Page 1 of 2
Today I went the whole day not realizing it was Vet's Day and I didn't acknowledge a single veteran that walked into my work until I finally realized what day it is. Then, on the drive home I had the radio on some talk show and the host said one of the worst things you can do on veteran's day is not acknowledge and remember veterans

So I'm making up for it by creating a proper thread. Happy Vet's Day, guys. This goes for all the world's soldiers, too. What you do is simply amazing and I know I could never do what you have done and what you continue to do for goodness in the world.

Share stories, reminisce, show off your military expertise and training, and please... acknowledge these men and women!

Quote by Overlord
It's not hard to be nice, but it's nice to be hard
I get that this thread has good intentions, but it was veteran's day nearly 2 hours ago. Bit late to the party, pally.
Roses are red
Violets are blue
Omae wa mou
Shindeiru

Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
It's Veteran's Day somewhere in the US for the next 7 hours

Happy You Day to our resident veterans
Quote by Trowzaa
I wish I was American.

~ A Rolling Potato Gathers No Moss ~
I don't know if I'd extend that to all the world's soldiers.

Happy Veteran's Day to the good guys tho.
Quote by jakesmellspoo
ooh look at me i'm ERIKLENSHERR and i work at fancy pants desk jobs and wear ties and ply barely legal girls with weed and booze i'm such a classy motherfucker.
Shout out to the vets.

https://www.whitehouse.gov/the-press-office/2015/11/05/presidential-proclamation-veterans-day-2015

VETERANS DAY, 2015

- - - - - - -

BY THE PRESIDENT OF THE UNITED STATES OF AMERICA

A PROCLAMATION

The United States military is the strongest, most capable fighting force the world has ever known. The brave men and women of our Army, Navy, Air Force, Marine Corps, and Coast Guard demonstrate a resolute spirit and unmatched selflessness, and their service reminds us there are few things more American than giving of ourselves to make a difference in the lives of others. On Veterans Day, we reflect on the immeasurable burdens borne by so few in the name of so many, and we rededicate ourselves to supporting those who have worn America's uniform and the families who stand alongside them.

Our true strength as a Nation is measured by how we take care of our veterans when they return home, and my Administration is committed to ensuring our heroes and their loved ones have every chance to share in the promise they risked their lives to defend. We have made it easier for veterans to convert their military skills to the civilian workforce, enabled more veterans and their family members to attain Federal education benefits, and expanded access to timely, quality health care for all veterans. Just as every veteran deserves the support and benefits they have earned, those who have given everything to defend our homeland deserve a place of their own to call home. To uphold this ideal, First Lady Michelle Obama and Dr. Jill Biden's Joining Forces initiative has forged partnerships with local leaders across America to uphold the dignity of every veteran and work to end veterans' homelessness. No one who fights for our country should have to fight for the care they deserve. Earlier this year, I was proud to sign the Clay Hunt Suicide Prevention for American Veterans Act, which fills critical gaps in mental health care by raising awareness and taking steps to improve access to care for those suffering from the invisible wounds of war.

Our veterans left everything they knew and loved and served with exemplary dedication and courage so we could all know a safer America and a more just world. They have been tested in ways the rest of us may never fully understand, and it is our duty to fulfill our sacred obligation to our veterans and their families. On Veterans Day, and every day, let us show them the extraordinary gratitude they so rightly deserve, and let us recommit to pledging our full support for them in all they do.

With respect for, and in recognition of, the contributions our service members have made to the cause of peace and freedom around the world, the Congress has provided (5 U.S.C. 6103(a)) that November 11 of each year shall be set aside as a legal public holiday to honor our Nation's veterans.

NOW, THEREFORE, I, BARACK OBAMA, President of the United States of America, do hereby proclaim November 11, 2015, as Veterans Day. I encourage all Americans to recognize the valor and sacrifice of our veterans through appropriate public ceremonies and private prayers. I call upon Federal, State, and local officials to display the flag of the United States and to participate in patriotic activities in their communities. I call on all Americans, including civic and fraternal organizations, places of worship, schools, and communities to support this day with commemorative expressions and programs.

IN WITNESS WHEREOF, I have hereunto set my hand this fifth day of November, in the year of our Lord two thousand fifteen, and of the Independence of the United States of America the two hundred and fortieth.
Quote by ErikLensherr

Happy Veteran's Day to the good guys tho.

For real
Yes, let's have a day to celebrate millions of deaths.
Quote by Diemon Dave
Don't go ninjerin nobody don't need ninjerin'
Quote by Carnivean
This goes for all the world's soldiers, too. What you do is simply amazing and I know I could never do what you have done and what you continue to do for goodness in the world.

Yeah God bless the Waffen SS right?

Anyway this thread is cringey as fuck.
Quote by ErikLensherr

As a veteran myself, I would. The soldiers fighting on any side in a conflict were, in the main, good honorable people doing a crappy job that they felt it was necessary to do. A soldier's duty, honor and sacrifice are not lessened because they ended up on the losing/"wrong" end of a conflict.
“Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge.”
Charles Darwin
My grandfather some time in 1941. hes sitting in front of the tank he was the commander of, called the Holy Roller since he was a reverend lol. I miss him a lot but much more on Veteran's/Remembrance Day

Quote by yellowfrizbee
What does a girl have to do to get it in the butt thats all I ever wanted from you. Why, Ace? Why? I clean my asshole every night hoping and wishing and it never happens.
Bitches be Crazy.

▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ஜ۩۩ஜ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
Quote by slapsymcdougal
Yes, let's have a day to celebrate millions of deaths.

Quote by DardySon
Yeah God bless the Waffen SS right?

Anyway this thread is cringey as fuck.

There are bad guys and good guys in this world, and you want to mock and take away the ONE day dedicated to acknowledge and thank the good guys. Are you like, goths or something? You wear all black, and you prefer the darkness over light? You worship evil deities and paint your finger nails black? Cuz that's the only fucking conclusion I can come to about your responses.
Quote by Overlord
Last edited by Carnivean at Nov 12, 2015,
Quote by Arby911 at #33678825
As a veteran myself, I would. The soldiers fighting on any side in a conflict were, in the main, good honorable people doing a crappy job that they felt it was necessary to do. A soldier's duty, honor and sacrifice are not lessened because they ended up on the losing/"wrong" end of a conflict.

So you'd wish ISIS a happy Veteran's Day.
Quote by jakesmellspoo
ooh look at me i'm ERIKLENSHERR and i work at fancy pants desk jobs and wear ties and ply barely legal girls with weed and booze i'm such a classy motherfucker.
Quote by ErikLensherr
So you'd wish ISIS a happy Veteran's Day.

I wouldn't wish anyone a "happy" veteran's day, and when I posted that I knew some knobhead would come in with something like this, and viola! here you are.

First, in the modern era if one of your your primary "weapons" is the murder of women and children, you're not a soldier, you're just a terrorist. (And yes, before any of you whiny bitches feel the need to say it, the US has in the past engaged in this. It was wrong then and it's wrong now.)

But for the common footsoldier that believes that they are fighting for a just cause, absolutely. The fact that their beliefs have put them in direct conflict with me and mine doesn't minimize their sacrifice or dedication.
Charles Darwin
Aight just checking.
Quote by jakesmellspoo
Quote by Carnivean
There are bad guys and good guys in this world, and you want to mock and take away the ONE day dedicated to acknowledge and thank the good guys. Are you like, goths or something? You wear all black, and you prefer the darkness over light? You worship evil deities and paint your finger nails black? Cuz that's the only fucking conclusion I can come to about your responses.

Shut up, cunt.
Quote by Diemon Dave
Quote by Carnivean

I used to use permanent marker cos I was always too masculine to use actual make up.

EDIT: Anyway my Great grandfather died at the Battle of the Somme in WW1 (he was British) and my Grandmother was a Wren in the WW2 my grandfather served in Eqypt. Still doesn't make my view of this thread less cringey than what it is.
Last edited by DardySon at Nov 12, 2015,
Quote by slapsymcdougal
Shut up, cunt.

Nothing better than a response like this to confirm deep down you know I'm fucking right. Go fuck yourself too cunt
Quote by Overlord
Quote by DardySon
Still doesn't make my view of this thread less cringey than what it is.

So your primary purpose in posting in this thread was to make sure everyone knew you didn't like this thread?

Well done.....
Charles Darwin
Quote by Arby911
So your primary purpose in posting in this thread was to make sure everyone knew you didn't like this thread?

Well done.....

Basically. It reeks of American Patriotism insofar as only an American would make a thread like this.
He won't say what he actually means, which is "still doesn't make my view of Veteran's Day less cringey than what it is". Has nothing to do with the thread itself, or else he would have already cleared up that misconception.

Edit: just change every time he uses "thread" to "Veteran's Day" and you'll uncover the real message
Quote by Overlord
Quote by DardySon at #33679008
Basically. It reeks of American Patriotism insofar as only an American would make a thread like this.

OP is a little cloying but I think that's mostly Carnivean.
Quote by jakesmellspoo
Can you just sense the disdain he has for America? "Only an American would make a thread like this". By the way this was probably the most UNpatriotic Veterans Day post ever made. I didn't even include the world America, nor a flag, nor a patriotic picture. I even said "that goes for all soldiers around the world". But apparently to him it just reeks of patriotism for... America *shudders*
Quote by Overlord
Quote by Carnivean
He won't say what he actually means, which is "still doesn't make my view of Veteran's Day less cringey than what it is". Has nothing to do with the thread itself, or else he would have already cleared up that misconception.

Edit: just change every time he uses "thread" to "Veteran's Day" and you'll uncover the real message

Actually, the issue is with your thread. In civilised nations, we call the 11th day of the 11th month Remembrance Day. It's not a gift-giving happy day.

For me, it's a day to think about my great great uncle John, a plasterer and talented football player. He broke both bones in his lower leg and was exposed to mustard gas at Ypres, and spent the remainder of his life bedridden. It's a day to think about why my grandfather never talked about what he did in the war(spoiler alert - thanks to the internet, I know he never talked about it because he fought in the 4th battle of Monte Cassino, where his battalion took 50% casualties). I think about his cousin, George, who was killed in the French town of St Nazaire in 1942. Or his wife-to-be's cousin, who drowned in the North Atlantic after his ship was sunk by a U-boat.

Whatever else I do, I won't ever wish anyone a happy veteran's day. It's full-on jingoistic bullshit.
Quote by Diemon Dave
Veteran's day is not meant to celebrate that people are dying for the sake of them dying and the fact that you are forcing yourself to lean on the argument that I made the thread for that purpose is pitiful. You know exactly what this thread is meant for, and if you still don't then you're so fucking stupid I wanna cry knowing that there is someone that stupid who may or may not breed as stupid or stupider people than you. I don't like war, no one should like war. Fuck war.

But I will celebrate and commemorate the fact that there are some people who are willing to sacrifice themselves for others when there are bad, angry and psychotic people who decide they want to hurt you and me. I want to throw a fucking party knowing that these humans stand in harms way for us.
Quote by Overlord
Quote by Carnivean
Veteran's day is not meant to celebrate that people are dying for the sake of them dying and the fact that you are forcing yourself to lean on the argument that I made the thread for that purpose is pitiful. You know exactly what this thread is meant for, and if you still don't then you're so fucking stupid I wanna cry knowing that there is someone that stupid who may or may not breed as stupid or stupider people than you. I don't like war, no one should like war. Fuck war.

But I will celebrate and commemorate the fact that there are some people who are willing to sacrifice themselves for others when there are bad, angry and psychotic people who decide they want to hurt you and me.

Fucktard.
Quote by Diemon Dave
Quote by Carnivean

The fuck are you on about mate?

I'll gladly state that I'm proud of my my ancestors and that my ancestors did more in both world wars than what the Americans and Australians (even much to the Aussie's ire.) did
nothing has changed here in my absence
Quote by jrcsgtpeppers

If women can be annoyed there arent any women incongress I should be allowed to be pissed off there are no members of pink floyd or the beatles in congress.
Quote by slapsymcdougal
Fucktard.

Are you just looking at two instances of the world "celebrate" and going "DURR THERE IS TWO CELEBRATES AND AND AND... AND HE MUS' BE CELEBRATIN'!"
Quote by Overlord
Quote by slapsymcdougal
Actually, the issue is with your thread. In civilised nations, we call the 11th day of the 11th month Remembrance Day.

TBF, I'm fairly certain that we have this, also. It's called Memorial Day.
Free Ali
Free Lard
Quote by Carnivean
Are you just looking at two instances of the world "celebrate" and going "DURR THERE IS TWO CELEBRATES AND AND AND... AND HE MUS' BE CELEBRATIN'!"

You also used the word 'commemorate' after the second bolded passage. Therefore you were either being tautologous, in which case I was correct and you are a fucktard, or you were using it the same way in both instances and, well, I've already covered that.
Quote by Diemon Dave
Quote by slapsymcdougal
You also used the word 'commemorate' after the second bolded passage. Therefore you were either being tautologous, in which case I was correct and you are a fucktard, or you were using it the same way in both instances and, well, I've already covered that.

I'm so glad that you're not stuck on semantics. At least you've got that going for you.
Quote by Overlord
Quote by Carnivean
I'm so glad that you're not stuck on semantics. At least you've got that going for you.

It's more than you've got.
Quote by Diemon Dave
Quote by slapsymcdougal
Actually, the issue is with your thread. In civilised nations, we call the 11th day of the 11th month Remembrance Day. It's not a gift-giving happy day.

For me, it's a day to think about my great great uncle John, a plasterer and talented football player. He broke both bones in his lower leg and was exposed to mustard gas at Ypres, and spent the remainder of his life bedridden. It's a day to think about why my grandfather never talked about what he did in the war(spoiler alert - thanks to the internet, I know he never talked about it because he fought in the 4th battle of Monte Cassino, where his battalion took 50% casualties). I think about his cousin, George, who was killed in the French town of St Nazaire in 1942. Or his wife-to-be's cousin, who drowned in the North Atlantic after his ship was sunk by a U-boat.

Whatever else I do, I won't ever wish anyone a happy veteran's day. It's full-on jingoistic bullshit.

Nor is it here, although I suspect you already know that and still chose to engage in some semantic arson.

We have 2 holidays with a similar theme where you seemingly only have the one. We have Memorial Day, where we remember those who died in wars past, and Veterans Day, where we give thanks for those who sacrificed or were willing to sacrifice anything up to and including their lives in support of the nation.

I don't believe "Happy" is an appropriate adjective to apply to either one, but it's become increasingly common on Veteran's day to hear "Happy Veteran's Day", usually tendered as an expression of thanks, and certainly no offense is intended, nor should any be taken.
Charles Darwin
Welp this thread has turned out exactly how I didn't want it to. But fuck if I'm going to see people mock this thing and not speak out against it.
Quote by Overlord
Quote by Arby911
Nor is it here, although I suspect you already know that and still chose to engage in some semantic arson.

We have 2 holidays with a similar theme where you seemingly only have the one. We have Memorial Day, where we remember those who died in wars past, and Veterans Day, where we give thanks for those who sacrificed or were willing to sacrifice anything up to and including their lives in support of the nation.

I don't believe "Happy" is an appropriate adjective to apply to either one, but it's become increasingly common on Veteran's day to hear "Happy Veteran's Day", usually tendered as an expression of thanks, and certainly no offense is intended, nor should any be taken.

Check user title.
Quote by Diemon Dave
Anyone that has a problem with vets day is a fucking idiot, show some goddamn respect.
Quote by Nelsean
Lil B, the young based god, has the ability to create music so profound, that others around him cannot even comprehend his magnificent verbal progressive nature.

Quote by The_Blode
^ oh hey y'all females...welcome !
Quote by slapsymcdougal
Check user title.

I'm glad you've found a way to amuse yourself, even if it seems infantile to me even by pit standards.

Carry on.
Charles Darwin
Quote by Carnivean
Welp this thread has turned out exactly how I didn't want it to. But fuck if I'm going to see people mock this thing and not speak out against it.

Willkommen in "the Pit" Schlampe.

But nah more to the point. Go fuck yourself hey
Page 1 of 2