I picked up a Vox AC10 a few weeks ago, and love it. It's exactly right for the jangle-pop and slightly driven tones that I use most frequently, and it takes pedals well enough that I can get good fuzz tones, a nice solid crunch sound running a Rat into it, and even some good ambient kind of sounds with a bit of chorus, the amp's reverb, and an EBow. That's the range of what I play most often, and I'm really happy with how it handles that.

But every now and then I do like to play some heavier stuff, along the lines of early Metallica, Megadeth, the more recent Solstafir albums, Sabbath, or Alice in Chains, and that's not exactly something my amp will do well.

So I'm looking for something that'll cover reasonably well the range of tones my Vox isn't doing. Cleans aren't really important, because I've got that taken care of. I'm just a bedroom hobbyist, not gigging, not recording, so it doesn't have to be incredible, I just want a little more lifelike than my current backup amp, a Peavey Vypyr 30, is giving me.

I'm not looking to spend much more than $300 (although I could maybe push to the $400 range, especially if it's ebay or some other vendor that takes paypal). I'm definitely willing to go used, and the nearest cities are Charleston and Columbia, in South Carolina (I've been browsing Craigslist; nothing's really caught my eye, but maybe I'm missing something.)

One option I've thought about, since the AC10 takes pedals so well, is, rather than getting a second amp, get a Sansamp (maybe their Mesa or Marshall emulator?) and run it in to change up the tone when I want that. If anybody has any experience with those, I'd love to hear about it. They sound pretty good to me on Youtube demos, and budget-wise that'd probably be my favored solution, but I know "sounds fine in a demo through laptop speakers" is not always the same as "sounds good in person,"and I haven't had a chance to try any of them out yet.

Thanks so much for any input!
I see Peavey 6505+ 112 combos for under $400 often on my local craigslist. You'll want Green channel with the crunch button for most of that.

A better modeller may be a better option, especially if your Orange has a loop. The Line6 POD HD500X used is about $300. If you don't have a loop then run it into the cleanest setting you have or pickup some powered monitor speakers and/or headphones.
Guitars:
Jackson Kelly KE3 - MIJ (Distortion/Jazz)
Jackson DKMGT Dinky (EMG 81/85)
ESP E-II Eclipse Custom (JB/'59)
ESP LTD EC-1001FR (EMG 81/60)
Fender MIM Strat

Amps:
Mesa/Boogie Dual Rectifier Roadster 212
Laney IronHeart IRT-Studio
Peavey Vypyr 30
Peavey ReValver Amp Sims
TOOOO many T.C. Electronic Pedals. . .
I just bought a Peavy Vypyr Vip 2 its a modeling amp with 1 12" speaker. I got it for $200 and it can do Metallica and Megadeth tones and even more extreme metal tones. Also it has good cleans if you dont feel like switching amps. Its a really good bargain and it gets really loud.
Don't buy a Peavey Vypyr, modeling amps don't sound very good for live situations. For $300-400 you can get a Bugera 333 Infinium half stack. It is a beast and is a tube amp, this one is able to take 6L6 or EL34 so if you want that British Marshall tone or a new modern tone, you'll have it! There is a really nice clean channel, a pretty heavy rhythm channel, and a REALLY heavy lead channel. There is also reverb for each channel, as well as independent gain, volume, and EQ. I've had mine for over a year and no regrets at all!
Baby Joel's rabbit profile picture is kinda cute. #TeamJOEL
Quote by PiercedBand
Don't buy a Peavey Vypyr, modeling amps don't sound very good for live situations

Well that's just a too broad generalisation. Plenty of artists have been using modeling tech for about two decades with great success. Modelers are sometimes more reliable than tube amps, too

And then there's the fact that OP stated that they are not going to play live.
...Also that I already have a Vypyr, and was looking for something that just sounded a little more natural.

Two used 6505s on Craigslist in reasonable driving distance, but one's just a head they're asking $1100 for (which is outrageous, that's more than they go for new), and the other is a half stack, but they're asking $600, and I don't see them coming down enough to make that work for me. Also I'm not really worried about it being overkill (the Vox can get louder than I'll ever run it), but space is kind of a concern with a half stack.

I checked out the Micro Dark and that actually does seem like it would work pretty well, so thanks for that suggestion. I'm going to keep an eye out for used stuff, but if nothing crops up soon I might go with that.
Look at Guitar Center's Used section of their site. Very reasonable shipping with a 30-day return policy.
Guitars:
Jackson Kelly KE3 - MIJ (Distortion/Jazz)
Jackson DKMGT Dinky (EMG 81/85)
ESP E-II Eclipse Custom (JB/'59)
ESP LTD EC-1001FR (EMG 81/60)
Fender MIM Strat

Amps:
Mesa/Boogie Dual Rectifier Roadster 212
Laney IronHeart IRT-Studio
Peavey Vypyr 30
Peavey ReValver Amp Sims
TOOOO many T.C. Electronic Pedals. . .
You can probably find a Peavey Windsor in that price range, and it'd fit the bill for you at a reasonable price.
Quote by Jyrgen
Well that's just a too broad generalisation. Plenty of artists have been using modeling tech for about two decades with great success.

Yeah, those are most likely very expensive and high quality modelers! Not a $200 amp combo!
Baby Joel's rabbit profile picture is kinda cute. #TeamJOEL
jcmmdsl2000 combo? Jet city, i had the 100, i think the 50 is the same just smaller. they should have combos, with an OD is also pretty solid. both can be found used for around there
Splawn Street Rod
H&K Tubemeister 5
Line 6 G90 System

Gibson SG Standard
Godin Radiator
Dillion 653 GA/3CT
Seagull Coastline s6
New Music on Spotify
I would second the Bugera 333 recommendation. Or, if you want to push for the real thing, a Peavey XXX. Perfect for thrash, with 3 flexible channels toboot. I personally own the Bugera 333, and its a good amp for youre situation, but so many people freak out about the quality control. Either of those amps you could surely find for $300, and they are both really good IMO. If you have any money left over, consider buying a boost/TS for either one
Quote by suckmahnuts
Watterboy, I love you.

Quote by davrossss
You are now my favourite person on UG.....You write cool shit.

Quote by wannabestoner69

do you really need another amp?
a lot of pedals will do what you are looking for
Prs se Holcomb is the answer
I would look into a pedal and just run that through your clean channel. If you really want another amp I'd look at Jet City, good bang for your buck.