Is it the plate surrounding the pickup or the pickup itself or combination of the two.

Q. What is the difference between a telecaster bridge pickup and Stratocaster bridge pickup .

To me the bridge pickup position in the Stratocaster is not usable, it is too trebly ,shrill ice pick . However the telecaster pickup in the bridge position sounds quite exquisite. It's trebly yes but it's a good trebly.

This has always been a mystery to me.
Quote by yope
Is it the plate surrounding the pickup or the pickup itself or combination of the two.

yes.
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
Quote by yope

Q. What is the difference between a telecaster bridge pickup and Stratocaster bridge pickup .

To me the bridge pickup position in the Stratocaster is not usable, it is too trebly ,shrill ice pick . However the telecaster pickup in the bridge position sounds quite exquisite. It's trebly yes but it's a good trebly.

This has always been a mystery to me.

Both bridge PUs are supremely useable and sound badass in different ways. Ice picks are only for players that have not yet discovered their tone control.
"Your sound is in your hands as much as anything. It's the way you pick, and the way you hold the guitar, more than it is the amp or the guitar you use." -- Stevie Ray Vaughan

"Anybody can play. The note is only 20 percent. The attitude of the motherfucker who plays it is 80 percent." -- Miles Davis

Guthrie on tone: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zmohdG9lLqY
Quote by Cajundaddy
Both bridge PUs are supremely useable and sound badass in different ways. Ice picks are only for players that have not yet discovered their tone control.

totally agree.
Aren't most strats wired by default without tone control on the bridge pickup?
Guitars
Schecter Hellraiser C-1FR, C-1 Classic, Hellraiser Hybrid Solo-II, Special Edition E-1FR-S
Orange Rockerverb 50 212
Basses
Yamaha RBX374 and Washburn MB-6
Simple mod to wire the tone control to the bridge pick up then roll the tone back a little and all good
Quote by gregs1020
yes.

+1

_____

seriously, strat bridge pickups are fucking awesome. so are tele bridge pickups.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Quote by the_bi99man
Aren't most strats wired by default without tone control on the bridge pickup?

yes. simple mod to change that. otherwise just turn down the treble on your amp.
Still don't know what effect the plate has on the pickup of the telecaster, does it widen the magnetic field and take the brittleness out. What's the difference between a telecaster and the Stratocaster's bridge pickup? They look the same but I'll bet the telecaster has more output.
How many memorable guitar solos have been recorded on hit records using the bridge pickup on a Les Paul? How many on telecaster? SG? ES 335? How about the Stratocaster's bridge pickup how many important guitar solos have been played using that.?
I'm aware of a few but that number pales in comparison to the other guitars bridge pickups as does the sound. Most Stratocaster players do not use the bridge pickup stock. I wired up the tone control to it and it doesn't turn it into another guitar. I'm not Eric Johnson though.
When I was a kid in the 60s I was auditioning for a band. We played"you're gonna lose that girl'by the Beatles. The solo on that is kind of on the treble side. So for the first and last time ever I used my bridge pickup on my 63 Stratocaster. One of the guys said " can't you make it sound like a guitar" I played the lead note for note perfectly but it didn't matter because the tone of the guitar sounded like ship.

This is all totally subjective and a matter of opinion this is my opinion.
Last edited by yope at Nov 11, 2015,
Quote by yope
Still don't know what effect the plate has on the pickup of the telecaster, does it widen the magnetic field and take the brittleness out. What's the difference between a telecaster and the Stratocaster's bridge pickup? They look the same but I'll bet the telecaster has more output.

I believe the Telecaster bridge pickup does indeed have more output. I seriously doubt any very scientific research has been done on the effect of the ashtray bridge, but I'm sure there's plenty of anecdotal evidence to be had.
Quote by yope
How many memorable guitar solos have been recorded on hit records using the bridge pickup on a Les Paul? How many on telecaster? SG? ES 335? How about the Stratocaster's bridge pickup how many important guitar solos have been played using that.?

I imagine quite a lot in all cases. Difficult to say given the amount of speculation that often surrounds specific setups. Certainly I believe Stevie Ray was quite versatile in his pickup choices, though as I understand it his favourite tone was the bridge+middle position. But yeah, okay, probably not so many on a Strat bridge-only position.
Quote by yope
I'm aware of a few but that number pales in comparison to the other guitars bridge pickups as does the sound. Most Stratocaster players do not use the bridge pickup stock. I wired up the tone control to it and it doesn't turn it into another guitar. I'm not Eric Johnson though.
When I was a kid in the 60s I was auditioning for a band. We played"you're gonna lose that girl'by the Beatles. The solo on that is kind of on the treble side. So for the first and last time ever I used my bridge pickup on my 63 Stratocaster. One of the guys said " can't you make it sound like a guitar" I played the lead note for note perfectly but it didn't matter because the tone of the guitar sounded like ship.

This is all totally subjective and a matter of opinion this is my opinion.

My initial response to this was doubtful, but actually it does make a fair amount of sense. If your problem is that the pickup is ice-picky and trebly, a tone knob will solve that. However, I can certainly see where you're coming from if we talk about what the pickup lacks rather than what it has in excess - on my Tele I mostly live in the middle positions of my four-way switch (neck only and both pickups in parallel). Especially if we're talking before the era of calibrated sets (which I believe would include a '63 Strat, since Fender's CS '57/'62 set, modelled on those of a '63, are all the same output level), the relatively low output of singlecoils combined with the inherently weaker vibration by the bridge means you're going to get a pretty thin sound out of your pickups. And if you boost the volume to compensate for the drop in output I can imagine it could take a fair bit of EQ'ing to coax something pleasant out of it. For the most part, the middle position is plenty enough treble and a more gratifying level of output.
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
Youre officially uber shit now.

Quote by StewieSwan
3d9310rd is far more upset than i 
Last edited by K33nbl4d3 at Nov 11, 2015,
plenty of solos done on the bridge pup of a strat. ritchie blackmore uses either the bridge or the neck so many of his slolos are the bridge. hendrix used the bridge a great deal. i use the bridge of my strats very often. treble control on my amp works fine proper eqing is the trick.
Jimi , Clapton, Blackmore, Harrison, SRV, John Mayer, Buddy Guy, and many others use the hell out of the Strat bridge PU. I play about 1/2 our set on the Bridge of either Strat, Tele, SG, LP, or 335. No reason to ignore 1/2 the awesome tones available at the flip of a switch. If you need smooth, go to the neck. If you need bite, go to the bridge.
"Your sound is in your hands as much as anything. It's the way you pick, and the way you hold the guitar, more than it is the amp or the guitar you use." -- Stevie Ray Vaughan

"Anybody can play. The note is only 20 percent. The attitude of the motherfucker who plays it is 80 percent." -- Miles Davis

Quote by Cajundaddy
Jimi , Clapton, Blackmore, Harrison, SRV, John Mayer, Buddy Guy, and many others use the hell out of the Strat bridge PU. I play about 1/2 our set on the Bridge of either Strat, Tele, SG, LP, or 335. No reason to ignore 1/2 the awesome tones available at the flip of a switch. If you need smooth, go to the neck. If you need bite, go to the bridge.

the second part of the second solo by Clapton on the Layla album of the song have you ever loved a woman it really does sound like he switches to the bridge pickup and the effect using those Albert King riffs his spine tingling. I don't think he uses it that much though. Not on the old-fashioned Stratocaster. Jimi Hendrix is unfair because nobody was like him if he used it a lot I don't know but if he did he is Jimi Hendrix and not us.

Not too sure about SRV maybe he did use it I see a lot of him playing with the neck pickup a lot. I don't know about the other ones you mentioned. If you like the bridge pickup go for it. Maybe the amp you use is more friendly to it than mine, well, the 20 or 30 some amps I have used in my lifetime. I usually played Stratocaster's but used 2 Les Pauls also.

And to be fair I had a Carvin Stratocaster with Tex-Mex pickups with tone control wired into the bridge pickup and it did sound kind of good for some stuff. A lot better than some of the of the Stratocaster bridge pickups I have used . Especially on the low strings. But I switched it out for a Seymour Duncan hot rails pickup. That thing is musical it's is total focused mid range in your face.
Last edited by yope at Nov 12, 2015,
Quote by monwobobbo
yes. simple mod to change that. otherwise just turn down the treble on your amp.

Well yeah, but that's what I mean. Takes a little more than "discovering" your tone control, if the guitar needs to be modified for it to do anything.
Guitars
Schecter Hellraiser C-1FR, C-1 Classic, Hellraiser Hybrid Solo-II, Special Edition E-1FR-S
Orange Rockerverb 50 212
Basses
Yamaha RBX374 and Washburn MB-6
Quote by the_bi99man
Well yeah, but that's what I mean. Takes a little more than "discovering" your tone control, if the guitar needs to be modified for it to do anything.

On a stock Strat, the 3rd knob is the tone control for the bridge PU by design. It works great to tame the treble and find meaty tone there. Watch Jimi, Buddy Guy, John Mayer, Ritchie Blackmore, or Jeff Beck on YouTube vids. They swing in and out of the bridge PU nearly every song as a tool for expression.

I think I am going to mod my Tele for the same effect. I never need to roll off treble on my neck PU but often use it for the bridge. I may re-wire it so the tone knob affects the bridge only.

Last edited by Cajundaddy at Nov 12, 2015,
The secret is that the first winds is entirely made of Leo Fender's hair. They harvested follicles from him in the late 60's and have been farming them in an underground facility ever since.
OBEY THE MIGHTY SHITKICKER
Quote by yope
the second part of the second solo by Clapton on the Layla album of the song have you ever loved a woman it really does sound like he switches to the bridge pickup and the effect using those Albert King riffs his spine tingling. I don't think he uses it that much though. Not on the old-fashioned Stratocaster. Jimi Hendrix is unfair because nobody was like him if he used it a lot I don't know but if he did he is Jimi Hendrix and not us.

Not too sure about SRV maybe he did use it I see a lot of him playing with the neck pickup a lot. I don't know about the other ones you mentioned. If you like the bridge pickup go for it. Maybe the amp you use is more friendly to it than mine, well, the 20 or 30 some amps I have used in my lifetime. I usually played Stratocaster's but used 2 Les Pauls also.

And to be fair I had a Carvin Stratocaster with Tex-Mex pickups with tone control wired into the bridge pickup and it did sound kind of good for some stuff. A lot better than some of the of the Stratocaster bridge pickups I have used . Especially on the low strings. But I switched it out for a Seymour Duncan hot rails pickup. That thing is musical it's is total focused mid range in your face.

well i'm no jimi but i manage to use my bridge pup just fine. jimi didn't have any magic way of using it it just worked for his setup. fuzz circuits back then tended to rob some highs and wha pedals don't work as well with the neck pickup. it's kind of a myth that strat players only use the neck pickup. if you have a very bright amp then it can be kinda icepicky for sure. throwing in a eq pedal can solve much of that without sacrificing your high end. SRV certainly used his bridge pup for some solos as well as rhythm. gary moore used it a lot back in the early 80s.