Page 1 of 3
I have several friends on facebook who all live in fairly different areas in the US (some in my area) who will screenshot particularly ignorant and/or hateful statuses/comments that people on their feed have made, cross out the name (so that nobody's real name is in the screenshot), and then repost for shits and giggles.

some are political, some have to do with race, and most have to do with science or "the gays".

is this bullying? why or why not?

edit:
there is no accompanying text in the repost that says "hey this is dumb"; the reposts are usually left blank. though I have seen a few that say something along the lines of "I work with this person." or "I go to church with this person."
Quote by Arthur Curry
it's official, vintage x metal is the saving grace of this board and/or the antichrist

e-married to
theguitarist
minterman22
tateandlyle
& alaskan_ninja

Last edited by vintage x metal at Nov 13, 2015,
It's not. It's called Nut Shaming.
Quote by Carmel
I can't believe you are whoring yourself out like that.

ಠ_ಠ
Yes, of course it is.

However, I'm with Dread in the belief that "bullying" isn't inherently wrong.
PM me for newts
Yes, of course it is.

However, I'm with Stewie in the belief that "bullying" isn't inherently wrong.
Quote by yellowfrizbee
What does a girl have to do to get it in the butt thats all I ever wanted from you. Why, Ace? Why? I clean my asshole every night hoping and wishing and it never happens.
Bitches be Crazy.

▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ஜ۩۩ஜ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
Not really if their name isn't in it.
dirtbag ballet by the bins down the alley
as i walk through the chalet of the shadow of death
everything that you've come to expect

Not bullying if you blur their names and faces out

longing rusted furnace daybreak seventeen benign nine homecoming one freight car
the ironic thing about r/cringepics and r/justneckbeardthings is that the content creators are usually cringey and neckbeards too
Quote by StewieSwan
Yes, of course it is.

can you explain why? I have a hard time seeing how reposting something that someone else posted publicly as bullying. if it were private information or a personal attack, then I could certainly see it, but people positively repost (or "share") my posts all the time, so I'm wondering how much malice is involved in simply sharing a public post you disagree with.

(as for dread, we talk a lot in criminology about this book http://www.cambridge.org/us/academic/subjects/sociology/criminology/crime-shame-and-reintegration )
Quote by Arthur Curry
it's official, vintage x metal is the saving grace of this board and/or the antichrist

e-married to
theguitarist
minterman22
tateandlyle
& alaskan_ninja

repost for shits and giggles.

this is what I think makes it bullying. If they were reposting to promote an open discussion or whatever (it actually does happen on fb! Though it's rare) it wouldn't be bullying.

And I don't think the people who wrote the original posts deserve this bullying in every single instance.
cat
Quote by guitarxo
this is what I think makes it bullying. If they were reposting to promote an open discussion or whatever (it actually does happen on fb! Though it's rare) it wouldn't be bullying.

And I don't think the people who wrote the original posts deserve this bullying in every single instance.

can humor be used for open discussion.

I thought this was the angle that shows like the Daily show or other comedy political shows took on. are those bullying as well? is it journalism? both?
Quote by Arthur Curry

e-married to
theguitarist
minterman22
tateandlyle
& alaskan_ninja

Quote by cha33 armstrong
It's deserved bullying

what makes bullying deserved? how does that differ from bad bullying? (not arguing just asking for elaboration I'm interested in yr thoughts)
Quote by Arthur Curry

e-married to
theguitarist
minterman22
tateandlyle
& alaskan_ninja

I dunno, I think you can't really say that Jon Stewart never bullied Fox News

But being in that industry, you're openly susceptible to that type of criticism. I think on a personal level it's a bit more offensive, but I think if you view your opinions as legitimate enough to be aired, then they are legitimate enough to be criticized and even mocked. That's just fair, I think, idk
Quote by Trowzaa
I wish I was American.

~ A Rolling Potato Gathers No Moss ~
Quote by vintage x metal
can you explain why? I have a hard time seeing how reposting something that someone else posted publicly as bullying.

Because you're inviting others to mock, belittle, and insult the person. They might know who they are attacking, but the person who said it still gets attacked.
PM me for newts
Yeah it is. If they're not posting their names, then they're not shaming them. That person's opinion is still being held up as unthinkably stupid.

All this means is that you should be selective about which opinions go up there. If you disagree with it, probably not a good idea. If it's particularly awful, even by the standards of people who would disagree with you entirely on that topic, go for it. I call this the checks and balances of social darwinism.
Quote by eGraham
I dunno, I think you can't really say that Jon Stewart never bullied Fox News

But being in that industry, you're openly susceptible to that type of criticism. I think on a personal level it's a bit more offensive, but I think if you view your opinions as legitimate enough to be aired, then they are legitimate enough to be criticized and even mocked. That's just fair, I think, idk

I feel the same way, only because people went out of their way to say things on a public forum.

Like, if someone went on stage and people posted a ton of shit about their hairstyle being crap, I think that is bullying. If someone goes on stage and says some stuff and then people talk about that stuff, is that bullying?

If we relate that back to facebook though, I think it gets complicated because facebook straddles the lines between public and private. I only use it as a fully public forum at this point but some people see it as a fairly personal space
Quote by Arthur Curry

e-married to
theguitarist
minterman22
tateandlyle
& alaskan_ninja

Highlighting something you feel is wrong/stupid is not necessarily bullying, and if there's no identifying information I can't see how it's bullying at all.
“Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge.”
Charles Darwin
on a serious note, if you feel the need to repost other people's opinions only to get your rocks off from the public shaming, then you have some serious insecurity issues and seeking validation by putting down others (regardless of what their opinions are) that you have literally nothing to do with pretty much makes you a shitlord of the highest order. The sort of shitlord we've been discussing ad nauseam here the last few days. Them "deserving" it has nothing to do with it. People who do this are just as bad or worse than the people with the ******ed opinions.
Quote by yellowfrizbee
What does a girl have to do to get it in the butt thats all I ever wanted from you. Why, Ace? Why? I clean my asshole every night hoping and wishing and it never happens.
Bitches be Crazy.

Quote by vintage x metal
can humor be used for open discussion.

I thought this was the angle that shows like the Daily show or other comedy political shows took on. are those bullying as well? is it journalism? both?

1. Yes

2. I think the reason I feel that there is a difference is that comedy political shows deal more with public figures, whereas on Facebook there is at least some expectation of privacy. I know that nothing online is really private, but the way fb is set up gives people the illusion of privacy. I don't know the relationships between the people involved in what you see on Facebook but it is probably more personal than someone making fun of someone else on TV. Also, when I see people post things like this it usually ends up in a bunch of name-calling comments. What good does that do anyone?

fwiw I felt like the daily show crossed into bullying quite a few times which is why I stopped watching it.

edit: to add on to the illusion of privacy thing: I've seen a screenshotted post where someone tagged the author of the post in the comments and the person who took the screenshot had shitty privacy settings (or mutual friends idk) so the author started commenting to defend herself and the screenshotter's friends started insulting her and I think they were cousins or something it was just a shitty situation for both of them.
cat
Last edited by guitarxo at Nov 13, 2015,
Quote by StewieSwan
Because you're inviting others to mock, belittle, and insult the person. They might know who they are attacking, but the person who said it still gets attacked.

how do they get attacked if their identity isn't involved? certainly it's their ideas, not them as a person

doesn't bullying require a target?

if you're just sharing what someone posted publicly, and show no association to the person, what keeps it from being a simple discussion? people who agree with the post can comment and agree. people who don't can disagree and comment.
Quote by Arthur Curry

e-married to
theguitarist
minterman22
tateandlyle
& alaskan_ninja

it could be passive aggressive bullying in a way
will someone carry me across ten thousand miles under the silence
Quote by Arby911
Highlighting something you feel is wrong/stupid is not necessarily bullying, and if there's no identifying information I can't see how it's bullying at all.

Allow me to posit a scenario:

Person on Twitter posts a really dumb thing

A famous person takes a screencap, blurs the name, and reposts with "look at this dumb cunt"

Thousands of people comment with "haha yeah dumb cunt should kill herself." "what a waste of life" "stupid bitch. probably a fat, ugly whore"

Person on twitter sees all these comments from strangers calling her all these things and gets very upset.

Are you suggesting that is not bullying? Or does the status of "bullying" depend on the fame of the person reposting/blogging/tweeting/whatev?

Quote by vintage x metal
how do they get attacked if their identity isn't involved? certainly it's their ideas, not them as a person.

I think it's absurd to make a distinction between a person's identity and their ideas.
PM me for newts
Last edited by StewieSwan at Nov 13, 2015,
Anything you post on the internet is fair game. People that don't want others repeating/potentially laughing at their ignorant comments are throwing themselves under the bus by making the original post.
"Rock'n'Roll, music for the neck downwards"
Quote by Acϵ♠
on a serious note, if you feel the need to repost other people's opinions only to get your rocks off from the public shaming, then you have some serious insecurity issues and seeking validation by putting down others (regardless of what their opinions are) that you have literally nothing to do with pretty much makes you a shitlord of the highest order. The sort of shitlord we've been discussing ad nauseam here the last few days. Them "deserving" it has nothing to do with it. People who do this are just as bad or worse than the people with the ******ed opinions.

is it really public shaming if there is no identification of the person and it is not tied to their page?

what makes it public shaming as opposed to "starting a discussion" if you repost something you disagree with and take the time to erase someone's identity from it so they are not physically harmed in any way?
Quote by Arthur Curry

e-married to
theguitarist
minterman22
tateandlyle
& alaskan_ninja

Yeah I assumed she meant that the person with the censored name will be able to see the post. If they wont—like if you take a youtube comment and post it on Facebook or something—then I hardly see how it counts as bullying unless we're only defining bullying as intent, which would be dumb cuz no one "intends" to bully.
Quote by StewieSwan
Allow me to posit a scenario:

Person on Twitter posts a really dumb thing

A famous person takes a screencap, blurs the name, and reposts with "look at this dumb cunt"

Thousands of people comment with "haha yeah dumb cunt should kill herself." "what a waste of life" "stupid bitch. probably a fat, ugly whore"

Person on twitter sees all these comments from strangers calling her all these things and gets very upset.

Are you suggesting that is not bullying? Or does the status of "bullying" depend on the fame of the person reposting/blogging/tweeting/whatev?

I think it's absurd to make a distinction between a person's identity and their ideas.

I think the bolded is bullying.

but the people I am talking about are not doing that, and they are not "famous on twitter" or anything. this is just material they find on their own Facebook feeds, and only shared on their own Facebook feeds
Quote by Arthur Curry

e-married to
theguitarist
minterman22
tateandlyle
& alaskan_ninja

I think it's more like trolling than bullying, but I can't say for sure. I'm one of the three people on Earth that isn't on Facebook.
Quote by StewieSwan

Are you suggesting that is not bullying?

Yes.
“Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge.”
Charles Darwin
Quote by rickyvanh
I think it's more like trolling than bullying, but I can't say for sure. I'm one of the three people on Earth that isn't on Facebook.

what is the difference
will someone carry me across ten thousand miles under the silence
Quote by rickyvanh
I'm one of the three people on Earth that isn't on Facebook.

brother???
"Rock'n'Roll, music for the neck downwards"
Quote by LifeEchoes at #33680395
Anything you post on the internet is fair game. People that don't want others repeating/potentially laughing at their ignorant comments are throwing themselves under the bus by making the original post.
It doesn't invalidate bullying, though.

But I agree with you.
Quote by StewieSwan
think it's absurd to make a distinction between a person's identity and their ideas.

what? I'm speaking totally practically.

like, when people want to testify on the news but they don't want to be physically endangered, they manipulate their voices and don't show their faces, so they are not identifiable but their ideas are still heard.

what exactly are you talking about? I'm just referring to how, in these facebook cases, the names and pictures are blurred so the text of the post is present, but it can't be traced back to a specific person, unless the person who originally posted it sees it and recognizes it
Quote by Arthur Curry

e-married to
theguitarist
minterman22
tateandlyle
& alaskan_ninja

Quote by vintage x metal
is it really public shaming if there is no identification of the person and it is not tied to their page?

what makes it public shaming as opposed to "starting a discussion" if you repost something you disagree with and take the time to erase someone's identity from it so they are not physically harmed in any way?

Of course it's public shaming lol the intent is inherently malicious. Starting a discussion would be posting a screencap and saying, "hey here's this opinion, what do you guys think?" What makes it public shaming is reposting it and essentially screaming like dill from stickin' around "HAY GUISE OHHHHMUHGAWD LOOK AT DIS STUUUUUUPID PERSON WITH THEIR STUUUUPID OPINION RAHRAHRAHRAH!!" It's incitement but because it's on the internet it's okay? No.

the person doesn't need to be identified for it to be malicious and therefore a public shaming/witch hunt/social crucifixion. It speaks massive volumes about the shittiness of the reposters who do this. Like, focus on your own shitty self instead of trying to get your boost from putting down people you've never even met based on a couple sentences lol like fuck off
Quote by yellowfrizbee
Bitches be Crazy.

Trolling is when you fuck with people on the internet, usually because your bored. Bullying is when you pin someone down who is weaker, and fart in their face. This is mostly done out of boredom, as well.
You guys remember when we were kids, when we used to sarcastically repeat what someone else said in a trolling manner?

(Not saying it's always done in malice, but makes ya think)
Last edited by Fat Lard at Nov 13, 2015,
Page 1 of 3