I have a Dean Chicago Flame ML with a hard tale bridge. Not really sure why I didnt buy the one with the floyd to begin with but I bought this one so I have a predicament. I want to put a floyd on it, ala Dime, but im not sure if I could just top mount it without having to cut a huge hole in the guitar. I know id still have to rout it to the back just for the springs but I know Dime had just top mounted it too and it didnt look like it had the back routed so that he could pull up, but he definitely could.
It's completely cost prohibitive to do that amount of work. Sell the guitar and buy the one you really want.
Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
The one I am trying to recreate is about $4000 so unless youd like to make a donation thats not happening.
That's a pretty stupid thing to say when you just mentioned;
Quote by samuel-hepfer
Not really sure why I didnt buy the one with the floyd to begin with

*sigh*

Seriously, you're wasting your time. routing out a Floyd Rose cavity on a guitar with a fixed bridge is extremely expensive; having it done to a professional standard will cost more than what the guitar is worth. It has lots of inherent risks and it'll completely destroy the guitar's resale value. Not that Deans in general have very much resale value to begin with, but maybe, possibly you'd still like to know.

In fact, such a modification will likely be completely impossible to do because the guitar has a TOM. TOM's by design sit very high (in relative terms) off the guitar's body, so to compensate for this to ensure playability, the neck is mounted to the guitar at a 3-4 degree neck angle.

This angle is going to make your guitar unplayable when you put a Floyd in it because their lower profile design demands the guitar's neck to run in parallel with the plane of the body.

Sell the guitar and buy an ML 79 Floyd. Modding what you have to accept a Floyd is a non-starter.
Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
Last edited by T00DEEPBLUE at Nov 14, 2015,
Bigsby?? I've seen them loaded on flying v's before, but that's the only realistic option that I can think of for your consideration. Even then, it won't do what a Floyd can do.
Gear: Gibson Les Paul Studio, Gibson SG Special, Fender Stratocaster, Fender Telecaster, Fender Jazzmaster, Gretsch Pro Jet, Carvin C350, Epiphone ES-339 P90, Epiphone ES-335 Pro. Peavey 6505, Sovtek MIG-100, Vox AC30, Peavey XXX.
Last edited by ThunderPunk at Nov 14, 2015,
Wait, I heard that Dime had it differently, but how exactly?

TBH, I'd go with what Toodeep says. Get an ML79 Floyd and sell the one you have.
If you're doing a project/replica then just use the 79 and work off that. Paint it, swap hardware etc.
Well, you can call me crazy
You can call me wrong, 'cause
See I was born a liar, albatross
Fly on, fly on
Quote by h8full

that is pretty neat.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Quote by trashedlostfdup
that is pretty neat.

In concept, yes. In practice, no.
Quote by dspellman
In concept, yes. In practice, no.

Care to elaborate?
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
On some Les Pauls, particularly LP Customs, the neck angle is not sufficient to allow the FRX to work without slight modification to the body. The receiving portion of the spring tension transfer rod on the base plate extends slightly below the bridge and may rest on the body unless a tiny channel is routed
Quote by h8full
On some Les Pauls, particularly LP Customs, the neck angle is not sufficient to allow the FRX to work without slight modification to the body. The receiving portion of the spring tension transfer rod on the base plate extends slightly below the bridge and may rest on the body unless a tiny channel is routed

so you can copy and paste, point being?
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!
There are a couple of people who have mounted the FRX on Les Pauls and who have published their processes on MLP. This is the second time that Floyd Rose (the designer) has attempted to produce a trem for those who are reluctant to make the modifications to the guitar that a real Floyd Rose (the trem) require. The first one wasn't a success. The FRX has been in development for at least five years and, in the end, still requires screw holes to hold the string lock in place and may need to have some routing done under the trem itself in order to prevent the trem making contact with the top of the guitar. Les Pauls have variable neck angles, and those with flatter neck angles are most likely to need the routing. And that, of course, violates its whole reason for existence.

A guitar designed from the get-go (including a proper neck angle) for a Floyd is a better solution. I have Floyds on at least four (five?) different LP-style guitars, including a Gibson Axcess and three Agiles and all are properly recessed and the Floyds work great.

It's possible to mount a Floyd on an LP with a larger neck angle, of course, but often the thing sticks WAY up in the air. A friend of mine has one like that; paid around $300 to have the guitar routed, plus whatever it cost for the Floyd itself. The result is a guitar that really doesn't fit in its own case. The case compresses the Floyd and the Floyd's fine tuners, in turn, have chewed their way through to the outside of the case, where they're in the process of building a relief hole.
Seeing as I was on my sofa watching netfllix with only my mouse....
Quote by T00DEEPBLUE

This angle is going to make your guitar unplayable when you put a Floyd in it because their lower profile design demands the guitar's neck to run in parallel with the plane of the body.

I don't think the neck has to have no pitch- those MIJ Pro Mod Charvels have top-mounted floyds and a bit of a neck pitch (and the USA ones too I think).

But I agree with the rest of what you're saying, it's pretty much not a feasible plan unfortunately.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?