And mildly unconventional thread titles

Alright so over about an hour and a half, last night I built myself a diddley bow (my first ever 'build'), which frankly is a lot of fun for something that's a plank, a string, a screw, a can and a tuning peg, and now I'm thinking of adding a pickup to my instrument. Trouble is, I know next to nothing about doing what I'm about to do.

I have the pickups from a cheap strat copy I 'disassembled' which I'd like to use, but I'm not sure how I should position the pickup, if I should have the poles parallel to the string or crossed like a regular guitar but with one string.

The other thing is if I choose to run it parallel, should I angle the pickup to run parallel to the string so that the bridge end of the pickup is higher to be the same distance from the string?

Any and all help is appreciated!

I'm probably overthinking this but I want to give it a go.
A poem.
Quote by yoman297
no girl, movember isnt for you. shave your stache pls

I can out-bore you any day
I've been wondering about the same thing in the context of a three string CBG - whether to angle the pickup, and if so, how.

I would try running it parallel to the string. I think it would sound too mushy, so I would then try pulling some of the pole slugs to leave maybe two or three adjacent ones. But it is really try it and see.
It'll work whichever way you put it. Adjusting the height will let you change the sound slightly. If it's too bright, lower the pickup at the bridge end. If your bridge is a can, then you might need something under the pickup to bring it closer too the string.
Last edited by sashki at Nov 10, 2015,
this video sums it up extremely well , the limits of pickups

seymour duncan for diagrams
ebay or stewmac to local guitar shops for parts
piezo transducers , single coils , humbuckers to whatever smoking hot deal we find on ebay / craigslist shall do. As long as the string has somewhere to ground and it doesn't fall out or off you're fine.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hFyQXy74xz4
Quote by Tony Done
I would try running it parallel to the string. I think it would sound too mushy, so I would then try pulling some of the pole slugs to leave maybe two or three adjacent ones. But it is really try it and see.

I tried using an acoustic soundhole pickup I have laying around and it seemed pretty good, a bit dull though, so I'll definitely pull a couple of slugs out of the final pickup.

I'm also thinking that having the three remaining slugs angled to create a larger pickup area will be useful, as the signal did get weak when the string moved away from the poles.

Quote by sashki
It'll work whichever way you put it. Adjusting the height will let you change the sound slightly. If it's too bright, lower the pickup at the bridge end. If your bridge is a can, then you might need something under the pickup to bring it closer too the string.

I think I'll have it raised at the bridge end, brighter sounds = better for me.
A poem.
Quote by yoman297
no girl, movember isnt for you. shave your stache pls

I can out-bore you any day
Use lots of lube.

I am being that guy right now.
Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
I also have to do that. Cottaging this weekend
the title warranted the response
A poem.