Hi people.

I was very lucky recently, and come into quite a bit of money. I decided to get my first valve amp, so went to my local guitar store, PMT in southend, UK.

I didn't know how loud these things were-it was either an orange or a blackstar.

I tried them both out, and I liked the blackstar metal 5 amp head. I couldn't believe how loud it was, I tried it with a 1 by 12 cabinet, but I got the blackstar cab with 4 drivers in the enclosure, as it sounded much tighter and nicer.

I didn't have a clue, but I knew I liked chorus-so they helped me and I got a boss CE-5 pedal.

It sounded really good all hooked up with me playing-and if I am honest there is NO WAY I will be using that cranked all the way, even half of the way was louder than I normally play at home, and they showed me how quiet it could play, I was amazed TBH.

I can't wait till Monday or tuesday for it to turn up, they are going to set it up for me as I just have a line 6 spider 75, this blackstar sounded as loud as that turned up, and to me, even the clean sounded much better than the line 6's.

I mainly play thrash/older metal, although I do play some newish stuff, mainly melodeath.

My main question is-what other pedals would I need? The amp had plenty of gain, and has reverb, so I didn't need that, but I wondered if there is any 'standard' kit I need.

I also bought the speaker cable, a 6M guitar cable and a 3M one for connection from the pedal.

I had never actually heard a valve amp in real life-these things really do sound amazing. I know some people don't like blackstar-but to me, it sounded fantastic, and I would rather have one great sounding tone, than lots of tones that are just meh.

The spider will go upstairs for if I want to make some strange sounds for a recording or something, but apart from that, the blackstar will be my main amp.

So, if anyone thinks or knows I will need anything else, let me know and I can get it .

Oh yeah, I'm tuned to Eb if that helps at all.

Thanks people, Conan.

EDIT: I forgot to add, I know some people don't class these as all valve, that doesn't bother me, the sound does lol.
Last edited by Warrior2014 at Nov 15, 2015,
Also, it was a 4 by 8 inch cabinet, I preffered it to the 1 X 12, sounded tighter and better to me.
If you like the amp that's all that matters. You did good listening to your ears vs being biased before you try something out.

For pedals look into a chromatic tuner, possibly a tubescreamer (to tighten things up), noise gates are very cool if you are doing tight start/stop riffing, MXR 10-band EQ is an essential piece of gear for tone shaping and volume control when you need to be quiet, delays are fun to play with and useful for lead work. There's a whole world and industry for effects!

Used may be the way to go to keep the cost down. I've caught several killer deals this way.
Guitars:
Jackson Kelly KE3 - MIJ (Distortion/Jazz)
Jackson DKMGT Dinky (EMG 81/85)
ESP E-II Eclipse Custom (JB/'59)
ESP LTD EC-1001FR (EMG 81/60)
Fender MIM Strat

Amps:
Mesa/Boogie Dual Rectifier Roadster 212
Laney IronHeart IRT-Studio
Peavey Vypyr 30
Peavey ReValver Amp Sims
TOOOO many T.C. Electronic Pedals. . .
Quote by metalmingee
If you like the amp that's all that matters. You did good listening to your ears vs being biased before you try something out.

For pedals look into a chromatic tuner, possibly a tubescreamer (to tighten things up), noise gates are very cool if you are doing tight start/stop riffing, MXR 10-band EQ is an essential piece of gear for tone shaping and volume control when you need to be quiet, delays are fun to play with and useful for lead work. There's a whole world and industry for effects!

Used may be the way to go to keep the cost down. I've caught several killer deals this way.

Thanks for the information man. I have already bought it-it just needs to be delivered by one of their staff, they are doing it tomorrow for me as I don't drive.

It come to just under £600 with the head, cab, pedal and cables, the cabinet is a 4 by 8 as I preffered it to the 1 by 12.

OK a noise gate sounds good, as lots of palm muting and start/stop riffing is done a lot, so I will probably get that.

I have the Boss chorus (Baby blue ce5) pedal with me and the cables as I could carry them home-I've not tried it though as I don't think it would be worth it on the line 6.

This may sound stupid-but how long does a 9V battery last in there?

OK, a 10 band EQ, sounds good. I must admit, I asked how quiet the amp can go and they turned it down, and it was whisper quiet-but I guess that will allow me to add more depth to the sound as some frequencies will be higher/lower due to the volume.

Also, a tuner. I think for now I will just get a tuner pedal-see how I get on with that and the chorus, then I will buy a noise gate if I think I need it, same with the EQ. I likely will get these things though-as everyone has/uses effects, I also want to be able too. As chorus and reverb is my mainly used effects, the amp head has reverb so I guessed that will be good, and went for the boss pedal, as I am pretty sure they are high quality (I know more about production software, I studied at the British academy of new music in my teens doing a studio/production course-I am glad I done it but wish I also did a live musician course, It doesn't matter though this is for fun).

What tuner pedal would you recommend, ideally budget but fair quality-I have the money to get the best out there, but don't know if that is worth it? And does it matter what order I put them in, or does the tuner pedal always go first?

Thanks for the help .
I second the noise-gate. An EQ might help you, but it's hardly necessary. I just use mine to boost the mids.

A boost isn't really necessary for a Blackstar as the circuit emulates a boost, but if you really wanted one you have nothing much to lose by trying one.

My biggest recommendation is a delay pedal, pretty necessary if you want to do lead sounds or shred, especially for that 80's lead guitar sound you get in thrash.

You might have some fun with a wah.

I don't know how long a 9V battery will last, but I suggest getting a decent power supply, it will save you money in the long run, and is far more acceptable to gig with.

For tuners, the Boss TU-3 is pretty standard kit, but the Polytune is a newer alternative that people seem to like. Note I haven't used either, I love the clip-on Boss TU-10.

You might like the Morpheus Droptune, it lets you change the tuning in the signal path. Great if you use a Floyd Rose. It's best for small changes, like E to D.
Last edited by dragonzrmetal at Nov 15, 2015,
Quote by dragonzrmetal
I second the noise-gate.

A boost isn't really necessary for a Blackstar as the circuit emulates a boost, but if you really wanted one you have nothing much to lose by trying one.

My biggest recommendation is a delay pedal, pretty necessary if you want to do lead sounds or shred, especially for that 80's lead guitar sound you get in thrash.

You might have some fun with a wah.

I don't know how long a 9V battery will last, but I suggest getting a decent power supply, it will save you money in the long run, and is far more acceptable to gig with.

Ok, A PSU sounds good. How much/what brand is recommended and well regarded? The shop did mention I might want a delay next-I am pretty sure they were not ripping me off, they was really helpful and chucked in free string and picks and stuff, plus they are delivering it free-they don't do that usually, only online orders, so one of their staff is bringing it to me tomorrow after the shop closes.

Hmm a Wah, I'm not sure on those-although a tiny bit blended in could be cool.

I am just amazed how loud 5 Watts actually is with valves-they demoed it for me to play MUCH louder than I play at home, so I asked them to turn it down to how I will play it mostly to make sure it still sounded good.

My spider is the 75 watt version and it seemed like it could give that a run for its money, they explained that I can connect it to a 4 by 12 if I wanted and it would be louder-not much as it wont get the cones moving loads, but said it will move more air, and is also likely why I prefer the 4 by 8 to the 1 by 12. The 1 by 12 sounded muddy to me.
For tuners I like the Korg PitchBlack (I got a great deal on the + model).

For power just start with a OneSpot. No need to spend more on an isolated supply unless you really need it.

Most tuners can power a few other pedals as well.

For noise gates the Boss NS-2 and ISP Decimator are pretty standard.

Really this all comes down to what you want to spend.

A multi effect pedal like a Line6 POD HD500x is also a very cool tool. Or you can get multi effects with preamp and cabinet simulations for just the stomp boxes.
Guitars:
Jackson Kelly KE3 - MIJ (Distortion/Jazz)
Jackson DKMGT Dinky (EMG 81/85)
ESP E-II Eclipse Custom (JB/'59)
ESP LTD EC-1001FR (EMG 81/60)
Fender MIM Strat

Amps:
Mesa/Boogie Dual Rectifier Roadster 212
Laney IronHeart IRT-Studio
Peavey Vypyr 30
Peavey ReValver Amp Sims
TOOOO many T.C. Electronic Pedals. . .
I can spend up to £300. I have £4500ish spare but I want to save 3 grand, so £300 extra on guitar bits is my ideal maximum, then an other £700 is accounted for/already spent on non guitar things, leaving me with another £500 which will probably go on some monitors for my home studio.

So, I would ideally like a PSU, delay and a tuner, can the PSU power multiple pedals? I am new to these types of amps, I have had the line 6 for quite a while, but got lucky and got 5 and a half grand for nothing, so I want to get good quality stuff. (I bought the amp and a few bits yesterday though, so I am down to about 4 and a half)

So If I got a PSU, tuner, and delay, would the PSU run all the pedals, and COULD I get it for £300? I can spend more, but just was setting a estimate to try make it easier.

Thanks people, I really don't have a clue but am happy its coming tomorrow .
Whats the DR tone PSU like? It can power 10 pedals and is only £35, so I could get all the pedals easily under budget, just want to make sure its an OK PSU.
^ i doubt it's amazing, but i haven't tried it.

the harley benton power plant jr (not the bigger one, it's not isolated) is good and cheap on thomann. though probably pointless if that's all you're order cos you'd have to pay 10 euros postage (if it even gets over the minimum spend amount).

or the fame one which dv247 and musicstore sell also has a decent rep, again isolated.

the visual sound/truetone one spot has a good rep if you don't care about isolated.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
congrats on getting a new amp.

I'm a bit confused with posting in UG forum, because the post are in random sections.. shouldn't new amp be in gear section and guitar in guitar section. just wondering about it.

~~~
Sorry about that, noticed you moved the post to the correct section..
I have Washburn guitars 'Maverick Series' and bass 'Bantam Series' and a few pedals and amps, but man I wish to have more patience and drive practicing my playing, if it's equal to the modding itch, then I'm golden.
Last edited by psp742 at Nov 15, 2015,
Sorry about that-I get confused easily as I sustained brain damage on 23RD April, 2014( my birthday-great present), I have luckily kept my faculties and intelligence but my memory is bad, my emotions change quickly and I get confused easily.

Sorry its in the wrong section-I just want to play guitar and learn about my amp before using it tomorrow
Instead of throwing money around all willy nilly on random pedals, why not get a multifx? That way you get a "sampler platter" of fx to screw around with and see if you're actually gonna use fx before plunking down big bucks on individual pedals. Something like the Line 6 M5, or if you want practice features (looper, drum beats, etc) a Zoom G3(X) or G5.
Fender Mustang/Derfenstein DST> Boss Power Wah> Pedal Monsters Klone> Bogner Uberschall> Walrus Audio Janus> Randall RM20> Line 6 M9> Randall RM20
Quote by Warrior2014
Sorry about that-I get confused easily as I sustained brain damage on 23RD April, 2014( my birthday-great present), I have luckily kept my faculties and intelligence but my memory is bad, my emotions change quickly and I get confused easily.

Sorry its in the wrong section-I just want to play guitar and learn about my amp before using it tomorrow

sorry to hear that

we're pretty easygoing about the right section here (at least I am), and you often see threads in the wrong section. just if it's in the right section (hopefully) more people who know the answer might see it and you (again hopefully) will get better answers.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by lucky1978
Instead of throwing money around all willy nilly on random pedals, why not get a multifx? That way you get a "sampler platter" of fx to screw around with and see if you're actually gonna use fx before plunking down big bucks on individual pedals. Something like the Line 6 M5, or if you want practice features (looper, drum beats, etc) a Zoom G3(X) or G5.

Hmm that might be a good idea actually, that never crossed my mind. Practice features sound good-I will look into a multiFX unit. I will see how much the Zoom g3 and G5 is, and what features they have, and likely get one of those. I can then use that, I might even like it enough I don't need pedals, just use the MultiFX unit.

I have a question-I got my amp about an hour ago, it has no footswitch though. I was sure the blackstar HT5 metal came with a footswitch to select between channels? Every shop lists that it does-I guess I will have to phone the shop tomorrow.

It sounds great though-and I haven't even used the chorus yet, just playing around enjoying it, fiddling with the ISF and the settings I like.

One thing I must mention-on a valve amp it hums quite a bit, I think thats 60HZ hum people talk about? When I play you can't hear it, but when I'm not you can. Its pretty cool though, it sounds amazing, and I can get (good) feedback much easier, and I was playing some riffs with pinch harmonics in and it just sounded so much 'richer'. I don't know how to explain it-none of my friends play guitar, they all are into electronic music, so it is all new to me.

I will try get the footswitch sorted tomorrow-worst comes to worse I don't think it will be that expensive to get.

But so far, loving it .

Going to have a play with some light chorus now, see how that adds to the sound.

So far though-I like it. I hardly need it cranked-1/3rd of the way is louder than I ever played my Line 6, so its perfect. Very happy indeed.
Last edited by Warrior2014 at Nov 16, 2015,
Quote by Dave_Mc
sorry to hear that

we're pretty easygoing about the right section here (at least I am), and you often see threads in the wrong section. just if it's in the right section (hopefully) more people who know the answer might see it and you (again hopefully) will get better answers.

Ahh fair enough man, I will try to get in the right section next time .
no worries
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
1) stay away from cheap multi fx - you are just corrupting your tube tone. They're fine for experimenting, but in the long run it's a waste of money if you care about tone. I speak from experience on this. You're basically putting a terrible digital pedal in front of your tube amp, which negates the whole point.

2) I would recommend a noise gate ( if necessary!) and a delay ( mxr carbon copy or tc flashback ) to add flavor for leads. For a tuner just get a clip on tuner - they're 15$ and are as good as a Boss pedal, though the Boss can act as a power supply for your other pedals - so it doesn't hurt to invest in one.

3) an EQ pedal s really isn't necessary and I would hold off on an overdrive until you actually need one. Start by learning your amp's distortion.
^ I agree, but the G3 has so many useful functions its absolutely worth owning.
Fender Mustang/Derfenstein DST> Boss Power Wah> Pedal Monsters Klone> Bogner Uberschall> Walrus Audio Janus> Randall RM20> Line 6 M9> Randall RM20