So I feel like I'm a beginner-intermediate electric guitar player. I have a Jackson Rhoads JS32.
I will let you know how I learned to play by myself. I first bought an electric guitar when I was 13 years old and never touched it till I turned 23. Thats ten years later. I had to buy a new cheap guitar because my old one's pick up selector got messed up. I had a Yamaha and now I have a Jackson. Anyways I googled and ended in U-G and youtube videos. I learned all string names and how to read a guitar tab although didn't learn the chords.

My question is, do I need to learn all the chords ? They're boring lol.

Also, After learning the string names I immediately started looking up how to learn specific songs like animals house of the rising sun and Metallica Orion.

Currently I'm trying to learn Metallica Orion but I have slow finger speed going from part to part. Any techniques recommended to learn ? videos would be great.
You should learn how chords are made and understand them. That way you can figure out the chords by yourself, there's no need to memorize them. Music theory is really useful, it may seem boring and like a waste of time, but trust me, you'll need it.

For learning ANY song: Start REALLY slow and practice with a metronome. Try to play as cleanly as possible at a slow tempo. When you start to feel comfortable, raise up the tempo of the song. But don't raise any more than 10%. Work your way to the normal speed of the song.

Also, divide the song by parts.

If you're going to play Metallica, downpicking and palm muting will be very useful techniques. This applies to most metal songs anyway. You have an internet before you, finding lessons/videos on techniques is not a difficult task.

Watch covers or watch your favorite bands playing live the song(s) you want to learn. I learned a lot from doing that, specially fretting hand and picking hand positioning.

I wouldn't start by learning Orion right off the bat... there are easier Metallica songs that you should learn first in my opinion. Stuff like For Whom the Bell Tolls, Nothing Else Matters, Enter Sandman, etc.
Last edited by DanyFS at Nov 11, 2015,
Why would you need to learn chords?Are you playing jazz?No, just figure out the two or three string powerchords for now.And if you're playing metal fuck that all together and just start working on single note tremolo picking (fast alternate picking really, i don't see what tremolo has to do with it really)lines for some lead guitar playing ala norwegian black metal.Or some shit like that, basically whatever it is that your looking to play, i only really started getting good when i started to play every day with no exceptions.Not nescessarily for long periods, maybe 15-20 min a day or 45 min on some days but that even would have dramatic effect.I had read in guitar mags that it's better to play everyday like that than it's to play for a couple hours extended every week,I NEVER BELIEVED it until i tried it and did it.Also playing all the time gives your fingers a feel for what your doing.But i used to practice around 8, 10 sometimes 16 hours a day when i started playing the first couple years just to get fast then again i believe you need to do that too to develop the nervous system, thats all necessasary.But for me guitar playing was something that was so unreachable, something i couldn't do ever, him a guitarist yeah right, so i set my sights up high.Yngwie was not so much as someone i wanted sound like but he made me want to be good.So i figured if i set my sights really high even if i fall a little short i'll still be as good as i can get whatever that is
Quote by King Shredder
Why would you need to learn chords?Are you playing jazz?No, just figure out the two or three string powerchords for now.

Even if you don't play jazz, having a basic understanding of how chords work doesn't hurt you and it can make you a better player in the long run.

Quote by King Shredder
And if you're playing metal fuck that all together and just start working on single note tremolo picking (fast alternate picking really, i don't see what tremolo has to do with it really)lines for some lead guitar playing ala norwegian black metal.

Then you don't know what tremolo actually is.
Right now you should focus on learning songs you like by bands you enjoy using tabs. For difficult passages, slow down. You can't play parts fast if you can't play them slow.

If after hours of practice theres still a part of a song you can't play yet, learn something else and go back to it later.

Regarding theory as a beginner, If you focus on learning something thats not giving you any satisfaction you'll eventually just quit playing. Focus on learning what you want to learn in the early stages, scales can't help you if you can't play anything yet.

When just learning songs gets boring(a few months to a year at least depending on the time you put in) you should start branching out and learning about scales/chords and rhythmic theory.
Last edited by rickyj at Nov 11, 2015,
Originally Posted by King Shredder

Why would you need to learn chords?

perhaps to be a musician that knows what harmony is--a chord is really several notes at rest..string several chords together and you can have some very creative lines that would be a task for the most gifted shred king..
play well

wolf
you don't have to learn chords or any theory right now in order to enjoy jamming to metallica, but when the time comes to where you feel like you still haven't really matured as a guitar player, that's the sort of stuff you need to learn.
Quote by archerygenious
Jesus Christ since when is the Pit a ****ing courtroom...

Like melodic, black, death, symphonic, and/or avant-garde metal? Want to collaborate? Message me!
Quote by DanyFS
Even if you don't play jazz, having a basic understanding of how chords work doesn't hurt you and it can make you a better player in the long run.

Then you don't know what tremolo actually is.

Thanks dude, no I actually do know what I talk and write about, I know my tremolo and vibrato.Just trying to make it easier for someone starting out.
Quote by King Shredder
Thanks dude, no I actually do know what I talk and write about, I know my tremolo and vibrato.Just trying to make it easier for someone starting out.

Making it easier is not the same as spreading misinformation.

If you wanted to make it easier, you wouldn't have said that tremolo picking has nothing to do with tremolo or you would have explained why tremolo picking is called tremolo picking.
Last edited by DanyFS at Nov 11, 2015,
Quote by King Shredder
Why would you need to learn chords?Are you playing jazz?No, just figure out the two or three string powerchords for now.

what? The players I see who try to speed around the neck with power chords are generally unbearable to listen to. Speed is pointless for a person who can't apply it to music.

And it takes a bit more than power chords and 1-2-3-4 exercises to play old Metallica stuff, or anything interesting for that matter. That stuff has virtually no application outside of jamming with your headphones.

I mean, play the stuff you enjoy and move in the musical direction you want, but getting decent at the instrument will at some point require learning things you don't already think are awesome.
Last edited by cdgraves at Nov 11, 2015,
The chords you learn are really dictated by the style off music that you're interested in. If you just like metal then you're unlikely to ever need to know how to play a G13 or G7b9. There could be a metal tune out there that uses these chords, but it would certainly be an exception rather than the norm.

One thing you really should do, if you haven't already, is learn where all the notes are on the low E & A strings. The reason being that these are the notes that the most common bar chords / power chords are built off.
Metronome and legato.

Start slow and work up the bpm as your fingers get it down. I did and boy this helps a lot!

Once you done legato do picking the same way and you will find it so much easier as your fingers can now follow.