Hey there fellow guitarists and producers,

I have recorded a track in Drop C and have a lot of palm muted open string shredding going on (on the lowest C string).
In the dry input you can clearly hear every hit on the string when i play sixteenths at 200bpm since I've tried hard to get it very tight but once i reamp it the clarity gets lost a lot. You can hear that the low C note is being played but its all muddy.

How can I get rid of that? I really want to hear every sixteenth hit on the string clearly.

I thought maybe a compressor before the actual amp would do the trick since it would raise the input signal of those sixteenths since their volume is much lower compared to any other note I've played but I didn't manage to get what I wanted.

Also I tried experimenting with lower gain as I thought hi gain would create that mud in the first place but it didn't really change anything either.

Maybe it's some frequencies that really define the hit of the string?
Hope you can help.

Thanks in advance!
did you try lower gain with double or triple tracking the part(as in 2 or 3 unique takes in tandem with eachother)?
What are you re-amping to? Are you just using a vst amp and cab sim? Or are you reamping to a guitar amp thats micd up? I dont have really any experience with reamping; i usually just record my guitar amp without a dry signal, or only a dry signal and process it.

Also, are you having trouble hearing guitar clarity even with the guitar solo'd in your mix, or is it only unclear when you have drums and bass playing all together?

But yea, depending on your chain, there are a few possibilities for what could be causing you problems.

A few general tips you can try for starters (assuming you are reamping with a real guitar amp):

-Forget compression or any other processing on your dry track for now. Everything dry, you should be able to get a clear signal more or less from your amp
-Check your amp settings. Make sure you arent scooping your mids out too much. I find that i need to scoop them a bit to get my guitars sitting and sounding nice in a mix, but if you overdo it then they will be mushy.
-what are you using for equipment? (Guitar amp, interface and microphone). Check your mic positioning on your cabinet. A combination of poor eq settings, a scooped cab (something like g12 t-75 speakers say), and a poorly placed mic can very easily kill all of your clarity and leave you with mud
-using lower gain should very easily give you clarity and it will still sound good when you double track; however, you should be able to use a reasonable amount of gain before it really becomes a problem
-again, regarding your mix; if this is a problem where ypu cant hear your guitar's attack in your mix then it could be an issue where you arent providing the right sonic space for your guitars (probably somewhere between 800hz-3500hz). In my experience, cymbals/drum overheads are a usual suspect for burying guitars (its much less a problem when mixing than when playing live, ive found)

Report back with more info and maybe provide a clip. Good luck
Quote by suckmahnuts
Watterboy, I love you.

Quote by davrossss
You are now my favourite person on UG.....You write cool shit.

Quote by wannabestoner69

Thank you very much for answering, my friends!

Sorry for the lack of information I had provided.

My recording setup looks like this:

I have a charvel guitar connected to a Line6 UX1 POD connected to the PC via USB. The signal I record is DRY. Then I use either Line6 POD Farm 2, Guitar Rig5 or other Free Plugins to generate the sound within Cubase 8 Pro.

I double track all my rhythm guitars (Quad tracking is too much I feel) especially since the tempo of this song is very high (200bpm) and it's very hard to get sixteenths tight on 2 guitars already.
I solo track and center all my lead guitars and the bass.

I currently have no equalizers applied. I know a lot of the magic happens through them but I'm not sure that this very problem (the loss of clarity in the sixteenths) can be fixed by simple EQing.

I have attached a zip File with some clips of dry input, solo with amp and total mix.

mix.zip

Thanks a lot for your time!
After taking a listen, I'd say a few things:

1) Play tighter or edit the hell out of the guitar tracks, particularly the fast chugs they play together. If you want the chugs powerful and noticeable, they have to be totally in sync, and listening to the DI's, they're not all that tight.

2) The bass in the mix is really boomy and jumps around a lot - I don't know what your chain is but it could definitely use some EQ and compression if it can't be fixed at the source; maybe a multi band. It really drowns out the other instruments. The kick is just a click because of this, and even in metal it should have a little low end 'thump'.

3) More of a compositional choice but if you want to accentuate chugs at the end then have the bass and kick follow them like in the first half, rather than just constant double pedal. Depends what you're going for though.

Just a few ideas, I'm no expert but that's just what I hear
Quote by Jackolas
edgespear, driving great ideas again. Sir, you pwn.

Gear:
Guitar: Epiphone Les Paul, PRS SE Floyd Custom 24 Floyd Amethyst
Amp: Peavey 6505, Eleven Rack
Thank you for your reply!

1) I felt they were not completely in sync too but that was the best from several takes I did. I thought I could work some magic with audio warp but those sixteenths at that tempo really are hell to work with. Then again what do I know about editing. 200 bmp is really fast - it seems I have to practice even harder.

2) I did not EQ the bass at all and I agree that the sound sucks. This was not the focus of the post, though, I'll keep in mind what you said.

3) I can see what you're going for. I'll remeber that as well. This is what I was going for though.
Would it be a possibility to hand me the drum midi? I'm seeing what I can make of it.
Vintage V-100, EMG 81&60
Chapman ML-1

Jet City JCA20H
Quote by King Shredder
Try a maple body guitar.

Buying a different guitar to solve a mixing problem, price effective.
Vintage V-100, EMG 81&60
Chapman ML-1

Jet City JCA20H
Quote by King Shredder
Try it.

Give a good reason why sharpening up palm mutes is helped by purchasing a new guitar before looking at amplification, recording equipment and signal processing?
Vintage V-100, EMG 81&60
Chapman ML-1

Jet City JCA20H
Quote by SquierLolz
Give a good reason why sharpening up palm mutes is helped by purchasing a new guitar before looking at amplification, recording equipment and signal processing?

It is easier than improving your technique