
So cabinets are powered amps right? Or are they just speakers? Cuz if possible, I would like to get a POD HD500x and run it into a Mesa Mini-Reco 1x12 Cab...

No guitar cabs are not usually powered, HOWEVER, you can get a separate power amp And run your POD into that and go from there to a normal cab.

Think of it this way:

There is the preamp, this is where most of your tone shaping is done (in this case, your POD)

The power amp takes the preamp signal and raises the signal to a level appropriate to be sent through speakers

The cab is where it all goes

There are also powered speakers (called monitors sometimes or wedges, depending on the type) which combine the power amp and cab. An amp head combines the power and preamp. A combo amp (particularly in terms of guitar) comes with the power amp, preamp and a built speaker or two (occasionally more).
I'm just a kickin' and a gougin' in the mud and the blood and the beer.
Yeah that's true, I don't know why I asked that question...you would obviously need a power amp to do that. I am thinking POD HD500x into an EV ELX115p but I am hearing mixed reviews/opinions on the POD...what do you think?

- To All Of My Gear -

~ MIZSCORPIO
I had a POD HD500X. I thought it was an awesome piece of gear, it had a lot of sounds and many that were excellent. It definitely excels with the more metal amps. The mid gain and low gain stuff is still good, but it takes more work to get the subtleties out of it that you get with a real tube amp.

For someone who gigs, or plans to, I'd recommend it a hundred times over. It's lightweight, and you have your entire rig at your feet. Much easier than a tube amp and external effects. It might not offer an exact replication of the things it models, but the sounds you can get will be more than good enough for most any application, only YOU will appreciate the difference.

If you only want to play at home, I say go for an amp that you really like and keep it simple. I got rid of mine because I don't need a lot of versatility and I don't gig. I really just wanted a Mesa Boogie and so I figured I might as well get the real deal if I didn't need anything else.

Up to you, just how I look at it.
Quote by Liam-Phillips

...And most MFX units have volume controls. Some are complete preamp setups (Pod HD, for example).

It's basically an amp modeller with a user IR slot and an FX loop.

Basically Axe Fx minus effects and just a single amp/cab block.

600 dollars.
400 or so for a Crown poweramp.
Another 600 or so for a pair of passive studio monitors

?????

Profit.

https://soundcloud.com/guitdemoson

Clips. Quite a lot of them.
Last edited by GS LEAD 5 at Nov 10, 2015,
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
Maybe an Ampeg VH140c? Those might be hard to find/expensive now though?

That and the Crate version are easy to find. But they're good for early death metal, not the metal people play in 2015.
Last edited by jpnyc at Nov 10, 2015,
Quote by Liam-Phillips
Yeah that's true, I don't know why I asked that question...you would obviously need a power amp to do that. I am thinking POD HD500x into an EV ELX115p but I am hearing mixed reviews/opinions on the POD...what do you think?

It may not be the right rig for everyone. It does require a bit of tech savy and sophistication with sound shaping, but the right player sounds INCREDIBLE through this (Oz Fox). Especially hi gain stuff because of it's extended range and huge bass response. Probably not ideal for a novice player though. To many choices.

Quote by jpnyc

have you tried any of the crush pro? they were terribly disappointing when i tried one. overpriced too.

i want an ISP theta ATM. i haven't had my hands on one yet though, the demos seem pretty cool though.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
That's not bad actually...your demos sound really good :P

- To All Of My Gear -

~ MIZSCORPIO
Quote by GS LEAD 5

It's basically an amp modeller with a user IR slot and an FX loop.

Basically Axe Fx minus effects and just a single amp/cab block.

600 dollars.
400 or so for a Crown poweramp.
Another 600 or so for a pair of passive studio monitors

?????

Profit.

https://soundcloud.com/guitdemoson

Clips. Quite a lot of them.

So technically I could get the amplifire and plug it straight in to a PA speaker and it would work fine right? Because I would rather do that than get a power amp if possible. BUT, if I decided to get an actual cabinet, than yeah I would get the power amp.

- To All Of My Gear -

~ MIZSCORPIO
Quote by Liam-Phillips
So technically I could get the amplifire and plug it straight in to a PA speaker and it would work fine right? Because I would rather do that than get a power amp if possible. BUT, if I decided to get an actual cabinet, than yeah I would get the power amp.

Not just a PA speaker, specifically a POWERED speaker. It can be for studio use, it could be a monitor like you'd use at a show... As long as it's powered you could do that.
Oh yeah that's what I meant...I thought PA meant Powered...so considering that I am inexperienced with pedals, what do I need to get for the Amplifire besides a power amp, and a cab?

- To All Of My Gear -

~ MIZSCORPIO
Quote by Liam-Phillips
Oh yeah that's what I meant...I thought PA meant Powered...so considering that I am inexperienced with pedals, what do I need to get for the Amplifire besides a power amp, and a cab?

PA means Public Address. It's speakers used to amplify talking in front of crowds. Works fine for any audio applications though.

I'd recommend getting something bigger with 15" woofers and a tweeter horn. The type of speakers that live venues or DJs tend to use. You need that kind of woofer to accurately reproduce low end frequencies that would be lost with anything smaller. Even most guitar cabs start to fail at anything under 110 (your 5th string).

That's just from my experience DJing though, and you have way more low end than would be coming out of a guitar. In theory with an extended range guitar you would probably be cutting out some of those extreme low frequencies anyway. It really depends on what exactly you plan on doing with an 8 string. If you want that shitty generic djent or deathcore sound, a lot of lows are cut. If you're playing solo guitar clean or maybe doom, then those low frequencies might be needed either due to lacking a bass guitarist or, as the case in doom, wanting all the low end possible from every instrument.
There's no such thing; there never was. Where I am going you cannot follow me now.
Last edited by theogonia777 at Nov 11, 2015,
Quote by theogonia777

I'd recommend getting something bigger with 15" woofers and a tweeter horn. The type of speakers that live venues or DJs tend to use. You need that kind of woofer to accurately reproduce low end frequencies that would be lost with anything smaller. Even most guitar cabs start to fail at anything under 110 (your 5th string).

Ah alright...so I should probably go with the powered EV ELX115p...it's got all that stuff...

- To All Of My Gear -

~ MIZSCORPIO
^from my understanding it's not necessarily all about the size of the cone when it comes to bass reproduction, but the design itself? Not saying that a 15 and tweeter horn is a bad idea, on the contrary, for an 8-string guitar you probably want a range beyond what a guitar can can give and thus a good full range speaker combo is a great idea
I've used a bunch of EVs and never licked them. The newer Behringer stuff was designed by an engineer from Bose. It's mostly the Eurolive series. The B115D is 600 RMS/1000 peak for only about $300 I think. I have a couple of B615Ds that are about $100 more but 1000 RMS/1500 peak.

Quote by dementiacaptain
^from my understanding it's not necessarily all about the size of the cone when it comes to bass reproduction, but the design itself? Not saying that a 15 and tweeter horn is a bad idea, on the contrary, for an 8-string guitar you probably want a range beyond what a guitar can can give and thus a good full range speaker combo is a great idea

Design is certainly part of it, but larger speakers are generally better than smaller speakers for low end. 12" speakers might be adequate, but modern Class D passive speakers are pretty lightweight and cost differences aren't a ton, so there's not really a downside to going with 15" over 12".
There's no such thing; there never was. Where I am going you cannot follow me now.
Last edited by theogonia777 at Nov 11, 2015,
Yeah, so I should probably go with the original powered speaker I was talking about earlier, the EV ELZ115p...it's got a 15'' sub in the back and some great wattage etc. etc. It would handle all of that pretty well. It's just going to up my price about $200-$250 but that's alright...so far I got a price WITHOUT the 8-String I want of about $1500. Of course, I will need to buy some patch cables or whatever you call those things to hook up the Amplifire with its' in and out puts...so that will run me at about $1500-$1550 at most...

That is, unless the 112p with the 12'' costs less...why didn't I think of that?

- To All Of My Gear -

~ MIZSCORPIO
Quote by theogonia777

Design is certainly part of it, but larger speakers are generally better than smaller speakers for low end. 12" speakers might be adequate, but modern Class D passive speakers are pretty lightweight and cost differences aren't a ton, so there's not really a downside to going with 15" over 12".

So with the Amplifire and EV ELX 112p (a few people recommended EV's) my price runs $1,110...it'll probably end up a little over with important cables that I will need, but it's not a bad price. With the 8-String Agile Interceptor Pro 828 EB EMG, it'll run me like $1,810...so still not bad...

- To All Of My Gear -

~ MIZSCORPIO