There's a difference?

EDIT: So there is. I can't see it but apparently Fender calls them different colors.
Gibson RD Silverburst w/ Lace Dissonant Aggressors (SOLD)
Electra Omega Prime Ceruse
Fender Franken-Jag Bass

Amps and the like:
Laney VH100R
Seismic Luke 2x12
Dunlop 105Q Wah
Gojira FX 808
Line 6 M9
Last edited by TheStig1214 at Nov 11, 2015,
Well it does look more like surf green to me, but between the ageing of nitro finishes (I'm not exactly sure how much this impacts Fender's flash coat, but I assume that nitro-over-poly has at least some of the problems of nitro alone), the lighting (blonde and candy apple red, for example, photograph really badly except on the best of days) and the variation in what the original names meant since when custom colours first came in (I think) Fender were still on automotive finishes, there's plenty of potential for meanings to vary. Sonic blue varies a huge amount in intensity too, and "vintage tint" neck finishes can be anything from amber to green-ish. The variation within a colour name often exceeds that between the arbitrarily chosen labels.
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
Youre officially uber shit now.

Quote by StewieSwan
3d9310rd is far more upset than i 

Quote by Bladez22
I'm a moron tho apparently and everyone should listen to you oh wise pretentious one
Looks like seafoam to me, this is my surf green strat

only a squier strat but it was listed and sold to me at the shop as the surf green model, they also had the seafoam green model there for comparison.
"Rock'n'Roll, music for the neck downwards"
Last edited by LifeEchoes at Nov 11, 2015,
Quote by LifeEchoes
Looks like seafoam to me, this is my surf green strat

only a squier strat but it was listed and sold to me at the shop as the surf green model, they also had the seafoam green model there for comparison.

Thanks a lot. When you saw the two side by side, what were the noticable differences? Was one darker then the other?
If you can't tell the difference, why does the difference matter to you?
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
I don't know if darker is the right way to describe it, the seafoam green was just a tad more eye-popping and vibrant. surf green is like if you take a little bit of color saturation out of seafoam green but they are both look just as bright sitting in a stand.
Quote by dannyalcatraz
If you can't tell the difference, why does the difference matter to you?

i can tell the difference, the problem is the confusion with the names. What says seafoam green sometimes looks like what others describe as surf green. I can't decide which color(name) that i like. All i know is that i like the color on this strat that i posted the link to. But from previous research, i thought that was surf green, but the description says seafoam...
Quote by GuitarNewbee
i can tell the difference, the problem is the confusion with the names. What says seafoam green sometimes looks like what others describe as surf green. I can't decide which color(name) that i like. All i know is that i like the color on this strat that i posted the link to. But from previous research, i thought that was surf green, but the description says seafoam...

I chose the surf green model because it was almost like if the seafoam green model had faded a tad with age, and was thus less colorful in a sense but seemed more vintage and worked better with the classic strat shape in mind when I bought it.

Truthfully, if I had a friend who owned both shades of the strat I could probably point out which was which, but the majority of people can't especially from a distance so it doesn't matter all that much.
It's definitely a subtle difference, but I can certainly see at first glance on fender's color chart that sea foam is just barely darker than surf. I'd say, if you like the color of the one you see, get it and don't worry about what it's called.
Guitars
Schecter Hellraiser C-1FR, C-1 Classic, Hellraiser Hybrid Solo-II, Special Edition E-1FR-S
Orange Rockerverb 50 212
Basses
Yamaha RBX374 and Washburn MB-6
Honestly, the only time you'll really be able to tell is if they're side-by-side in person. Colors aren't always consistent and age sometimes changes the appearance. A darker surf green can look a lot like a lighter seafoam green. Plus, a picture can easily make one look like another. And some companies like Carvin don't even use Fender's classification. Their surf green is darker than their seafoam green.
That's definitely seafoam green. Surf green is typically much lighter than that. There's a lot of variance in both of those colors, especially with older and nitro finished guitars. But surf green is usually less saturated and vibrant than seafoam green (at least on an actual Fender).

Here is my ’57 Reissue Strat in surf green. I added a 3-ply pickguard and straplocks but other than that it’s all stock. You can see how much lighter the color is.

Current Gear:
2002 Gibson Les Paul Standard
'57 AVRI Fender Stratocaster
MIJ Fender Jaguar Special HH
Marshall JVM410
Vox AC15 C2
Quote by the_bi99man
It's definitely a subtle difference, but I can certainly see at first glance on fender's color chart that sea foam is just barely darker than surf. I'd say, if you like the color of the one you see, get it and don't worry about what it's called.

I don't plan on buying this guitar. I'm just wondering the color because I'm building my own warmofh and want to know what color that iss so that I can use that
Quote by GuitarNewbee
I don't plan on buying this guitar. I'm just wondering the color because I'm building my own warmofh and want to know what color that iss so that I can use that

Warmoth has colour samples on their designer tool, so you could just choose which is more similar. I'm pretty sure they have both seafoam and surf green.
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
Youre officially uber shit now.

Quote by StewieSwan
3d9310rd is far more upset than i 

Quote by Bladez22
I'm a moron tho apparently and everyone should listen to you oh wise pretentious one
Quote by K33nbl4d3
Warmoth has colour samples on their designer tool, so you could just choose which is more similar. I'm pretty sure they have both seafoam and surf green.

yeah but the pics arent accurate
Quote by 57Goldtop
That's definitely seafoam green. Surf green is typically much lighter than that. There's a lot of variance in both of those colors, especially with older and nitro finished guitars. But surf green is usually less saturated and vibrant than seafoam green (at least on an actual Fender).

Here is my ’57 Reissue Strat in surf green. I added a 3-ply pickguard and straplocks but other than that it’s all stock. You can see how much lighter the color is.

what type of jaguar is that? its beautiful!
Quote by GuitarNewbee
what type of jaguar is that? its beautiful!

Thanks It's a MIJ Jaguar Special HH but it has aftermarket pickups, wiring, pots, caps, knobs and pickguard. I just picked it up but it's already one of my favorites. I had some issues with the pickups when I first got it. The previous owner put some in that weren't bad but I was looking for something different. I put in a JB/Jazz set but it didn't sound right in that guitar. So I gutted all the wiring, pots, caps, and pickups and redid everything myself. It has a set of GFS Mean 90's in it now (humbucker sized P-90s) and it sounds awesome. GFS pickups might be cheap but they're a great deal, and they come to life with a good set of pots and caps.
Current Gear:
Marshall JVM410
Vox AC15 C2
Last edited by 57Goldtop at Nov 13, 2015,
Quote by 57Goldtop
Thanks It's a MIJ Jaguar Special HH but it has aftermarket pickups, wiring, pots, caps, knobs and pickguard. I just picked it up but it's already one of my favorites. I had some issues with the pickups when I first got it. The previous owner put some in that weren't bad but I was looking for something different. I put in a JB/Jazz set but it didn't sound right in that guitar. So I gutted all the wiring, pots, caps, and pickups and redid everything myself. It has a set of GFS Mean 90's in it now (humbucker sized P-90s) and it sounds awesome. GFS pickups might be cheap but they're a great deal, and they come to life with a good set of pots and caps.

That thing is beautiful man, congrats. How much did you pay? I was also thinking about jaguars as well but seeing as fender doesn't have a standard and you have to decide if you want to pay 300 or damn near 2k, I was thinking about building a warmoth one. Didn't know there was any Japanese jaguars.
Thanks! I picked it up with some other stuff as part of a trade, but it should be worth somewhere between $500 - $600. I love Fender's MIJ stuff. Great attention to detail. If you replace the electronics you have a guitar that will go head to head with any standard MIA Fender (excluding custom shop stuff).
Current Gear:
Marshall JVM410
Vox AC15 C2