I'm looking at building a second guitar to play drop A and B with, since my current one can barely even handle playing drop C.

I still haven't decided on an actual guitar yet, but I've narrowed it down to a few which are all 25.5".

So which gauge should I use?

Thanks
Have you considered getting a baritone guitar if you're tuning that low?

You would need at least 13s for Drop A with a 25.5. I imagine 12s being a bit loose on that tuning.
I spoke to some people who play drop A and B and a few recommended a baritone, others recommended 25.5" since it was cheaper and can do drop A with 12 gauge without too many problems. One of which was an Instagram page @slipknotfanscovers who I've seen play using a 25.5 and 12s without issue
For C# standard on a 25.5 I get away with using .12's. It's not loose feeling which is basically how I like it to feel, when I drop the 6th string to B (which is rarely) that string feels a bit wobbly.
Quote by DQcrewmember
how do you ban people from posting in your threads?

Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
You don't

Quote by Zaphikh
"Why are we here?"

"Plastic... asshole."
Heavier... I put 11s on a guitar and put it into C and that was a mistake, way too loose.

Quote by emad
jthm_guitarist
Warned for trolling!

Quote by metal4eva_22
Didn't you say that you had a stuffed fox that you would occasionally fuck?

Quote by Axelfox
It's not a fox,it's a wolf.
12s. And at that do 12-60.
Gibson RD Silverburst w/ Lace Dissonant Aggressors (SOLD)
Electra Omega Prime Ceruse
Fender Franken-Jag Bass

Amps and the like:
Laney VH100R
Seismic Luke 2x12
Dunlop 105Q Wah
Gojira FX 808
Line 6 M9
You''ll manage fine on a 25.5'' in drop A but ONLY if you have the right guage.

I use 11-90 for F# standard on a 25.5'' 8 string.

My low B is a 66 guage.

For drop A, I would recommend at least a 68.

DDario have a 14-68 baritone set, maybe give that a whirl?

Else, go to DaDarios tension calculator, calculate what kind of strings you need for the tension that you want (i prefer a tension of 16lbs on my high E, steadily rising to 20 on the F#), note down the guages that you need, then head over to stringjoy.com OR Kalium strings and order your own custom pack.
Quote by GS LEAD 5
....[ ].....Else, go to DaDarios tension calculator, calculate what kind of strings you need for the tension that you want (i prefer a tension of 16lbs on my high E, steadily rising to 20 on the F#), note down the guages that you need, then head over to stringjoy.com OR Kalium strings and order your own custom pack.
That page and its downloadable PDF, are well worth supplying the link: http://www.daddario.com/DAstringtensionguide.Page?sid=191e9644-f3c7-4c07-890e-e8d9f7a33160
Quote by Captaincranky
That page and its downloadable PDF, are well worth supplying the link: http://www.daddario.com/DAstringtensionguide.Page?sid=191e9644-f3c7-4c07-890e-e8d9f7a33160

You, sir, are behind the times

I meant THIS: http://stringtensionpro.com/

MUCH better. Select scale length. Select target tension. Select string material. Boom, auto generates string guage.

EDIT: I'm assuming a progressive tension of 16-19 lbs, for drop A, and posting results.

Last edited by GS LEAD 5 at Nov 14, 2015,
OP, what gauge are you using for which tunings at the moment? It's all well and good for people to say "I use such-and-such for this tuning", but in standard some people prefer 9s and some people prefer 12s. Your ideal gauge for drop A is going to vary a lot depending what you'd use in standard.
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
Youre officially uber shit now.

Quote by StewieSwan
3d9310rd is far more upset than i 
Quote by DisturbedMggt
I spoke to some people who play drop A and B and a few recommended a baritone, others recommended 25.5" since it was cheaper and can do drop A with 12 gauge without too many problems. One of which was an Instagram page @slipknotfanscovers who I've seen play using a 25.5 and 12s without issue

A "baritone" guitar is baritone only if you tune it that way.
Generally it's a 27-28" scale guitar, but there are folks who tune those to standard as well, and use them that way because the lower strings are more "piano-like" in their clarity.

Scale doesn't determine expense (though it might in 'Strya). I can't speak for Dow Nundah, but we have 27" (and longer) scale guitars available to us for as little as $189 (for example: http://www.rondomusic.com/Baritone_Guitars.html ). Note that some of the guitars in that listing are 28" and even 30" scale guitars and that several of them are 7 and 8-string guitars as well.

While on the subject, have you considered simply playing a 7-string? You can avoid the fuckwithage required to string a 25.5" scale guitar with larger strings by getting a guitar that's already tacked on the low string (two, if you buy an 8). As you can see, they're not very expensive WITH a longer scale (and 7's are available in 25.5" scale AND you can find them in multi-scale instrumengs, AKA fan-frets, as well).