Due to how close Christmas is and there are some decent sales at Bax Shop at the moment, i'm considering getting my first guitar pedal. i started playing late August/early September. is it worth getting a pedal? i play an ESP LTD Viper 10 into a Laney LX65R and im looking for slightly less distortion than the amp offers, i cant quite describe how but it seems to be no difference from 0-7 and then a huge difference at each interval ftom there on. is it just my lack of knowledge or is this something a light overdrive/distortion pedal could help with?
Have you tried turning the volume on your guitar down? It might help.

Otherwise, you can try overdrive pedals, which range from bluesy stuff to AC/DC-type distortion. Probably not worth it to spend money on expensive boutique stuff since you're a beginner, but luckily, even cheap overdrives today are largely really nice.
Digitech Bad Monkey is kind of a classic along cheap ODs, and the Digitech CM2 is reasonably priced, too. If you're in Europe, look into the Harley Benton Vintage Overdrive and Ultimate Drive, as those are very good value for money.

The cool thing about an overdrive is that it can be used to produce overdrive on it's own, but you can also use it to push a tube amp harder, in case you ever upgrade to one. This makes an OD useable across a wide range of styles, and pretty much every guitarist picks one up at some point.
Does your guitar have high output or EMGs in it? Your guitar might not be suited for low gain sounds. EMG recently endorsed a fairly affordable light OD pedal called Nobels ODR-1 that's really good. What is your budget? If you're willing to pay a little more I can recommend you some better ones.
Quote by TheQuailman
Have you tried turning the volume on your guitar down? It might help.

Otherwise, you can try overdrive pedals, which range from bluesy stuff to AC/DC-type distortion. Probably not worth it to spend money on expensive boutique stuff since you're a beginner, but luckily, even cheap overdrives today are largely really nice.
Digitech Bad Monkey is kind of a classic along cheap ODs, and the Digitech CM2 is reasonably priced, too. If you're in Europe, look into the Harley Benton Vintage Overdrive and Ultimate Drive, as those are very good value for money.

The cool thing about an overdrive is that it can be used to produce overdrive on it's own, but you can also use it to push a tube amp harder, in case you ever upgrade to one. This makes an OD useable across a wide range of styles, and pretty much every guitarist picks one up at some point.

Yeah i've tried turning the volume down, it's a bit closer to what i'm looking for but not quite there. I think amp distortion is the problem, i tried out a pedal my friend owns, i think it may have been the BOSS Overdrive/Distortion and then sound just felt a lot richer and fuller than the amp sound. Am i being too fussy for a beginner?

I'm currently looking at a Behringer OD300 as it's extremely cheap (around £15) but i've heard that Behringer stuff is crappy plastic with bad wiring and the sound you get from that isn't worth paying for? Is this just experienced players being dismissive or are Behringer really that bad? I was also looking at the Harley Benton before, i may go for that now due to multiple recommendations on it.
Quote by arctic-strokes
Yeah i've tried turning the volume down, it's a bit closer to what i'm looking for but not quite there. I think amp distortion is the problem, i tried out a pedal my friend owns, i think it may have been the BOSS Overdrive/Distortion and then sound just felt a lot richer and fuller than the amp sound. Am i being too fussy for a beginner?

I'm currently looking at a Behringer OD300 as it's extremely cheap (around £15) but i've heard that Behringer stuff is crappy plastic with bad wiring and the sound you get from that isn't worth paying for? Is this just experienced players being dismissive or are Behringer really that bad? I was also looking at the Harley Benton before, i may go for that now due to multiple recommendations on it.

Behringer is only crappy if you plan to stomp the shit out of the pedal since it's built out of plastic. Some people take the phrase "stomp boxes" too literally.
I've regularly used a Behringer plastic pedal for several years and it's still not broken.

I have the Harley Benton/Joyo Vintage Overdrive and it's fantastic btw.
Quote by Carmel
You are a redeeming feature for the UG Swedish population.

All-riiight.
Quote by arctic-strokes

I tend to avoid anything Behringer since they do have quality issues. However, overdrive pedals are super simple circuits and unless you stomp on it until the plastic shatters, there isn't much to go wrong. That said, the Harley Benton units aren't that much more expensive and come with a proper metal casing.
^ yeah. or a bad monkey or something like that for around £20.

Quote by arctic-strokes

don't write off amp distortion- amp distortion with a good amp is awesome (if you like it).
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
I'd go Vintage Overdrive over the Bad Monkey. I have both and the BM is for sale.
Guitars:
Jackson Kelly KE3 - MIJ (Distortion/Jazz)
Jackson DKMGT Dinky (EMG 81/85)
ESP E-II Eclipse Custom (JB/'59)
ESP LTD EC-1001FR (EMG 81/60)
Fender MIM Strat

Amps:
Mesa/Boogie Dual Rectifier Roadster 212
Laney IronHeart IRT-Studio
Peavey Vypyr 30
Peavey ReValver Amp Sims
TOOOO many T.C. Electronic Pedals. . .
everyone should own a Ibanez TS at one stage of their life.
mojostompboxes.com
Quote by metalmingee
I'd go Vintage Overdrive over the Bad Monkey. I have both and the BM is for sale.

Yeah I'd probably say the VO sounds marginally better too, though it has less tweakability and (more importantly) I'm not sure how good its build quality is.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
How bout a delay pedal? You can dial in a delay pedal to kinda mimic a chorus or reverb, which makes it quite versatile if you're limited to a single pedal. A few delay pedals have looping functions too. You can get lost screwing around with a TC Flashback.
Fender Mustang/Derfenstein DST> Boss Power Wah> Pedal Monsters Klone> Bogner Uberschall> Walrus Audio Janus> Randall RM20> Line 6 M9> Randall RM20
Quote by Dave_Mc
Yeah I'd probably say the VO sounds marginally better too, though it has less tweakability and (more importantly) I'm not sure how good its build quality is.

Well the VO doesn't suck tone when it's turned off at least! Turned on they both work fine.
Guitars:
Jackson Kelly KE3 - MIJ (Distortion/Jazz)
Jackson DKMGT Dinky (EMG 81/85)
ESP E-II Eclipse Custom (JB/'59)
ESP LTD EC-1001FR (EMG 81/60)
Fender MIM Strat

Amps:
Mesa/Boogie Dual Rectifier Roadster 212
Laney IronHeart IRT-Studio
Peavey Vypyr 30
Peavey ReValver Amp Sims
TOOOO many T.C. Electronic Pedals. . .
well sure, but there have been a lot more complaints about joyo build quality than digitech i think.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?