Over the years I have traded or sold a number of guitars and equipment that I wish I still had today. One of the most valid reasons I did most of my bad deals was because for the first ten years or so of my playing life, I wasn't financially able to have more than a couple guitars at any one time so my goal was to always have one good solid body electric, one semi-hollow electric, a decent acoustic and a good amp. The other reason that I had to limit my guitar purchases was because I also made it a point to always be the full owner of my own PA system so I could be in a position to form a band, join a band or leave a band without considering who owned the PA and who owed who money etc. Being in this position affected my guitar buying decisions greatly and often not in a good way. If I wanted a new guitar, I usually had to sell or trade one.

The three biggest mistakes I made were:
1. Trading a 1968 Gibson Flying V for a Roland Space Echo.
2. Trading a 1963 Gibson ES-330 (P90 pickups) for a 12 string Gretsch Country Gentleman with a bad neck that couldn't be repaired.
3. Trading a pre-CBS Fender Twin Reverb for a Sound City amp stack (think bad Marshall clone)

All I can say is they seemed to be good ideas at the time, but now that I have confessed to this lack of judgment, tell me some of yours. (Maybe I'll feel better.)
Yes I am guitarded also, nice to meet you.
I've thankfully never made a bad deal. I almost sold my Ernie Ball Musicman Silhouette Special for like a $1000.00 about 5 years ago. I even posted it on kijiji. I bought an American Standard Strat and convinced myself it sounded better than the Silhouette. After a year of playing the Strat I realized the Silhouette is twice the instrument and they now cost like $2000 in Canada.

The Musicman is such a good instrument that it has gotten better with age - like vintage instruments people seek from Fender and Gibson.
I know what you mean about going back to an older guitar you already have and love. I have a 1981 Ibanez AM50 that I played for many, many years and loved it. I kind of got away from it and put in a case and didn't play it for about ten years (I had gotten into Les Paul's in a big way). About a year ago I got it out and did a fret dress and clean up and played it on a few gigs and realized how much I still love this guitar. Now I play it fairly often on gigs (along with a Les Paul). I'm so glad I did not sell it and make another major mistake.
Attachments:
AM 50 3.jpg
Last edited by Rickholly74 at Nov 12, 2015,
I traded a Randall Warhead combo for a Jet City JCA-20H head and cab.
A LONG time ago I pawned an ESP Tigerburst and couldn't afford to get it back.
Traded a nice Yamaha W-7 synth for a dining room table.
Traded a Randall RG100es for 2 pedals.
I trade a lot. Sometimes I don't use my best judgment. Don't feel bad.
Quote by Rickholly74
I know what you mean about going back to an older guitar you already have and love. I have a 1981 Ibanez AM50 that I played for many, many years and loved it. I kind of got away from it and put in a case and didn't play it for about ten years (I had gotten into Les Paul's in a big way). About a year ago I got it out and did a fret dress and clean up and played it on a few gigs and realized how much I still love this guitar. Now I play it fairly often on gigs (along with a Les Paul). I'm so glad I did not sell it and make another major mistake.

Nice looking guitar. Easy to play (action)?
Yes probably the best action of any guitar I own. It sounds great on so may levels. The funny thing is this a 1981 modal. it's a 3/4 size ES-335 style guitar with a nice thin neck. All these years later Gibson comes out with an ES-339 that is very much like the Ibanez AM line from the early 80's.
Last edited by Rickholly74 at Nov 13, 2015,
Quote by Rickholly74
Yes probably the best action of any guitar I own. It sounds great on so may levels. The funny thing is this a 1981 modal. it's a 3/4 size ES-335 style guitar with a nice thin neck. All these years later Gibson comes out with an ES-339 that is very much like the Ibanez AM line from the early 80's.

Cool. You know, the funny thing is, given the planks we start out with as beginners, with inch-high action and bent necks, we struggle through ... showing, to use your strapline, we are all guitarded :-) I guess it's a kind of right of passage?
Worst deals
traded a 72 Les Paul Deluxe for 250$ and a 4 channel mixer. (this was in 89)

Sold my Rickenbacker 620 to music go round for 350. (in 98)

A lot of bad deals in my past I got money from my work and buy gear a few years later fall on hard times sell it off rinse cycle repeat.
I imported a guitar from the US, and later realised it would have been $1000 cheaper to fly over and buy it.
And no, Guitar Hero will not help. Even on expert. Really.
Soundcloud
Actually it's funny you should say that. They were top of the line in their time and I still have that old 70's Space Echo and I also have a 2nd one I bought for parts. I haven't fired that thing up in at least 20 years. It's collecting dust in my basement. Compared to anything available today they are noisy, heavy and a pain in the ass to maintain (change tapes, keep the heads cleaned and aligned, replace the pinch roller and springs on the tension arm every few years etc.). Only good as a boat anchor by todays standards.