Hi guys,

ive been playing for a while now and am getting into electric guitar and decided to invest in some pedals. I currently have a boss distortion. There is a deal at the moment 3 for 2 on boss pedals. I planned on purchasing a looper. what 2 more pedals in the boss range should I add to my arsenal.

Pedal choice so far: Distortion, Looper, Delay and possibly a chorus?

what do you think I should add or take out? thanks.

Thanks guys!
Reverb
Epiphone Les Paul Standard Pearl & Ebony • Les Paul PlusTop Pro Honeyburst • AJ220VS • Squier Standard Stratocaster CAR
Marshall Class 5 Combo • Digitech HT-2 • Vox V847 • MXR M68 Uni-Vibe • Soul Food • BOSS SD-1 • Digitech RV-7
It really depends what you're going for. Lot of guitarist just plug straight into the amp, and call it a day; Maybe throw a wah, or OD in front.

I wouldn't by pedals just because there's a deal. If there's something there you want, then go for it, but otherwise it's likely just a waste of money.

What other gear do you own? You're usually always better off upgrading your amp first.

For example, maybe you buy a reverb, an OD, and a distortion pedal, then later go out a upgrade your amp, and you end up loving the distortion and reverb that the amp has, so you never really have a use for the pedals again.

That's just me 2 cents
Guitars:
PRS Custom 24
Gibson Les Paul 60's Tribute
85' MIJ Strat
97' Snakepit Les Paul
LP Traditional 1960 Zebra
MIJ Tele
MIA Strat

Amps:
Silver Jubilee 2525
Peavey Ultra 112
Jet City JCA50H
66' Bassman
Pink Paisley Princeton RV
74' Vibro Champ
A tuner and 2 others you think sound cool for what you play.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
Do you have a tuner? Boss TU tuner pedals are really handy. A looper is also nice to have if you want to lay down a rhythm and then practice playing over it. Up next for me would be a delay pedal. Or maybe another distortion / overdrive to give you a different flavor to choose from?
Current Gear:
2002 Gibson Les Paul Standard
'57 AVRI Fender Stratocaster
MIJ Fender Jaguar Special HH
Marshall JVM410
Vox AC15 C2
I'd get one of the delay pedals with a looper built in, which is more than enough for home use. A tuner as mentioned. I'd personally go for a tremolo or a phaser (I love those to add flavour to cleans), but a chorus or an overdrive might be the better choice for what you want.
I'd say best thing to do for beginner is to get a one generation behind guitar processor and work with that until he/she gets better and has learned the various effects.

One gen. behind Vox Valvetronix pedals, Boss GT-8, GT-10, Korg, Rocktron, etc.

Usually if you go one gen. behind the latest you get a good deal as they fall in price quite a bit yet you get almost as good modeling out of it as the latest.
A tuner, and maybe an additional distortion pedal for more variety (unless your current od already has two channels), and I personally like chorus and flanger effects a lot. Delay can be interesting too.
Generally +1 to all the comments that it depends what you'd like to play and simply what effects you enjoy, but I'd say delay and reverb are by far the most versatile and not that hard to "tame" (unlike most modulation effects which sound like they want to kill you until you learn to dial them in properly). Both are very useful for everything from clean chords, through epic leads and dramatic riffs, up to epic soundscapes, and I think it would be hard to find any genre that doesn't use those to some extent. I might be biased because I'm a total reverb and delay addict but I think it's both the safest and the most versatile option. The Boss delay and reverb pedals are both maybe not breathtaking, but very solid and with a nice choice of options too.

You can also simply do some youtubing what each pedal does (Boss pedals are very common so you'll probably find plenty of demos of each) and pick what sounds coolest to you and gives you that "10/10 would play" feeling.

I'd also advise against stacking up on OD and distortion pedals if you're a beginner - I know from my own experience that a) taste in distorted tone may evolve quite a bit as you learn more and try more gear, b) after changing amps you may find your new amp does the same things just as well or better. It's the only type of pedals you may find redundant after changing amps. It's better to get those if you already have a good amp you're happy with and the pedal can fill a role your amp can't do.
Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
There's no point in trying to convince a moron.
Tuner, tubescreamer/OD type thing and a wah are all I actually use.
But really it depends on what you are playing.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Tuner, OD, Delay.

What you should really get is some multi effects unit.
Play with that for awhile and see what you use the most often.
Then go for either a higher end multi effects unit or start buying individual pedals.
The lower end multi effects units aren't that great (from what I have heard) in the Dirt (OD, Distortion, Fuzz) department though.
Hey guys, thanks for the replies. I think ill upgrade my amp first as some of yous have mentioned. I was thinking of purchasing a fender frontman 212r amp. I don't have the funds to stretch to a fender blues junior. Is the frontman 212r a decent amp or should I wait it out and buy the blues junior? thanks
Quote by cianfitzrfc
Hey guys, thanks for the replies. I think ill upgrade my amp first as some of yous have mentioned. I was thinking of purchasing a fender frontman 212r amp. I don't have the funds to stretch to a fender blues junior. Is the frontman 212r a decent amp or should I wait it out and buy the blues junior? thanks

the FM's are pretty garbage IMO. What are you using now, and what's your budget? Where do you live, and do you mind going used??
Guitars:
PRS Custom 24
Gibson Les Paul 60's Tribute
85' MIJ Strat
97' Snakepit Les Paul
LP Traditional 1960 Zebra
MIJ Tele
MIA Strat

Amps:
Silver Jubilee 2525
Peavey Ultra 112
Jet City JCA50H
66' Bassman
Pink Paisley Princeton RV
74' Vibro Champ
Hi, I don't mind buying used gear, I currently use a kustom 100fx. I live in Ireland. Budget is about 200-300€. I wanted something decent that I can use in a few years time. I'm 15 years old playing since I was 11 and this would be my first proper amp. I own a mex 97 start,
Thanks guys!
what type of music do you play?
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
I mainly play, Hendrix, Clapton, rory Gallagher, oasis, u2. Rock and blues mainly but play nearly all genres of music.
thanks

i'm guessing something decent and tube would be better for those tones, you're not going to get too much for 300 euros unless you want to chance a bugera (the v series i guess). I haven't tried them, though, so And there are conflicting opinions about how badly-built they actually are- I've heard some comments from people I think know what they're talking about saying they're actually not built too badly now.

or there's jet city, which is crazy good value, but most of them are more higher-gain type amps. the 50 watt 2x12 combo is supposedly lower gain, but it's rarely in stock anywhere and being a 2x12 is very big and heavy.

this one's supposedly lower gain but i haven't tried it either. plus you need a cab too.

http://www.thomann.de/gb/jet_city_amplification_jca20hv.htm

or

http://www.jetcityamplificationstore.co.uk/product/jca20h/

or

http://www.jetcityamplificationstore.co.uk/product/custom-22/

i haven't tried any of those, though.

this is probably the cheapest decent cab you can get: http://www.thomann.de/gb/harley_benton_g112vintage.htm

and a speaker cable: http://www.thomann.de/gb/cordial_ctl_15_pp.htm
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Last edited by Dave_Mc at Nov 14, 2015,
I have a collection of pedals I think are cool and B@D, basic would be: OD - Distortion - Chorus - Reverb - Delay. It depends on your budget, whether you can buy boutique pedals or copy. Joyo makes good pedals that don't cost much, Mooer also has good pedals.. I like TC Electronic (Polytune2, Spark Booster, Mojo Mojo, Dark Matter, HOF, Gravy, Ditto Looper X2, Flashback X4) and Digitech (Screamin Blues, Bad Monkey with Gorilla mod, Polara reverberation, Obscura altered delay, Hyper Phase, Bass Synth Wah envelope filter, Trio).

I think best suggestion is practice your playing.. Effects enhance what you do.
I have Washburn guitars 'Maverick Series' and bass 'Bantam Series' and a few pedals and amps, but man I wish to have more patience and drive practicing my playing, if it's equal to the modding itch, then I'm golden.
A POG, an acoustic simulator and a fuzz-wah. Keep things simple.
Fender Mustang/Derfenstein DST> Boss Power Wah> Pedal Monsters Klone> Bogner Uberschall> Walrus Audio Janus> Randall RM20> Line 6 M9> Randall RM20
Thanks guys, I think I'll invest in a high quality amp instead of the pedals. Even if I was to spend say 450 on an amp what would you suggest?
Cheers
Quote by cianfitzrfc
<Snip>... choice so far: Distortion, Looper, Delay and possibly a chorus? <snip>
All good candidates. The BOSS gear is very good. You may also want to consider the ME-25.
Mustang v2 III/IV●EXP-1●FUSE●REMUDA●Yamaha THR10C
Epi LP Florentine Pro●LP Cstm Pros●LP PlusTop Pro●Sheraton-II Pro
Cstm Strat Vntg Noiseless●Guild D-55
So Creek Cables●BOSS RC-1●RS7500
D'Addario Strings●Vari-Grip●Planet Lock Straps
Quote by cianfitzrfc
Thanks guys, I think I'll invest in a high quality amp instead of the pedals. Even if I was to spend say 450 on an amp what would you suggest?
Cheers

450 will get you the jet city stuff, assuming it works for the stuff you play (I've only tried the high gain 50 watt head I have) it's hard to beat for the money.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
What Dave said.

Also look into the JCA2212 combo and the older single-channel variant of that (JCA2012 it was I think).
A used Laney VC15 would also be well in your price range is easily found all across the UK (not sure about Ireland, but having it shipped from the UK shouldn't be that expensive, right?). The Jet City amps are more capable in the high-gain department, but the Laney has nice cleans and does low to medium overdrive very well.

EDIT:
Oh wait, we're up to 450€ now? Shouldn't be difficult to get a used VC30 for that. Much like the VC15, but bigger, louder, ballsier.
Last edited by TheQuailman at Nov 15, 2015,
^ there are a couple of newer, lower gain jet cities i think, but i haven't tried them. I mentioned them in my first post.

but yeah those laneys shouldn't be too hard to find in ireland either, and are well worth a look.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
I would choose phaser, wah, delay/reverb, provided my base amp was solid in the gain department.
Would you be able to get a Peavey Classic 30 for that budget? That would do nicely.