Page 1 of 3
looking for a place to drone on and on about what you think? aren't all that assed about the ongoing situation and just wanna whine about war or islam?

come be a bellend in here and let the rest of us keep up to date about what's happening
dirtbag ballet by the bins down the alley
as i walk through the chalet of the shadow of death
everything that you've come to expect

Not caught up on what's going on like at all but is this gonna be one of those things where the internet tries too hard to play detectives and ends up legit ruining peoples lives like what reddit (and the Pit) did to that one missing kids family during the Boston marathon stuff. That's all I need know cuz I've been keeping tabs on developing stories and how terrible the Pit handles them.
Good idea

Gozd in gora poj,
silen ženimo hrup,
uboga gmajna, le vpup, le vkup,
le vkup, le vkup z menoj,
staro pravdo v mrak tulimo,
da se pretulimo skozi to zimo
Or you know, just be decent. People died. At the hand of religiously deluded terrorists. Their motivation was religious and they killed in the name of it. I for one, wish we as a species would grow out of bronze age superstitions.

I wont single out any one religion since all three Abrahamic religions have a relentlessly bloody history.

Its a shame more people will die before we abandon religious ideas.
Sat in a lab, curing diseases. They actually LET me play with chemicals!
Quote by metaldud536
It could have been worse. It could have been a U2 concert.

I disagree.
Quote by Carmel
I can't believe you are whoring yourself out like that.

ಠ_ಠ
Quote by ehbacon
Well I don't think we are going to war anytime soon with the amount of debt we have. We might help a bit but really that's all we can do.

I really think we are gonna stay out of it (for the most part) until (hopefully this doesn't happen) we are forced to go to war; and if so we will most likely have to borrow from other countries to help the fight like we did in 240 years ago.

that
This is what happens when you fund and arm rebels to topple a dictator in an already volatile region. The civil war was never going to stay confined to Syria. The fascist regime had its major flaws, but we were warned countless times that this would happen if the rebels (sorry, freedom fighters) won

It wasn't about freedom, its always been about power

Am I doing this thread right?
Eat your pheasant
Drink your wine
Your days are numbered, bourgeois swine!
bronze age? hardly
most religious people live out their lives without massacring over 100 people so it's probably not the time or place to level your r/atheism rant, but congrats on picking the better of the two threads to make that post in
Quote by Eastwinn
bronze age? hardly
most religious people live out their lives without massacring over 100 people so it's probably not the time or place to level your r/atheism rant, but congrats on picking the better of the two threads to make that post in

I thought the point of this thread was to be an ass or did I completely miss the point of it?
Quote by Pastafarian96
I'm literally avoiding getting out of bed so I don't have to hear the ridiculous amount of bullshit that my dad will inevitably spout thinking he's the most informed man in the world.

good luck to everyone who attempts to discuss this with their bigoted family or friends.
''something stupid that brad would say, stupid librarians, gun control is bad, 'murca''
o()o

Quote by JamSessionFreak
yes every night of my entire life i go to bed crying because i wasnt born american
Quote by Eastwinn
bronze age? hardly

The fact that they don't kill people, doesn't mean they don't hold outdated beliefs.
Quote by Carmel

ಠ_ಠ
People kill in the name of different ideologies, both religious and secular.

Religion as an umbrella-term isn't to blame. The terrorists' particular interpretation of Islam is.
"If God exists, there's no way he is French" - Andrea Pirlo

S A D B O Y S
Quote by Guitardude19
I thought the point of this thread was to be an ass or did I completely miss the point of it?

OP worded it like that because he wants a purely emotional focus on this, which I don't really blame him for. Though you have to respect those of us who choose to also form a logical opinion, not just an emotional one.
Quote by I.O.T.M
People kill in the name of different ideologies, both religious and secular.

Religion as an umbrella-term isn't to blame. The terrorists' particular interpretation of Islam is.

The abrahamic religions make it pretty fucking easy for their followers to reach this conclusion though.
Quote by Carmel

ಠ_ಠ
Quote by ehbacon
OP worded it like that because he wants a purely emotional focus on this, which I don't really blame him for. Though you have to respect those of us who choose to also form a logical opinion, not just an emotional one.

Quote by ehbacon
to be honest I think the fact that they had Death Metal in their name at least added motive to specifically attack that show.

is myopic speculation now considered 'logical'?

t&l made this thread to keep horseshit debates out of the other one.
it's a good thing, cause otherwise i'd have nowhere to post a response like this
Quote by ehbacon

No one should be taking this thread seriously. Be a bell end about the Paris attacks! The title says enough that this is not a serious thread so I'm not taking it seriously.

The events of Paris are too recent to form a cogent opinion on. The full scale of it has not yet been realised so I am withholding any opinion until such time more details emerge.
Quote by ehbacon

People are still dying as we fucking speak, don't be such a pretentious cunt
Eat your pheasant
Drink your wine
Your days are numbered, bourgeois swine!
Quote by ehbacon

lol fuck off

you think this is all because a band has the words death metal in it's name. maybe get a fucking grip and stop being 12.
Quote by Neo Evil11
The abrahamic religions make it pretty fucking easy for their followers to reach this conclusion though.

It's a matter of the way individual believers choose to interpret the scriptures of the Abrahamic faiths. If they choose to interpret them as the literal truth, almost like a scientific text, then it is easy to see how they can come to these conclusions. But most believers in the West are more selective or interpret scriptures allegorically and so do not reach those conclusions. It would be wrong to throw both sets of the believers under the bus for the actions of a minority. It's also important to note that even most fundamentalists disagree with terrorism: for example, the Westboro Baptist Church are horrible bigots, but they are not going out and blowing people up.

S A D B O Y S
Why don't we just call this "The ONLY bellend thread"

Would cut down on shitty threads by about 90%
Come back if you want to
And remember who you are
‘Cause there's nothing here for you my dear
And everything must pass
Quote by I.O.T.M
It's a matter of the way individual believers choose to interpret the scriptures of the Abrahamic faiths. If they choose to interpret them as the literal truth, almost like a scientific text, then it is easy to see how they can come to these conclusions. But most believers in the West are more selective or interpret scriptures allegorically and so do not reach those conclusions. It would be wrong to throw both sets of the believers under the bus for the actions of a minority. It's also important to note that even most fundamentalists disagree with terrorism: for example, the Westboro Baptist Church are horrible bigots, but they are not going out and blowing people up.

All religion is wrong. The fact that some of them go out killing people is just an added "bonus".
Quote by Carmel

ಠ_ಠ
Quote by Neo Evil11
All religion is wrong.

Do you really believe this or are you just trying to be controversial? How is all religion wrong?

S A D B O Y S
Quote by I.O.T.M
Do you really believe this or are you just trying to be controversial? How is all religion wrong?

Did any of them get the origin of mankind or the universe correct? They are ancient stories to make up for the fact that people knew fuck all about what was happening around them.
Quote by Carmel

ಠ_ಠ
Quote by Neo Evil11
Did any of them get the origin of mankind or the universe correct?

So you're saying it's wrong from a factual standpoint, not a moral one?

That's not really a bad thing then is it?
Come back if you want to
And remember who you are
And everything must pass
Quote by i_lovemetallica
So you're saying it's wrong from a factual standpoint, not a moral one?

That's not really a bad thing then is it?

There is no such thing as a moral truth.

But take Christianity for example, how can one take a book as the word of God if it gets the facts wrong? Why would the morals necessarily be any better? I don't want to kill people that work on a sabbat for example.
Quote by Carmel

ಠ_ಠ
Last edited by Neo Evil11 at Nov 13, 2015,
Quote by Eastwinn
related,

What? Should that make sense to me?
Quote by Neo Evil11
There is no such thing as a moral truth.

But take Christianity for example, how can one take a book as the word of God if it gets the facts wrong? Why would the morals necessarily be any better? I don't want to kill people that work on a sabbat for example.

But you say all religion is wrong?

Your blanket statement on religion means that the teachings in various religions of concepts such as "Love thy neighbour" and "Thou shalt not kill" are wrong as well.

I honestly don't want to change your viewpoint. Your opinion is your opinion, I just felt like playing devil's advocate
Come back if you want to
And remember who you are
And everything must pass
Last edited by i_lovemetallica at Nov 13, 2015,
Quote by tateandlyle
lol fuck off

you think this is all because a band has the words death metal in it's name. maybe get a fucking grip and stop being 12.

you clearly aren't understanding what i'm saying, or maybe choosing to not understand.

What I obviously meant from the Death Metal post was that the attackers probably picked that exact location and event for the attack because of the bands name, (assuming that this is an islamic extremist group) that kind of music pretty much goes against all of their beliefs so...
France attacked, again, because it's the easiest target in the "developed West". Possibly a response to Jihadi John getting his shit ruined? Who knows. All we know is it's either going to blow over because other countries can't be arsed/afford getting more involved or it's going to be used as an excuse to go absolutely OTT and bomb the fuck out of everywhere where "those A-rab folk live"
The DNA results show that Jeremy Kyle is a nob.

Quote by titsmcgee852
I want to look at your sexual naked body.
Quote by ehbacon
you clearly aren't understanding what i'm saying, or maybe choosing to not understand.

What I obviously meant from the Death Metal post was that the attackers probably picked that exact location and event for the attack because of the bands name, (assuming that this is an islamic extremist group) that kind of music pretty much goes against all of their beliefs so...

That is a massive over-speculation. Is there even any evidence anywhere to suggest that's why it happened there?

And on a side note, it's totally unhelpful, why bother speculating on something that doesn't change the relevance of the event?
Come back if you want to
And remember who you are
And everything must pass
Quote by i_lovemetallica
That is a massive over-speculation. Is there even any evidence anywhere to suggest that's why it happened there?

And on a side note, it's totally unhelpful, why bother speculating on something that doesn't change the relevance of the event?

that's like saying "why try to find out about the creation of the universe if it won't change the fact that it happened?"
Quote by i_lovemetallica
What? Should that make sense to me?

But you say all religion is wrong?

Your blanket statement on religion means that the teachings in various religions of concepts such as "Love thy neighbour" and "Thou shalt not kill" are wrong as well.

I honestly don't want to change your viewpoint. Your opinion is your opinion, I just felt like playing devil's advocate

They are factually wrong. You brought morals into this. I told you there is no moral truth, therefore morals don't fall under my statement. But I definitely disagree with love thy neighbour, that's how I lost my girlfriend.
Quote by Carmel

ಠ_ಠ
Quote by Neo Evil11
Did any of them get the origin of mankind or the universe correct? They are ancient stories to make up for the fact that people knew fuck all about what was happening around them.

I agree with you to an extent, religion cannot do the job of science better than science itself. But you define religion far too narrowly. You've made two erroneous assumptions on the nature of religion. Firstly, that religion = theological realism. Secondly, that religion is a primitive attempt at natural science.

Religion is wider than that. It is meaning making. For example, there is nothing wrong with an entirely symbolic interpretation of Christianity. It can give meaning to life but without having to accept all the metaphysical claims of traditional religion, but it is still religion.

S A D B O Y S
Quote by ehbacon
that's like saying "why try to find out about the creation of the universe if it won't change the fact that it happened?"

Something tells me that "Why did it happen at an Eagles of Death Metal concert?" won't come up in the Coroner's inquest. It just seems like a really long bow for you to draw when there isn't even anything to support your assertion.

It's like that scene in Anchorman 2 where they start wildly speculating about the driver of a stolen car.

Because it would have made no difference if it was an EoDM concert or an Andre Rieu concert.
Come back if you want to
And remember who you are
And everything must pass
Last edited by i_lovemetallica at Nov 13, 2015,
Quote by I.O.T.M
I agree with you to an extent, religion cannot do the job of science better than science itself. But you define religion far too narrowly. You've made two erroneous assumptions on the nature of religion. Firstly, that religion = theological realism. Secondly, that religion is a primitive attempt at natural science.

Religion is wider than that. It is meaning making. For example, there is nothing wrong with an entirely symbolic interpretation of Christianity. It can give meaning to life but without having to accept all the metaphysical claims of traditional religion, but it is still religion.

Quote by Neo Evil11
They are factually wrong. You brought morals into this. I told you there is no moral truth, therefore morals don't fall under my statement. But I definitely disagree with love thy neighbour, that's how I lost my girlfriend.

Factually yes.

But you said "All religion is wrong". If you said that religion was factually wrong, I would 100% agree with you. But, as I said, blanket statements mean that your statement covers all bases, which would include morals.
Come back if you want to
And remember who you are
And everything must pass
Page 1 of 3