Hey, so listen a few seconds of this 0:45 to 1:25, or 1:52 to 2:25 (guitar solo), since those sections have the most going on.

https://soundcloud.com/7dingleberry8/quiest-desperation-2-buried-beneathe-the-stars

I've been playing guitar for 8 years now, and I first got an audio interface 5 years ago, but haven't really been learning about any mixing stuff until the passed 2-3 years. I'm pretty pleased with it, but to me it sounds so empty and thin during the rhythms after the song starts. It could be that I'm just too close to the mix, so I'm hearing things that nobody else does, which is why I want to know if this is satisfactory to other's ears..
Also, there's no compression (because it's something I haven't learned to use). So this is all panning, EQ, and some stereo enhancing on the guitars.
What I'm loving about this is on the drum VSTi (EzDrummer Metal!), I boosted the bass of the kick around 200, and the snare around 400. Than I let the bass guitar sit above the drums rather than beneath it in that sub spectrum. I usually put the bass below, and it always sounded muddy to me, so I love how the kick sounds.
Anyways, I'm just rather new at this, and been working hard for the passed few years trying to learn how to mix and master my own songs.
So if you take the time to listen, I appreciate it

I'm not trying to promote my music, that day will come when I think I have a good mix for our EP. Until than, opinions and advice is what I need.
Last edited by Frankieanime78 at Nov 14, 2015,
I think it sounds great as a mix. Everything's there, tone's good. It does sound a little thin, but it could be the limitations of your gear or that it's in compressed format (can't remember what soundcloud uses). Maybe play around with some mastering stuff like EQ, exciters, etc, until it sounds more to your liking. Don't mess with it too much though!
Great playing, good recording.

Usually when working with drum samples you spare yourself a lot of mixing, but it has it's disadvantages. Also in song like this you don't have many instruments that could work against each other, so if you find the sound you like before recording that's pretty much it. Guitar amps also take care of the compression (I usually love what tubes do here), so there's no need to compress it, especially if it's distorted.

Everything else is just a matter of liking. I think it works, sounds raw and, for me, that suits the style.

If you want advice I'd recommend putting cymbals louder. When actually recording drums it's very very rare to have them so quiet. That's something that I think could definitely improve what you have here.
I'd recommend also putting snare a bit louder, I definitely miss some presence there. That's the only thing in your mix that probably needs some eq.
I think your drums here are to clean though... It sounds like a drum machine, which I don't find the best for this style. Usually helps to automate velocity a little (wouldn't suggest it on the kick though).
Also you can help yourself with a reverb, to put drums in some kind of room. I don't mean a lot of reverb or something obvious, just put them in a relatively bigger room, so the listener can imagine it.

I'm probably listening to the song for the 5th time now and actually there is something that bothers me. For me your mix lacks a lot of high end. Putting cymbals louder can really help you here... Maybe you can pull something out of guitars as well?

When I was listening to it for the first time it worked really well for me, I think you're close.

Gasper
Last edited by BubbletAtNight at Nov 14, 2015,
Quote by BubbletAtNight
Great playing, good recording.

Usually when working with drum samples you spare yourself a lot of mixing, but it has it's disadvantages. Also in song like this you don't have many instruments that could work against each other, so if you find the sound you like before recording that's pretty much it. Guitar amps also take care of the compression (I usually love what tubes do here), so there's no need to compress it, especially if it's distorted.

Everything else is just a matter of liking. I think it works, sounds raw and, for me, that suits the style.

If you want advice I'd recommend putting cymbals louder. When actually recording drums it's very very rare to have them so quiet. That's something that I think could definitely improve what you have here.
I'd recommend also putting snare a bit louder, I definitely miss some presence there. That's the only thing in your mix that probably needs some eq.
I think your drums here are to clean though... It sounds like a drum machine, which I don't find the best for this style. Usually helps to automate velocity a little (wouldn't suggest it on the kick though).
Also you can help yourself with a reverb, to put drums in some kind of room. I don't mean a lot of reverb or something obvious, just put them in a relatively bigger room, so the listener can imagine it.

I'm probably listening to the song for the 5th time now and actually there is something that bothers me. For me your mix lacks a lot of high end. Putting cymbals louder can really help you here... Maybe you can pull something out of guitars as well?

When I was listening to it for the first time it worked really well for me, I think you're close.

Gasper

Thank you, I appreciate the long and thorough thoughts But yea, I also know what you mean about how everything seems couped up in the low end. I just don't understand how professional producers can take a basic set of drums, bass and 2 guitar and make it sound so full. I feel when I pump the guitars a bit, the fizz comes out.

But what you said about the room makes me think about what kind of sound I'm thinking of. It really does just sound dry, as if it's just in a tight space, so making it feel like it's in a space where there's space might fill the gap I can never seem to get passed..

I know about the velocity thing. The problem is with the drum kit, is if it isn't on max velocity (the snare), it sounds like crap. It goes from being hit as hard as possible to light taps. Than there's little to no difference from 126 and down other than volume.. It does sound really mechanical though, so I'm gonna humanize it a bit, and add reverb to the dums. Luckily it has a decent room/reverb adjustment build in.
I'm definitely going to eq the cymbals so they sit on top nicely, and increase the volume too.
These kinds of things I wouldn't hear unless I was specifically looking for them. It's always good to have another set of ears, I'm always just mixing alone, so the feedback is appreciated Thanks
Quote by pushingthrough
Solid! I think you did a great job. Sounds pretty professional. i dig the song.

Thank you, appreciate the kind words I spend too much time thinking my mixes will never sound, so compliment really goes a long way making me feel like I must be on the right track :b
Quote by Leather Sleeves
I think it sounds great as a mix. Everything's there, tone's good. It does sound a little thin, but it could be the limitations of your gear or that it's in compressed format (can't remember what soundcloud uses). Maybe play around with some mastering stuff like EQ, exciters, etc, until it sounds more to your liking. Don't mess with it too much though!

Thanks, appreciate it I'm using a M-Audio Fast Track USB. Guitar just goes straight in. I have a tube pre-amp I use specifically for the phantom power on one of my mics, do you think putting that before the guitar signal hits the interface it would juice up the signal? I have no idea how pre-amps work, like I said I just got it for phantom power when I didn't have any other options at the time I was looking for one.
Quote by Frankieanime78
Thanks, appreciate it I'm using a M-Audio Fast Track USB. Guitar just goes straight in. I have a tube pre-amp I use specifically for the phantom power on one of my mics, do you think putting that before the guitar signal hits the interface it would juice up the signal? I have no idea how pre-amps work, like I said I just got it for phantom power when I didn't have any other options at the time I was looking for one.

It would be worth a try if it's a decent pre-amp. Tube "adds something" to your tone pretty much where ever you place it in the chain should help.
How are you recording the drums? Do you have a drum machine or are you literally using like 8 mics to record? If youre using a machine or you are sick of actually recording drums, what you can do is piece together free drum samples kinda like what EZDrummer or Drumagog would do, and you can still have the complexity even though it would be a lot of work, but it wont sound so clean anymore, it'll sound like studio recorded drums. Having the right drum quality makes the entire song sound completely different, so I would suggest looking into that.
Quote by Frankieanime78
Hey, so listen a few seconds of this 0:45 to 1:25, or 1:52 to 2:25 (guitar solo), since those sections have the most going on.

https://soundcloud.com/7dingleberry8/quiest-desperation-2-buried-beneathe-the-stars

I've been playing guitar for 8 years now, and I first got an audio interface 5 years ago, but haven't really been learning about any mixing stuff until the passed 2-3 years. I'm pretty pleased with it, but to me it sounds so empty and thin during the rhythms after the song starts. It could be that I'm just too close to the mix, so I'm hearing things that nobody else does, which is why I want to know if this is satisfactory to other's ears..
Also, there's no compression (because it's something I haven't learned to use). So this is all panning, EQ, and some stereo enhancing on the guitars.
What I'm loving about this is on the drum VSTi (EzDrummer Metal!), I boosted the bass of the kick around 200, and the snare around 400. Than I let the bass guitar sit above the drums rather than beneath it in that sub spectrum. I usually put the bass below, and it always sounded muddy to me, so I love how the kick sounds.
Anyways, I'm just rather new at this, and been working hard for the passed few years trying to learn how to mix and master my own songs.
So if you take the time to listen, I appreciate it

I'm not trying to promote my music, that day will come when I think I have a good mix for our EP. Until than, opinions and advice is what I need.

That's a solid mix. The only thing that popped out to me was the background creepy guitar being too low during an early transition part ( it's quite buried in the mix) - I would crank that up to give the arrangement a bit more variety.

Great tune - well done!

Don't worry too much about the drums. They're fake, so they're not much that can be done- just keep them as is. A real drummer would improve the tune, but the guitars are awesome enough to keep the attention where it belongs.
Last edited by reverb66 at Nov 27, 2015,
Here are my 2 or 200c

The drums are way too high in the mix and the guitars feel kind of separate from the rest of the production, like drums and guitar reside in different space.

Creepy guitars are too low in the mix.

Some nice harmonies that reminds me of early Swedish melodeath, cool.

Can't feel the bass doing much. On the doubled melody line it could be nice to fill in the empty spaces with a few bass runs or just rhythm going through it at it seemed bit empty to me, or formulaic.

Overall, good job, I would just try to marry the drums and guitars a bit with some IR room ambience mixed in low on a paralel bus.
I agree with diabolical, except i dont know if the reverb IR is the way to go (to each their own though idk). There is definitely a major disparity going on between the instruments and nothing is sounding big. Like diabolical said, the bass guitar is really lacking and not filling in the thickness. Also, maybe apply your stereowidener to the master rather than just the guitar tracks. The guitars sound wide, but weak. Dont full like im getting that full guitar wall sound there. Maybe try scooping some mids from the kick and brightening the guitars a bit.

Did you use a reference track at all? Pick a similar song that you like and compare your mix to it and see if youre in the right sonic ballpark. Remember, monitor at a moderate volume; not too loud and not too sound. You want to hear clarity and you dont want it to appear over hyped while you listen
Quote by suckmahnuts
Watterboy, I love you.

Quote by davrossss
You are now my favourite person on UG.....You write cool shit.

Quote by wannabestoner69