I first noticed that it was keen to cut off only if I had the wrong imp selected (line or hi-z). I have been more wary of that recently. But today I noticed that no matter what I did it cut off after a few moments.

I tried other USB ports and that did not help. I adjusted imps and output power, and it still cut off. I was running a Tech-21 SansAmp to it direct. No overload or anything of the sort, though.

It does seem to stay on only when my computer is set to high-performance in the battery section of my taskbar.

Some more background: I am running Windows 8. I notice that one of Mackie's PDF's about drivers lists that the Onyx Blackjack does not have support for Windows 8. That could be a part of it. The manual says to make sure the latest ASIO drivers are installed, so I am downloading that now (update was on the 5th of November)? Although I used the interface before then and it worked so I am not sure. I also unplug it direct from the USB port when I am done recording with it. I would use the "safe to unplug" function but it does not show up on my computer.

There is also another zip file that says "USB Driver and Installation Instructions" but that sounds less like actual drivers and more like how-to.

It does seem to work for the time being with high-perfomance selected but I think I should ask before I end up causing any harm to it. Thanks all.
Last edited by Will Lane at Nov 13, 2015,
I think it's a Win 8 issue, I have it's big brother Blackbird (Firewire connection) that sometimes does the same when I use it at home with a Win 8 machine.
Quote by diabolical
Its USB device, so you can't really hurt anything on the USB bus as it is designed for that.
Maybe try Mackie support orvroll back your Windows updates via system restore.
I sent them a message and am waiting. I also noticed some light glitchy noises when I was recording yesterday with the Sansamp, but that could be other factors besides the interface.
Quote by Keskimaki
I think it's a Win 8 issue, I have it's big brother Blackbird (Firewire connection) that sometimes does the same when I use it at home with a Win 8 machine.
Right. A friend of mine suggested that the USB port cannot run on low power while powering the Blackjack. So maybe Win 8 does a bad job/does not know to keep the power to the USB strong when not in high performance.
Is it a USB 2? Some of the newer machines I've read have to be put in strictly legacy/usb2 mode via BIOS, that might be another thing to look into.

If they have Win10 drivers maybe going with the free OS upgrade from M$ might be a good idea?