Anyone else cringing HARD at the new facebook 'France Tribute' profile campaign

Page 1 of 4
I have nothing but sympathy for our gallic brethren, but holy chit, almost EVERYONE I see on facebook has adopted the French tricolor as the background for their profile pic.

This is on the same level as that gay rainbow flag bullchit.

Just another trend for them to follow.

I bet 90% of these sheep have not given a seconds thought to what happened in France.
It doesn't make me mad. It's always difficult to parse out the the social justice warriors doing it for brownie points, from those who are just showing condolences.

I am kinda sick of the symbolic gestures in isolation though: All talk, no action, and complete failure to recognize the issue with integrating antithetic cultures.
Quote by jrcsgtpeppers
There shall be a stop to this madness. The battle is not over. My tasty licks aren't going anywhere.

Quote by The_Blode
^ I've just realised if you say Simple Plan's 2011 effort "Get Your Heart On!" really fast in a Southern American accent, it sounds gross. . .like sexual gross!

Quote by Necroheadbanger
Hello.
I'm looking for professional bongo-ists and triangle-ists to make a Progressive Technical Brutal Death Metal band
(will be called AxOxJxLxAxIxVxXxUxWxZxQxUxRxWxGxJxSxAxLxKxMxNxHxUxGxAxAxWxVxCxBxZxVx)
(Don't even ask what it means)

https://soundcloud.com/95dank

btw i was pretty much deactivated from fb for like 7 months until yesterday, because i just had to post some concert pics... then i see this trend
Quote by jrcsgtpeppers
There shall be a stop to this madness. The battle is not over. My tasty licks aren't going anywhere.

Quote by The_Blode
^ I've just realised if you say Simple Plan's 2011 effort "Get Your Heart On!" really fast in a Southern American accent, it sounds gross. . .like sexual gross!

Quote by Necroheadbanger
Hello.
I'm looking for professional bongo-ists and triangle-ists to make a Progressive Technical Brutal Death Metal band
(will be called AxOxJxLxAxIxVxXxUxWxZxQxUxRxWxGxJxSxAxLxKxMxNxHxUxGxAxAxWxVxCxBxZxVx)

Quote by chrismendiola
um

ok

thx 4 ur thoughts

agreed
Quote by Trowzaa
I wish I was American.

~ A Rolling Potato Gathers No Moss ~
Quote by grouchpunk08
x2

x4
Dance in the moonlight my old friend twilight

Quote by metal4eva_22
What's this about ****ing corpses? My UG senses were tingling.
belongs in the bellend thread
[img]http://i.imgur.com/LYZyCdp.gif[/img]

Quote by CrossBack7
Momie's like not even a real person, just an asian, lesbian spirit.
I didn't read your OP because fuck you but yes I find it to be incredibly insincere.
Quote by EndTheRapture51
who pays five hundred fucking dollars for a burger
Quote by Momentosis
belongs in the bellend thread

you belong in the bellend thread
Quote by jrcsgtpeppers

Quote by The_Blode

Quote by Necroheadbanger
Hello.

I kind of agree with you TS

Random French person: "Someone I love got killed last night, but it's OK, because people on social media have changed their profile pics and posted a status with a hashtag in it! I feel so much better now!"

99% certain nobody who lost someone last night is in any way helped by this stuff
I have nothing important to say
Pretty much yeah.
Quote by jakesmellspoo
ooh look at me i'm ERIKLENSHERR and i work at fancy pants desk jobs and wear ties and ply barely legal girls with weed and booze i'm such a classy motherfucker.
No bother mate
The plan was to drink until the pain over.
But what's worse, the pain or the hangover?
Who am I? I'm a titan so be expectin' a clash.
Quote by JackSaints
I kind of agree with you TS

Random French person: "Someone I love got killed last night, but it's OK, because people on social media have changed their profile pics and posted a status with a hashtag in it! I feel so much better now!"

99% certain nobody who lost someone last night is in any way helped by this stuff

Quote by jrcsgtpeppers

Quote by The_Blode

Quote by Necroheadbanger
Hello.

I'll be honest... yes it's pretty cringey.

I can see why you go your own way.

...modes and scales are still useless.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Hey guys could you spare a minute to Vote for my band. Go to the site Search our band Listana with CTRL+F for quick and vote Thank you .
Quote by sam b
Voted for Patron Çıldırdı.

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
Holy shit something k.lainad has said that I actually agree with.
Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
I also have to do that. Cottaging this weekend
Honestly I think it doesn't make any difference at all. That being said though, I've still participated in it because I have this feeling that if I don't do anything at all people might assume I don't care at all, and being dark and hairy just makes it more likely that people will take my silence as an implicit support of those actions.

I was born and raised in America yet people still question my allegiances and whether I support extremism on the grounds of faith so I feel like I have more of an obligation than your standard white American to be vocal in my condemnation, even if that only amounts to a Facebook profile picture change.

Because it was extremists who chased my family out from their home country, and it was extremists who have killed and targeted other relatives of mine. So I do sympathize, regardless of whether people can tell and regardless of the fact that the way I show it is a way in which is deemed insincere by some.
Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Holy shit something k.lainad has said that I actually agree with.

theres a first time for everything, sonny
Quote by jrcsgtpeppers

Quote by The_Blode

Quote by Necroheadbanger
Hello.

Quote by Amuro Jay at #33682411
Honestly I think it doesn't make any difference at all. That being said though, I've still participated in it because I have this feeling that if I don't do anything at all people might assume I don't care at all, and being dark and hairy just makes it more likely that people will take my silence as an implicit support of those actions.

So let knuckleheads be knuckleheads
Quote by jakesmellspoo
ooh look at me i'm ERIKLENSHERR and i work at fancy pants desk jobs and wear ties and ply barely legal girls with weed and booze i'm such a classy motherfucker.
No. It's a way to show support and empathy for those that have lost loved ones and solidarity with a country that has undergone a huge shock. No-one thinks it's 'helping' in any practical way, but that's not what it's about. It's a visual and public way of being supportive of those that need it. If you can't understand that, you've got some deep-seated issues.
Not that bothered. Idk what else you want people to be doing. Bit different to the lgbt thing because you can do things about that. These people can't bring back anyone.

At times like this i don't really care how people try and show some solidarity
Quote by BelowTheSun
No. It's a way to show support and empathy for those that have lost loved ones and solidarity with a country that has undergone a huge shock. No-one thinks it's 'helping' in any practical way, but that's not what it's about. It's a visual and public way of being supportive of those that need it. If you can't understand that, you've got some deep-seated issues.

Pretty much.. As if anyone who changes their profile picture is sitting there thinking "well, I sure did my part to help the families of those who were hurt or lost their lives. Good for me." Its a solidarity thing.
The plan was to drink until the pain over.
But what's worse, the pain or the hangover?
Who am I? I'm a titan so be expectin' a clash.
Quote by ErikLensherr
So let knuckleheads be knuckleheads

Fair enough, it's easy enough to do that on the Internet, but when you have knuckleheads in real life you get restaurant owners being burned alive and Sikh temples being shot up and armed rallies with people "exercising their rights" to point guns at mosques and worshipers.

Few days before the 9/11 anniversary a Sikh man was ran off the road and beaten bloody by someone saying things like "go back to your country terrorist" etc literally around the corner from where I live.

I mean you're right, on the Internet it's not as important, but I can't shake that mentality so easily.
doesn't really show support tho does it

it's a hollow social token

if you want to raise awareness and/or help a situation like that, at least write something on it that goes further than a Daily Mail-tier comment of "such terrible events tonight my thoughts with all those who are there"

before they return to playing CoD or watching shit on Netflix.

the modern man is inactive but judging, arbitrary in morality and full of lies.

but hey what does it matter - it's hardly the worst thing to judge.
Quote by EndTheRapture51
Last edited by Banjocal at Nov 14, 2015,
I really don't see the big deal at all or why this bothers you. People are showing support. Or, if you don't want to call it support, they are at least showing that they are thinking of the victims/their families. Regardless of how true you think their feelings may be, they certainly aren't hurting anyone. Outside of donating to some select charities, most people aren't really in a position to do anything about the attacks, other than find some way to show they at least acknowledge and resent them. Facebook is an easy way to do it.

Now if someone were to start acting like they were better than other people who didn't change their picture, then I could see why you would be bothered.
Last edited by MeGaDeth2314 at Nov 14, 2015,
Anything Lainad doesn't like is something I support, so I'm good with it.
THE FORUM UPDATE KILLED THE GRADIENT STAR

Baltimore Orioles: 2014 AL Eastern Division Champions, 2017: 73-78
Baltimore Ravens: 2012 World Champions, 2017: 2-0
2017 NFL Pick 'Em: 24-7
Quote by Banjocal
doesn't really show support tho does it

it's a hollow social token

if you want to raise awareness and/or help a situation like that, at least write something on it that goes further than a Daily Mail-tier comment of "such terrible events tonight my thoughts with all those who are there"

before they return to playing CoD or watching shit on Netflix.

the modern man is inactive but judging, arbitrary in morality and full of lies.

but hey what does it matter - it's hardly the worst thing to judge.

You're the worst

Go back to your undergrad Neitzsche classes
My God, it's full of stars!
Quote by necrosis1193
Anything Lainad doesn't like is something I support, so I'm good with it.

Quote by jrcsgtpeppers

Quote by The_Blode

Quote by Necroheadbanger
Hello.

Quote by Dreadnought
You're the worst

that post really was the worst
Quote by Amuro Jay at #33682436
Fair enough, it's easy enough to do that on the Internet, but when you have knuckleheads in real life you get restaurant owners being burned alive and Sikh temples being shot up and armed rallies with people "exercising their rights" to point guns at mosques and worshipers.

Few days before the 9/11 anniversary a Sikh man was ran off the road and beaten bloody by someone saying things like "go back to your country terrorist" etc literally around the corner from where I live.

I mean you're right, on the Internet it's not as important, but I can't shake that mentality so easily.

If they're prejudiced enough to beat or burn some guy just because they're brown they're not gonna be swayed by small gestures like changing your fb background.

Also you should consider moving somewhere civilized.
Quote by jakesmellspoo
Doesn't bother me that much, but I sorta agree with TS. It looks a bit trendy and insincere.
Quote by Dreadnought
You're the worst

I don't study and don't like Nietzsche all that much Many of his ideas concerning morality that aren't deconstructing its subjectivity are laughably broken.

I simply don't see much sincerity in people's supposed concerns, considering how they act before and after photoshopping a flag over their profile image. There's occasionally small talk but I see little value in it, filled with platitudes and social pressures

plus, y'know, most of us just as easily skim over the genocides and mass deaths in countries further afar. I don't exclude myself from that.
Quote by EndTheRapture51
Last edited by Banjocal at Nov 14, 2015,
Quote by BelowTheSun

I'm going to change my icon to a croissant so people who lost loved ones in the terrorist attack yesterday are comforted.
Quote by jrcsgtpeppers

Quote by The_Blode

Quote by Necroheadbanger
Hello.

I changed mine for the gay thing becayse I was actually supporting a cause. Everyone on facebook that I have is appalled by the attacks so Im not going to bother this time. I did write a facebook post about it though so I guess its w/e
Follow Da Herd Like A Good Boy
Quote by jrcsgtpeppers

Quote by The_Blode

Quote by Necroheadbanger
Hello.

It's a hollow gesture to show "support" and that you "care" about an event. Don't like it at all really.

I don't have any French people on Facebook or anyone affected by the tragedy so deem it unnecessary.

Don't need to change my profile picture to show I care about world events.

longing rusted furnace daybreak seventeen benign nine homecoming one freight car
Page 1 of 4