I'm in the phase of just playing around, but kinda want something that has enough power to stick with for awhile. I have never bought an amp before, and the more I mess around with my guitar, I'm not so sure I necessarily want to stick solely to rock/metal. I guess I'm looking for a possibly mythical jack-of-all trades combo amp.

I currently have a Squire Bullet Strat HSS that I'm tooling with around in Rocksmith and online instructions. I've not played in a band before, so even if 100W (what I have listed) is overkill, I would like to be able to jam with my brother who is a drummer in a local band and not be drowned out.

The amps that have my interest are the Peavy Vypyr VIP 3 (100W) and the Fender Mustang III. I like the option to use a USB connection and edit the effects. The optional footswitch/stompbox available for both has me interested as well I'm leaning toward a combo amp so I can play around with different effects while I'm still a n00b here. As of right now, I'm leaning toward the Vypyr because the used prices come up under $200.
I know both run around $300 new. I'm still researching this, and don't look to purchase until January/February 2016, so I'm not in a rush.
First of all, wattage =/= volume. Vox amps, for instance, have a reputation as being very loud for their wattage. So, you won't actually need 100w to play with your brother- 30w will be able to keep up with most drummers, and 50-60w may even drown some out.

Personally, I prefer amps that deliver great cleans- a blank slate that I can muck up with pedals. Fender (which I own), Vox and Carvin are among my faves for doing so,

But approaching from the other side has its benefits. I love my Fender- it does blues, country, classic rock, jazz and a bunch of stuff very well- but it doesn't do justice to anything heavier. Vox does much better.

But if you primarily want heavier tones, instead, look at the amps designed to to deliver those tones. Orange, Mesa, Peavey, Jet City spring to mind.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
Honestly, unless we're maybe talking one of the newer tube usb enabled Lany offerings I don't think you'll get anything very good for that price or having the USB ability puts in processor+power amp category for the most part.

Maybe this used (Bogner designed Spider Valve, either Mk I or MK II):
http://line6.com/spidervalvemkii/

I'd personally suggest a Marshall DSL40C or Traynor YCV50B, both of which will cover pretty much all the genres you might need, maybe overdrive pedal for some extra boost for most extreme metal or leads but they're quite capable and good sounding for wide range of music.
Last edited by diabolical at Nov 11, 2015,
The older Peavey Vypir series. 30 and up imo(they have 12 inch speakers).
Well, you can call me crazy
You can call me wrong, 'cause
See I was born a liar, albatross
Fly on, fly on
Thanks for the replies so far. I thought 100W could be high, but wasn't sure. Now I know.

I'll need to play them, but so far upon reassessment, the Vox VT40 and Orange Crush 35 seem like something I should look into. The Marshall could be a possibility too.

I managed to test out the VT40 at Guitar Center today, but didn't have a ton of time to get a thorough run with it. One of the guys there said he played in a local band and uses a 40W amp, so that confirms my initial assessment was off.
Quote by bjgrifter
Thanks for the replies so far. I thought 100W could be high, but wasn't sure. Now I know.

I'll need to play them, but so far upon reassessment, the Vox VT40 and Orange Crush 35 seem like something I should look into. The Marshall could be a possibility too.

I managed to test out the VT40 at Guitar Center today, but didn't have a ton of time to get a thorough run with it. One of the guys there said he played in a local band and uses a 40W amp, so that confirms my initial assessment was off.

guessing it was a valve amp. not SS mate.
valve amps are way louder.
Fly on, fly on
Yeah, it was a Valvetronix. I want to play around with it some more and also compare some of the Orange models as well. I'm considering the VT-20 as that may have plenty for my needs and has the same controls as the VT-40.
Quote by bjgrifter
Yeah, it was a Valvetronix. I want to play around with it some more and also compare some of the Orange models as well. I'm considering the VT-20 as that may have plenty for my needs and has the same controls as the VT-40.

No, I'm saying your shop dude probably played with a 40 watt valve amp. SS would buzz and break up and it would probably sound(for live an solid state you'd need 60-70 imo)
Fly on, fly on
Quote by bjgrifter
Ah. Well, that's giving me good reason to lean towards valves.

Preference mate.
You can always get an SS 100/150 watt amp(like I have) if you like it.
Fly on, fly on
Quote by bjgrifter

Isn't the VT-20 only a 8" Speaker? I have a VT15 which was the version before the VT20. It's fine for home use, but I wouldn't recommend playing in a band with it.
Quote by dombar335
Isn't the VT-20 only a 8" Speaker? I have a VT15 which was the version before the VT20. It's fine for home use, but I wouldn't recommend playing in a band with it.

Yeah, it's an 8" and the VT-40 is a 10". Is there a correlation to speaker size and use...as a general rule. I mean, I don't see anyone at OzzFest using some lunchbox sized amp. If I ever get to that point, I'll deal with it then. Right now, something that can run with a band is probably a good idea to keep as a requirement.
A lot of times, the actual amps producing the sound you hear are small amps mic'ed up behind a wall of dummy cabinets.

For example:
http://www.metalinjection.net/latest-news/drama/why-black-veil-brides-fake-amps-are-no-big-deal

http://www.metalinjection.net/shocking-revelations/machine-head-defend-usage-of-fake-amps-on-stage
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
Last edited by dannyalcatraz at Nov 11, 2015,
Interesting. I don't see anything past local, if that. Right now it's DIY Rock N' Roll Fantasy Camp/Early Mid-Life Crisis.

The stuff I picked up playing brass instruments helps a little, but it's still a new adventure.
Sounds like a Super Champ XD may work out for you. I've never tried one but they seem to get a bit of love. I'm buying one in the next couple days, tone unheard, but I wanted something small, with fx, but something that sounds good, til I feel out the neighbors at my new apartment.

Cajundaddy likes 'em, and he's got some good stuff to compare it with. I can let you know in a couple days my opinion of it.
Fender Mustang/Derfenstein DST> Boss Power Wah> Pedal Monsters Klone> Bogner Uberschall> Walrus Audio Janus> Randall RM20> Line 6 M9> Randall RM20
Quote by bjgrifter
I'm in the phase of just playing around, but kinda want something that has enough power to stick with for awhile. I have never bought an amp before, and the more I mess around with my guitar, I'm not so sure I necessarily want to stick solely to rock/metal. I guess I'm looking for a possibly mythical jack-of-all trades combo amp.

I currently have a Squire Bullet Strat HSS that I'm tooling with around in Rocksmith and online instructions. I've not played in a band before, so even if 100W (what I have listed) is overkill, I would like to be able to jam with my brother who is a drummer in a local band and not be drowned out.

The amps that have my interest are the Peavy Vypyr VIP 3 (100W) and the Fender Mustang III. I like the option to use a USB connection and edit the effects. The optional footswitch/stompbox available for both has me interested as well I'm leaning toward a combo amp so I can play around with different effects while I'm still a n00b here. As of right now, I'm leaning toward the Vypyr because the used prices come up under $200.
I know both run around $300 new. I'm still researching this, and don't look to purchase until January/February 2016, so I'm not in a rush.

Jack of all trades amp? Grab a Dsl2000 combo. Effects? Grab a Line6 Pod. Use headphones or throw it in the loop. Lots of variety and fun to be had there.
Splawn Street Rod
H&K Tubemeister 5
Line 6 G90 System

Gibson SG Standard
Godin Radiator
Dillion 653 GA/3CT
Seagull Coastline s6
New Music on Spotify
If I can find it used, the DSL2000 might not be bad, but the retail of $600-700 range gets a tad steep. Not to say I'm not uninterested, but I'm not entirely sure that's going to be doable for me.

Maybe I should revise the pricing to be $300-ish or under.

I do see the Marshall MG50FX can be had in the price, so any thoughts on that one since Marshall has been brought up?
Quote by bjgrifter

I do see the Marshall MG50FX can be had in the price, so any thoughts on that one since Marshall has been brought up?

Nah, run away from it like its the plaque.

Marshall Class5 combo is probably around $350 used, so maybe that one. Only other Marshall in that price range that I know of is the Valvestate VS80-100 combos but these are nowhere as good sounding. I think there was a Haze that could fit the budget but that one was hit/miss. Most people hated it, said it only sounds good cranked at full. I thought it was too dull.

In $300 range maybe Valveking used.
What about an Egnater Rebel, if you're looking for a Marshally amp? Crunchy mid-gain growl is what the Rebel does best imo.
Fender Mustang/Derfenstein DST> Boss Power Wah> Pedal Monsters Klone> Bogner Uberschall> Walrus Audio Janus> Randall RM20> Line 6 M9> Randall RM20
I'm neutral on brand and a specific sound. It doesn't have to be Marshall, and I'm starting to test out some different models as I can. So far, I've had just a few minutes to try the Vox VT40+. Not enough to get a feel to bounce off with other amps yet.

Since tube/valve amps are in the discussion, for my info, how often do you replace them and where do you get the replacements?
Quote by bjgrifter
I'm neutral on brand and a specific sound. It doesn't have to be Marshall, and I'm starting to test out some different models as I can. So far, I've had just a few minutes to try the Vox VT40+. Not enough to get a feel to bounce off with other amps yet.

Since tube/valve amps are in the discussion, for my info, how often do you replace them and where do you get the replacements?

Its as easy as changing a light bulb and unless you're touring tubes can last for years, decades even. Most guitar shops stock 'em, Guitar Center has overpriced rebrands but they have 'em, you can get anything on the internet. Tube amps don't really require more maintenance than solid state amps, its just when a ss amp breaks most throw it away, at least far more often, so it appears that way. I don't know anyone who's spent 20 years playing on a Spider.
That's what I figured, but hey, it's better to ask then assume. Guitar Center is the main music shop around here with the selection and pricing, so that's what I'm basing my info off. I'll see if they have some ValveKing 112 around as well when I go in next.

Time to practice Breaking the Law some.