Page 1 of 2
In light of the recent attacks and hgow everyone is politicising the situation, and how it crosses over a whole lot of issues big in the news today, I thought it'd be interesting for people to answer some questions about their world views and how you'd like the authorities to deal with and react to these events.

Is Islam a dangerous ideology that needs to be destroyed?
Do the attackers represent Islam at its "purest" form, or are they just extremists who would have latched onto any ideology to cause these attacks?
Did the refugee crisis cause these attacks?
Did the EU and free movement of people in Europe cause these attacks?
Would you more surveillance by intelligence agencies in France have prevented these attacks?
Are these attacks a result of multiculturalism?

longing rusted furnace daybreak seventeen benign nine homecoming one freight car

I'm not well-read enough to make any sort of informed opinion but my gut feeling is no. There are clearly massive issues with the ultra-conservative section though, and I'm more talking about social issues in places like Iran, Saudi Arabia, Qatar etc rather than trying to get into what contrubutes to extremism. Things like women's rights, homophobia, intolerance of other cultures, a lot of it just seems stuck in the middle ages but then there are similar things in Christianity which haven't been allowed to be taken as far because of secularism. But common sense tells me the vast majority of Muslims live in peace and while they may be offended by other religions they don't actively seek to impose themselves on others.

Do the attackers represent Islam at its "purest" form, or are they just extremists who would have latched onto any ideology to cause these attacks?

I've seen enough quotes of the Quran out of context to assume that someone wanting to fight against the West could quite easily use it to influence others en-masse, which is nothing new in any religion. What's the difference between a Jihad and the Crusades of the middle ages?

Not entirely sure how it could. Was France attacked for letting in refugees or for rejecting them? Or are you talking about ISIS sending agents posing as refugees. The latter point is entirely possible but we have to be careful not to punish genuine refugees just on the basis of that.

Cause? Of course not. Assuming this was done by militant islamists it doesn't make sense they'd be protesting against free movement in Europe. Did it perhaps make it easier to happen and for the attackers to travel to France? Possible but by the same token I'd imagine shared intelligence helps to prevent far more attacks that we don't hear about.

Would you more surveillance by intelligence agencies in France have prevented these attacks?

I don't think there will ever be a 100% failsafe against this type of thing without causing a situation for everyone that would be straight out of a dystopian novel.

No. Everything I've seen so far points to this being caused by an intolerance of a culture, not an acceptance of it. True multiculturalism, from all sides, is the only way to fix this. Unfortunately I highly doubt that is possible due to human mature.

Would also say that much as I believe the leaders of the likes of Al-Qaeda and ISIS use religion to further a different agenda, I also think anti-islamism in the west contributes. If you're a young Muslim in a western country, having people on the street distrust you instinctively based on how you look or act, having the media constantly tell you your people are terrorists and enemies of the west, it really wouldn't take much for you to snap and decide to become what people say you already are anyway.

The solution to all this? I haven't the foggiest.
I'm not going to answer your questions, I'm just posting before the inevitable shitstorm.
Come back if you want to
And remember who you are
‘Cause there's nothing here for you my dear
And everything must pass
Quote by EndTheRapture51
In light of the recent attacks and hgow everyone is politicising the situation, and how it crosses over a whole lot of issues big in the news today, I thought it'd be interesting for people to answer some questions about their world views and how you'd like the authorities to deal with and react to these events.

1. Most ideologies can be exercised to create danger to another person. We can imagine that without it we wouldn't have these problems (as John Lennon put it) but you cannot kill an idea.

2. I don't honestly know enough about Islam to say when you put forward an ideology and allow for varied interpretations then shit can happen. To say someone's interpretation is the right one while someone else's is wrong doesn't really get anywhere. Its something we have to put up with unfortunately.

3. Can't pin the blame on it. Many things can factor into these sorts of things though.

4. Pretty much the same question as 3. But more focused. Life is about reaction. To a degree the issue was linked to the reaction, but not the sole factor responsible.

5. Possibly but there is a price on freedom and this is part of the cost. There is also no guarantee that in a complete panoptic society or any kind of surveillance state that we will ever be invulnerable to acts of terror. It may make it more difficult but people will learn to expose the weaknesses somehow.

6. Not really. One could argue that because the terrorists were there that it could be considered a multi cultured place and if they weren't there then it wouldn't have happened. But in a hypothetical society that is completely one single identity, such terror is just as possible regardless of whether or not there is multiculture. The whole point of such attacks is because we don't agree with their ideologies. They are only trying to do what everyone else is essentially, in that they are acting out on their morals and beliefs of how to live. That is the reaction of life.
Dance in the moonlight my old friend twilight

Quote by metal4eva_22
What's this about ****ing corpses? My UG senses were tingling.
Quote by RAB11

If you're a young Muslim in a western country, having people on the street distrust you instinctively based on how you look or act, having the media constantly tell you your people are terrorists and enemies of the west, it really wouldn't take much for you to snap and decide to become what people say you already are anyway.

Interpellation is the word you're looking for
Dance in the moonlight my old friend twilight

Quote by metal4eva_22
What's this about ****ing corpses? My UG senses were tingling.
Quote by Nero Galon
Interpellation is the word you're looking for

Thanks.

Just radical islam - the people who kill other people cuz of religion. Islam has a much bigger problem with extremism than other religions though.

The attackers represent a particular interpretation of Islam. There is no such thing as a "pure" form.

No, homegrown terrorism connected to terrorist organizations caused the attacks. I would be very surprised if it ended up being an attack perpetrated by refugees. I don't think there's any way to know for sure at the moment, but I wouldn't find it very likely.

No

Maybe. There's no telling what attacks have been prevented around the world through domestic surveillance, but if even one attack was prevented it'd justify the surveillance.

No.
Quote by EndTheRapture51

No. Yes only if we're getting rid of all religions or conforming to one.

highly doubt everyone in one religion could possibly have precisely the same view in the modern world

possibly, but not entirely, not even majorly I'd imagine

potentially, there are good liars in every group of people that can slip through normal screens

Maybe, but see earlier, there will always be those that slip through the cracks unless you let no-one in.

I'd imagine it would depend on the individual.
A poem.
Quote by yoman297
no girl, movember isnt for you. shave your stache pls

I can out-bore you any day
Blaming the free movement of people in the EU is so insane. People can move freely in the US too right?
Quote by Carmel
I can't believe you are whoring yourself out like that.

ಠ_ಠ
No

Extremists who pick and choose passages, read so as to be concordant their their current beliefs

I don't know.

I don't know.

I don't know. People who really want to kill a lot of other people are usually very cautious.

This is a stupid question for countless reasons.
Quote by EndTheRapture51
who pays five hundred fucking dollars for a burger
Even amongst "nice" or "normal" muslims you get people who wear burkas or veils or silly clothing and men with stupid beards. It could do with improvement. It's too backward.

There's plenty of stuff in the quran for extremists to latch on to. Muhammed was a warmongering pedo or some shit, 'nuff said.

Doubt it, ISIS have been going on about fucking up Europe for ages and France is obviously easy pickings because of a large muslim population. And possibly extremists could pretend to be refugees.

There's been rumour for ages that sometimes jihadists were allowed to return home without being imprisoned for being jihadists. Which is stupid. Individual governments are to blame but the EU could have said "don't let jihadis come home you fucking morons"

Would you more surveillance by intelligence agencies in France have prevented these attacks
I bet there was more they could have done, considering Charlie Hebdo and everything

A few hundred years ago there weren't terrorist attacks by muslims in Europe. Because they weren't in Europe. So maybe to a small degree
I have nothing important to say

It's a terrible, fascist ideology, but it doesn't "need to be destroyed". Eventually it'll just be like Christianity. I think there's a danger in equating Islam with terrorism, and there's a different kind of danger in refraining from criticizing Islam.

If this were any other Islamist group, this question would be difficult to answer. But the Islamic State has pretty much stated that it's willing to ignore scripture. They're not interested in interpretation or whether the Koran condones what they're doing. They have the right to kill because they're Sunni and powerful, and that's about it.

The underlying question being whether refugees should be accepted or not. This is a question that can't be answered at face value because we don't know whether they accessed France with a batch of refugees or whether they smuggled themselves in separately.

Questions about sacrifice of freedom for safety is pretty common after a security incident. Not so much in peacetime.

1) What type of surveillance? 2) How would anyone on this forum know the medium through which they communicate to coordinate attacks? 3) Would having more police officers around public property have prevented this attack? Would having more government cameras prevented this attack? Would plainclothes gov't spies have prevented this attack? Would data collection by the NSA have prevented this attack? These are loaded, fearful questions. Terrorist groups are aware of the concept of surveillance.

wat. I know you're basically aggregating questions that represent political controversies (and so they don't represent your opinions), but holy crap what a dumb question
Last edited by ali.guitarkid7 at Nov 14, 2015,
Quote by ali.guitarkid7

wat. I know you're basically aggregating questions that represent political controversies (and so they don't represent your opinions), but holy crap what a dumb question

Dunno I've seen some pretty awful things being said and one of them was that multuculturalism has failed us lefties are reaping what we are sowing by wanting different cultures living together

longing rusted furnace daybreak seventeen benign nine homecoming one freight car
Quote by EndTheRapture51
Dunno I've seen some pretty awful things being said and one of them was that multuculturalism has failed us lefties are reaping what we are sowing by wanting different cultures living together

Well, yeah, that's a pretty dumb opinion. These are people for whom the only two understandable models of multiculturalism are either full assimilation or isolationism.
No.

Neither. They're extremists but their twisted interpretation of religion can't meaningfully be separated from their being Muslims, because they are Muslims. It's possible that if they were Christians they'd have done the same (and such people do exist), but that's all hypothetical in terms of terrorist attacks on the west.

Almost certainly not. Probably a lot more to do with western foreign policy.

Nope.

Not within any reasonable constraints.

No.
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
Youre officially uber shit now.

Quote by StewieSwan
3d9310rd is far more upset than i 

Quote by Bladez22
I'm a moron tho apparently and everyone should listen to you oh wise pretentious one
—Is Islam a dangerous ideology that needs to be destroyed?

No.

—Do the attackers represent Islam at its "purest" form, or are they just extremists who would have latched onto any ideology to cause these attacks?

The second one.

—Did the refugee crisis cause these attacks?

No.

—Did the EU and free movement of people in Europe cause these attacks?

No.

—Would you more surveillance by intelligence agencies in France have prevented these attacks?

No.

—Are these attacks a result of multiculturalism?

No.
Is Islam a dangerous ideology that needs to be destroyed? - No
Do the attackers represent Islam at its "purest" form, or are they just extremists who would have latched onto any ideology to cause these attacks? - Extremists
Did the refugee crisis cause these attacks? - No
Did the EU and free movement of people in Europe cause these attacks? - No
Would you more surveillance by intelligence agencies in France have prevented these attacks? - You accidentally a word
Are these attacks a result of multiculturalism? - No
dirtbag ballet by the bins down the alley
as i walk through the chalet of the shadow of death
everything that you've come to expect

It's really the underlying culture honed from the religion. Too late... no use trying to "destroy" it. Not possible, and does not change the culture.

Any ideology. Just losers who finally figured out a way to ruin everyone else' lives.

Too early to say.

Too early to say.

No.

Yes.

...modes and scales are still useless.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Hey guys could you spare a minute to Vote for my band. Go to the site Search our band Listana with CTRL+F for quick and vote Thank you .
Quote by sam b
Voted for Patron Çıldırdı.

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
Quote by Neo Evil11
Blaming the free movement of people in the EU is so insane. People can move freely in the US too right?

The difference here in the USA is we aren't going to allow millions of people from Islamic countries to just freely flow over the border though some politicians would allow it. Apply for citizenship or a VISA, pass the background test then yes you can move freely and be a part of this country.

Europe brought this on themselves, because multi-culturalism between western and eastern culture doesn't work though some of you refuse to admit that. Europe invited the fox into the hen house.
Quote by LK_revival
multi-culturalism between western and eastern culture doesn't work though some of you refuse to admit that.

Ever heard of the majority of Asia?

not in the least

their version of islam definitely isn't ordinary.

nah

nah

no idea

no. plenty of different cultures around the world live harmoniously under the same government.
Quote by LK_revival
The difference here in the USA is we aren't going to allow millions of people from Islamic countries to just freely flow over the border though some politicians would allow it. Apply for citizenship or a VISA, pass the background test then yes you can move freely and be a part of this country.

Europe brought this on themselves, because multi-culturalism between western and eastern culture doesn't work though some of you refuse to admit that. Europe invited the fox into the hen house.

lol how about all you cracker immigrants apply for a fuckin visa with the natives
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
Youre officially uber shit now.

Quote by StewieSwan
3d9310rd is far more upset than i 

Quote by Bladez22
I'm a moron tho apparently and everyone should listen to you oh wise pretentious one
Quote by K33nbl4d3
lol how about all you cracker immigrants apply for a fuckin visa with the natives

I get it, some of you only to want hear that multi-culture works with Islam and western civilization and that free borders is a enlightened thing to do.

Not to worry though there will be plenty more Islamic terrorist attacks coming in the future so you can yet again derail the obvious in order to hold on to rainbows and unicorns point of view.
Quote by EndTheRapture51

1.) No
2.) Neither, they are Islamic extremists.
3.) Added motive most at least, but blaming the refugees is real low
4.) Added motive
5.) Yes but I don't blame surveillance for the attack.
6.) No
Quote by LK_revival

This is amazing. You're like the personification of self-assured ignorance.
no lol

the latter probably

no

no

possibly, idk

no that's dumb
Quote by jakesmellspoo
ooh look at me i'm ERIKLENSHERR and i work at fancy pants desk jobs and wear ties and ply barely legal girls with weed and booze i'm such a classy motherfucker.

There is a problem with the culture of Islam in certain regions.
For example, I don't think one can say that there is a problem with Islam in Indonesia, which has like 200 million muslims, or with Islam in any other country in the world not part of the problem we are having (like other Asian countries, some African ones perhaps, etc).
The problem with Islam is in certain regions, specially in the Middle East, and in some western countries.

There are certain aspects of Islam that make it "dangerous" when those are believed and practiced. Stuff like Sharia Law, "kill people who stop believing in Islam" and the like. But intrinsically it's no more dangerous than (old testament) Christianity.
The culture that stems from it is "dangerous", or at least bad (in terms of human rights, etc). At this point it makes it hard to differentiate the culture behind it from the actual religion, at least in the context of the Middle East, ISIS, the "war on terror", etc.

They do not represent Islam at its "purest form", but I can't be sure if they are just some people that say "We want to kill people and gain power, let's choose a random religion to do so ... okay Islam it is". Islam is ingrained in their culture and I doubt they'd have "latched" into another religion/ideology to do what they are doing. Like, if suddenly the Middle East turned into a great place and everybody was at peace, I doubt a group like ISIS would be able to gain power just by changing their "ideology".

How exactly could a refugee crisis cause these attacks? These people are the ones actually escaping groups like ISIS and the like, and they are receiving help in European countries. Unless there is a very complex issue we don't know of with France and the refugees, that somehow makes some of these organize in this manner to perform these attacks, I very doubt this is the case.

What is "free movement of people in Europe"? You mean the ability for anybody to move anywhere they want if they are European?
I don't know how you could say this is any kind of cause for this attack. At worst it could be a factor that made an attack like this easier to happen in the EU, but I think looking at this as a possible cause is not focusing on the actual problem.

Would more surveillance by intelligence agencies in France have prevented these attacks?

I don't know the exact situation. Did these people straight up buy guns in France and planned their attack in a public park? Then maybe France could have done something. Did these people communicate in a way that could be intercepted by intelligence agencies and prevented? Then maybe yeah.
But I think it's dangerous to straight up jump into the "we need more surveillance" camp so quickly. This can lead to aggressive invasion of privacy and spying like the NSA in France and the EU which may even not have any effect at all.

There is a problem with how certain cultures clash with the western one in some countries. The problem is not just "multiculturalism", the problem is these countries not trying to make these cultures get along. If you are in France/USA/etc and only see muslims as this pest that can only cause problems, then if you have muslims in your country things won't be that great.
The correct thing to do is integrate these muslims into your society in a way that makes them just another regular citizen of your country. Won't have people fleeing to join ISIS or have "terrorists cells" and the like then.

I would seriously consider having policies to "educate" and "integrate" muslims inside western countries. Muslims in western countries need to know that nobody has anything against them, that the fight against ISIS, and even some regimes in the Middle East has nothing to do with an attack on Islam alone and instead is an attack on horrible groups of people that are hurting innocent people, destroying historical monuments, disallowing basic human rights, etc.
Quote by EndTheRapture51

no to all of those

edit: except the surveillance one that I'm unsure of
Last edited by slipknot5678 at Nov 14, 2015,
look, this is my worldview. it's these people handing out pathetic platitudes on the internet that are the real problem. just a insincere hollow gesture because of an "event".

Honestly...I don't like it at all.
Quote by EndTheRapture51

1. Islam is not inherently more dangerous than Christianity, Judaism, Shinto, or many ancient belief systems that are no longer around or mainstream. It's just that Islam is highly prevalent where there is backward culture.

2. I don't like the notion that any religion is more or less pure based on how strict it follows code or how extreme it is. All ways to follow a religion are based on interpretation, extremist or not. It's a little of both though. They are both extremists latching to religion as an excuse for violence and would likely be able to find other factors for being violent (political, etc), but religion is still the basis for these things.

3. While it's possible terrorists could have manipulated the good will of aid to refugees, one should keep in mind it's not the fault of refugees, and if it were to be the case, this doesn't necessarily stand as a good moral grounds to reject those in need trying to escape this very shit.

4. Cause, no, but it probably made it easier.

5. They would have just found a more direct way to attack if they couldn't sneak in.

6. Fragmentation in culture would only make things worse.
Quote by beadhangingOne
What happened to Snake?

Snake?

Snake?

SNAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAKE?!

Quote by TunerAddict
you can take my mouse and keyboard from my cold, slightly orange from cheetos, dead fingers

Quote by Baby Joel
Isis is amazing
Quote by ali.guitarkid7
It's a terrible, fascist ideology, but it doesn't "need to be destroyed". Eventually it'll just be like Christianity. I think there's a danger in equating Islam with terrorism, and there's a different kind of danger in refraining from criticizing Islam.

"eventually it'll just be like christianity" isn't exactly a positive. christianity is a negative force.
Quote by Thrashtastic15
"eventually it'll just be like christianity" isn't exactly a positive. christianity is a negative force.

I didn't mean that as a positive. Christianity just isn't as predatory or volatile anymore. I can hope that secular communities and Muslims themselves will begin to look at and criticize Islam in the same ways Christianity gets criticized.

The primary reason I think Islam is more 'dangerous' than Christianity is because it presents itself as perfect. There's a desire to use flowery bullshit like "Islam is a religion of peace" and "Islam is perfect, Muslims are not" in response to these incidents. This is the same as people who say stuff like "Jesus loves all his children".

If Islam is perfect, then you can't criticize it, and any negative action a Muslim undertakes cannot possibly be religiously motivated. That's why I hope it becomes like Christianity someday. Christians do this same shit too, but it gets dismissed pretty quickly by atheists and Christians alike.
Quote by ali.guitarkid7
I didn't mean that as a positive. Christianity just isn't as predatory or volatile anymore. I can hope that secular communities and Muslims themselves will begin to look at and criticize Islam in the same ways Christianity gets criticized.

The primary reason I think Islam is more 'dangerous' than Christianity is because it presents itself as perfect. There's a desire to use flowery bullshit like "Islam is a religion of peace" and "Islam is perfect, Muslims are not" in response to these incidents. This is the same as people who say stuff like "Jesus loves all his children".

If Islam is perfect, then you can't criticize it, and any negative action a Muslim undertakes cannot possibly be religiously motivated. That's why I hope it becomes like Christianity someday. Christians do this same shit too, but it gets dismissed pretty quickly by atheists and Christians alike.

yeah
Quote by ali.guitarkid7

It's always interesting to see your views on Islam

One thing I think where progressives have got it wrong is decrying every criticism of Islam as "Islamophobia". When you put it in an historical context, Christianity didn't get to where it is now by being an unyielding force and I think if you look throughout history you'll see religions changes to remain relevant through the times.

Christianity is mostly regarded as a joke nowadays. Not my opinion on it - just that the internet seems to view it as this benign lump that's been cured of malignancy. I guess there's Breivik but his internal beliefs were skirted around for various reasons.

Ironic, considering its history.

I've not read loads of the Qur'an but there seem to be many contradictory readings, and even contradictory passages.
Quote by EndTheRapture51
who pays five hundred fucking dollars for a burger
Quote by ali.guitarkid7

I'd like to point out the Westboro Baptist Church and all those Christian Neo-Nazis.

an even smaller splinter, but still
A poem.
Quote by yoman297
no girl, movember isnt for you. shave your stache pls

I can out-bore you any day
Page 1 of 2