Hey guys, so basically the title says it all. I'm trying to run 2 amps to a single cab. I want to see what all my options may be. The ones I'm currently aware of is to buy a tonebone headbone or a diamond amp switcher which are specifically designed to switch between two heads. The other option I'm aware of is to rewire the cabinet itself to make it stereo so you can just a/b your guitar to the amps, only problem I see with this is that I am using a 2x12 so it would be 1 speaker per amp.

Could someone please explain to me the reason why you can't just a/b the two amps leading to the cabinet? People just say you will blow the amps/cab but give no explanation.

I'm trying to run a orange micro terror and the orange micro dark to a laney irt 212.

Any help appreciated!!
You can't have two amps running into one another. That can damage either or both amps, cause groundloops, etc.
You need to maintain a load on any tube amp that's not actively pushing a speaker. That can result in damage to your amp.

You can't simply A/B them. The switching needs to lift one amp from the speaker, add a load to that amp, and then switch the second amp off the switcher's load onto the speaker. It's *like* A/B-ing them, but with provisions to isolate transformers and prevent damage.

Tonebone will give you more complete information if you ask them. Their website offers:

Features include 100% discrete class-A circuitry for exceptional audio performance, transformer isolated guitar signal path to eliminate ground loops, plus a choice of either buffered or un-buffered inputs to optimize the signal path. The Headbone's internal switching comprises a series of relays, opto-couplers and load resistors, all of which are sequenced via a digitally programmed chip. Hit the footswitch and the Headbone jumps to action as it toggles the guitar signal from one amp to the other, disconnects the speaker and diverts the signal to a load resister, reconnects the speaker to the second head and turns the guitar back on - all in quick succession. The Headbone features SafeMode™ whereby in the event that power is disconnected - the Headbone's guitar input will automatically turn off.

Setting up the cabinet to run a single 12" speaker per head isn't a problem given the amps you have and the power handling your cabinet offers, and it would allow you to A/B/Y (either or both heads at once) in *front* of the amps with a relatively inexpensive pedal.
I know SRV had a two amp situation while recording but you might possibly be over thinking it. Maybe work on song writing a little more than gear. Bob Dylan/Kurt Cobain.

no offense bc i geek out on gear too
1. The SG stands for “solid guitar.”
those two options you named are pretty much the only ones that id use. messing around with cabs and trying to isolate speakers spells disaster to me. go the safe rout and drop the coin for the tonebone.
Live Rig
Michael Kelly Custom Shop Plum Telecaster
Michael Kelly Custom Shop Plum Patriot

EVH 5153 50w
Jet City 2x12
Custom Board

It is NOT trash metal it is tHrash metal...get it right
What dspellman said.

You always need to have the amp connected to a load, or you'll roast it.

The only way to do it, is either wire a jack to each speaker so that each amp is hooked up to single speaker, or get 2 cabs. You would need an a/b/y box either way. If you go the route of a single speaker per amp, ensure that the speaker can handle the amp.
Guitars:
PRS Custom 24
Gibson Les Paul 60's Tribute
85' MIJ Strat
97' Snakepit Les Paul
LP Traditional 1960 Zebra
MIJ Tele
MIA Strat

Amps:
Silver Jubilee 2525
Peavey Ultra 112
Jet City JCA50H
66' Bassman
Pink Paisley Princeton RV
74' Vibro Champ
Either separate cabs, or stereo cabs are the easiest ways to go. Just make sure that the impedance is correct/within spec.
May i know the specifications of your amplifiers and your cable?
Also what interface is used by the cable?
Is your source is able to deliver the power to two Amps?

pcb manufacturer
Last edited by AshHeeger at Dec 23, 2015,
Quote by AshHeeger
May i know the specifications of your amplifiers and your cable?
Also what interface is used by the cable?
Is your source is able to deliver the power to two Amps?

This thread is over a month old dude...
Guitars:
PRS Custom 24
Gibson Les Paul 60's Tribute
85' MIJ Strat
97' Snakepit Les Paul
LP Traditional 1960 Zebra
MIJ Tele
MIA Strat

Amps:
Silver Jubilee 2525
Peavey Ultra 112