OK I am such a beginner. Just a disclaimer first, I read the stickies, I searched as best I could so if I'm posting in the wrong place or I am being redundant my apologies.

So I have a little home studio set-up, not so much for recording but more to help me learn. I use it to watch training videos, play along with or sometimes record myself and then see how I'm doing.

My issue is I don't seem to have enough volume, sometimes when I play my acoustic I can't really hear the backing tracks from my computer very well over my playing. So I am looking for the cheapest way to increase my volume.

Here is my set-up.

Computer: Mac 2.7ghx 8mb ram
Audio Interface: M-Audio M-Track
Monitors: Alesis M1Active 320USB
DAW: Garage Band (when I use one)

My guess is I need to upgrade my studio monitors but I thought maybe some kind of booster or pre-amp might be cheaper. I am not looking for recording or performance quality sound it is strictly for home practice.

Thanks
If the monitors are connected to your computer via USB then connect them to the audio interface.
If they're connected to the audio interface try the opposite.

If none of these work, you need a new pair of monitors.
If you want cheap a pair of JBL LSR305 will do just fine.
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
I don't know anything about this topic, but I just clicked on this thread because of your username :O
Quote by Cajundaddy
Clue: amplifiers amplify so don't turn it on if you need quiet.
Quote by chrismendiola
I guess spambots are now capable of reading minds.
Alesis M1 should be plenty loud so recheck your connections and make sure they are selected in the sound output for your Mac. When in doubt, RTFM
"Your sound is in your hands as much as anything. It's the way you pick, and the way you hold the guitar, more than it is the amp or the guitar you use." -- Stevie Ray Vaughan

"Anybody can play. The note is only 20 percent. The attitude of the motherfucker who plays it is 80 percent." -- Miles Davis

Guthrie on tone: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zmohdG9lLqY
Alesis M1Active 320USB at 20 watts stereo RMS that's where your low volume problem is

I have a pair of Yamaha HS5 which is 45 watts with a 5' speakers and yeah if i was on acoustic and singing loud I would need more volume for sure.

I got a pair of cheap ikey Speakers at 1/3 the price of the Yamaha's and was amazing how good there were, 8' speaker 100 watts and the sound is alittle off the Yamaha sure,. But when i need more volume I bring up the volume and they sound great ( and saves my Yamaha's )
Last edited by T4D at Nov 12, 2015,