Hello there! I'm a self tought guitar player and i feel like my current guitar doesn't let me "grow" more. I have an esp ltd m10 ,just a standard starters guitar imo,tuned on drop D. If you are wondering why drop D,i was mostly playing songs in that tune so i just tuned it to drop D. But times have changed, the songs i listen to are various and i need something new to keep me motivated i guess. So any suggestions on a new guitar? My budget is 400e/420$. Yes i really do wanna invest in a new guitar! Of course 200e/$ guitars are welcome,just suggest any guitar you feel it would be good for me by the info i gave you! I mostly listen to Rock,Alternative,Heavy Metal etc.
Is there any more info you can give us? Favourite artists, pickup configuration, favourite body shapes, favourite type of neck, new or used?

Also, which amp do you have? If your amp isn't very good, I would suggest getting a new amp first...
Favourite artists.. Big question! To be honest my favourite solo artist has to be Avril Lavigne? I don't know,it's the frist name that pops up :P My favourite band has to be Paramore among others but i listen to pretty much every Rock,Heavy Metal band. Final answer,i don't have a favourite one! I love every single band/solo artist that i listen to. I just listen to what i can play on guitar so no worries on that one! I don't know a lot about pickup configuration ,that's what i am hoping this new guitar will bring to me. More motivation to learn new things! Now body shapes,another difficult question! I am not a huge fan of the stratocaster body. I do love the alternative shapes,such the one of a Jazzmaster. For my favourite type of neck i think i'll go with maple and yes i'd love a new guitar. Yeah my amp sucks bigtime. Probably. It's that 10w amp from the esp ltd m-10 pack. I've been playing now for 7 years,5.5 of them on acoustic. So,like i said before,with this new guitar i hope i'll get some more motivation to learn stuff that i should have known earlier! I've never gone to a guitar teacher ,not even once,so i just went all in and started playing. I just now realise that there is way much more on it.
Well, getting a new amp will give you way more motivation.

You see, if you buy a 1000 dollars guitar and plug it into your 10w amp... it's gonna sound like total shit.

However, if you put your LTD M-10 through a very good amp, it will sound very good.

I don't know about you, but a good tone motivates me much more to play guitar. Yeah, it's nice to have THAT guitar, but a good amp should be a priority. THAT guitar with a shitty amp is worthless.

You still sure you want a new guitar? Maybe if you stretch your budget a little, you can get a nice guitar and amp, provided you go used. Also depends on your location, some countries have a pretty bad used gear market.

If you have a local music store near you, I recommend you to go to it and try out as many guitars as possible to see which one fits you best.
Last edited by DanyFS at Nov 11, 2015,
Also ,about the pick configuration, i like more Humbuckers but only in the visual way. I have no clue how they sound ,but i did play once a guitar with Humbuckers on it and i loved it!
What amp do you currently have? Location? New or used?

These questions will guide us better in recommending gear for you.
Gibson LP traditional and DC standard, PRS S2 Custom 24, MIA Standard Strat, Charvel So Cal Pro Mod, Schecter Banshee 7
EVH 5153, Mesa DR Tremoverb combo 2-2x12's
Line 6 M13
Yeah that's what i was going to say right about now. My budget is flexible enough to get a new amp aswell,i am not rushing things,if i find a combination that i believe is worth my money then i might aswell save for a few more months instead of buying something i am not sure of. The used market here.. well it practically doesn't exist. There are these site of course with 2nd hand guitars or amps but the prices are either way up for a used amp/guitar or way too low and that makes me suspicious. E.g. my friend bought a 100$ electric guitar. Just a normal starter's guitar which i believe is great. That happened 7 years ago,the guitar is damaged but not in the point were it cannot play. She wants to sell it for 100$. I wouldn't buy it for 100$ ,not even by chance. So i don't really trust 2nd hand things.
But what do you suggest? Just throw couple of names on the reply section,don't be shy!
Quote by bobafettacheese
What amp do you currently have? Location? New or used?

These questions will guide us better in recommending gear for you.

I have that really bad 10w amp from the esp ltd m10 package so the budget is stretchable for a new amp aswell! I live in Greece and i am looking for a new guitar. For an amp i probably can find a used one in a good condition but i'd rather buy a new one.
Quote by DanyFS
Well, getting a new amp will give you way more motivation.

You see, if you buy a 1000 dollars guitar and plug it into your 10w amp... it's gonna sound like total shit.

However, if you put your LTD M-10 through a very good amp, it will sound very good.

I don't know about you, but a good tone motivates me much more to play guitar. Yeah, it's nice to have THAT guitar, but a good amp should be a priority. THAT guitar with a shitty amp is worthless.

You still sure you want a new guitar? Maybe if you stretch your budget a little, you can get a nice guitar and amp, provided you go used. Also depends on your location, some countries have a pretty bad used gear market.

If you have a local music store near you, I recommend you to go to it and try out as many guitars as possible to see which one fits you best.

I doubt an entry level guitar would sound good through any amp. A decent guitar is never worthless by the way even if you don't even own an amp. Many pros tour with their guitars and use whatever amps they can rent or have supplied at gigs. Why? Because guitars are personal, they are the instrument, the amp is not unless you're Jimmy Hendrix.
That being said your advice on maybe getting both is good.

OP there's nothing wrong with a used amp anymore than there is with a used guitar. You'll likely get an amp for closer to 1/2 price what was new and there's a big difference between a new $300 amp and $600 amp more so than there is between a 300 guitar and 600 guitar.
Moving on.....
Quote by KenG
I doubt an entry level guitar would sound good through any amp. A decent guitar is never worthless by the way even if you don't even own an amp. Many pros tour with their guitars and use whatever amps they can rent or have supplied at gigs. Why? Because guitars are personal, they are the instrument, the amp is not unless you're Jimmy Hendrix.
That being said your advice on maybe getting both is good.

It wouldn't sound like a guitar made with high end components and good pickups obviously, but it would sound at least decent.

That is true, but the amps supplied at gigs aren't 10w solid state amps. Yeah, they may not be the best tube amps around either, but they are at least decent.

But yeah, I can see your point on how the guitar is important because it is a personal thing. It's just that if I had to choose between a) Keeping my entry level guitar and upgrade to a 400 dollars tube amp or b) Buying a mid to high end guitar and keep my 10w practice amp, I would obviously go with a).

Of course, situation c) Wait a couple more months to save more money and get a good guitar and a good amp, would be the best as it was mentioned
Last edited by DanyFS at Nov 11, 2015,
Don't listen to any of these clowns.Get a Dean ML whatever pricerange you can now because trust me it's good.Right now it's the guitar to buy.I have a 2014 MLX i bought for 222 euros flawless, build quality matches almost any guitar
Your LTD is a decent enough instrument to work with for a while longer. The beginner LTD guitars are actually pretty nice given their price point and the market they are intended for.

You would benefit greatly from a nicer amp. I would strongly suggest looking for a nice digital modeling amp or a small tube combo of some sort. My recommendation would be a Jet City JCA2212 which can be found for around 400 through Thomann.

Your guitar can get you by for a while longer. That practice amp on the other hand, is just ruining your playing experience.
Gear: Gibson Les Paul Studio, Gibson SG Special, Fender Stratocaster, Fender Telecaster, Fender Jazzmaster, Gretsch Pro Jet, Carvin C350, Epiphone ES-339 P90, Epiphone ES-335 Pro. Peavey 6505, Sovtek MIG-100, Vox AC30, Peavey XXX.
I agree with those saying that it's better to get a new amp, and considering you don't have a favourite artist, you might want to go for a modeling amp
As it seems i'll just save more but my m-10 is tuned in drop D right now and i really don't wanna change that. That's one of the reasons i want a new guitar aswell. I can always just go for another starter's guitar,like a classic fender stratocaster or any other starter's guitar for that matter but i think that i should get something better than just a starter's guitar. Keep the conversation going,you guys are awesome!
Quote by xritzi94
As it seems i'll just save more but my m-10 is tuned in drop D right now and i really don't wanna change that. That's one of the reasons i want a new guitar aswell. I can always just go for another starter's guitar,like a classic fender stratocaster or any other starter's guitar for that matter but i think that i should get something better than just a starter's guitar. Keep the conversation going,you guys are awesome!

If it doesn't has a floating bridge, it should be fine to change tunings, but obviously the intonation would be off and it would need a setup again, so I can see why you would want a new guitar.

I wouldn't recommend buying another starter's guitar. A Fender Stratocaster IS NOT a starter's guitar at all. You probably meant Squier or some other cheap Fender Strat copy. Fenders are mid to high end instruments.
Quote by DanyFS
If it doesn't has a floating bridge, it should be fine to change tunings, but obviously the intonation would be off and it would need a setup again, so I can see why you would want a new guitar.

I wouldn't recommend buying another starter's guitar. A Fender Stratocaster IS NOT a starter's guitar at all. You probably meant Squier or some other cheap Fender Strat copy. Fenders are mid to high end instruments.

Υes,sorry for the mistake ,i meant a Squier! Maybe a Telecaster would be nice
Quote by xritzi94
Υes,sorry for the mistake ,i meant a Squier! Maybe a Telecaster would be nice

No need to be sorry man!

Provived you like their sound, there's no reason not to get one. I don't like them personally, but they are certainly unique