Okay, I have officially started now that I have nearly all the tools I need. I started cutting my neck pieces (5 piece neck from side profile template) but now I cannot figure out what size truss rod I need. The scale is 25.4" (martin scale for dreadnought) and neck length is 21 3/8ths, the fretboard is 17 7/8ths from the nut. So what size truss rod to use?
Quote by pks330
Okay, I have officially started now that I have nearly all the tools I need. I started cutting my neck pieces (5 piece neck from side profile template) but now I cannot figure out what size truss rod I need. The scale is 25.4" (martin scale for dreadnought) and neck length is 21 3/8ths, the fretboard is 17 7/8ths from the nut. So what size truss rod to use?

depends upon your neck block design and where you put your adjustment nut. i use a spanish heel type of block with an extended tongue and run the rod through that and the utg as well.
I want the truss to be headstock adjustable, neck block will be dovetail.
the t-rod anchor should end mid point into the neck block. calculate from there and order online. most likely a typical martin length will work fine.

i happen to like these:
http://www.lmii.com/products/mostly-not-wood/truss-rods/neck-parts/truss-rod-double-action-welded-nut

i make parlors, basses, and electrics with odd scales so i'm always dealing with weird t-rods. at some point i'm just going to make my own.
Last edited by ad_works at Nov 12, 2015,