What is the best way for a beginner to learn and practice 7ths? Thank you in advance for any help.
learn the forms..triad + the seventh tone .. the 7th could be a major, minor or dominate..leave diminished and augmented alone until you really understand the basics

there are many chords books and online sites for the forms..learn the inversions also..

go slow..its quite a bit of work..learn as many keys as you can also..

most of all enjoy the learning--have fun
play well

wolf
What exactly do you mean?

To learn to play them? To learn to use them in your own songs? To understand how they are constructed? To understand how they work in chord progressions? To learn to recognize them by ear?

If you want to learn to play them and use them, I would suggest playing songs with 7th in them. That way you'll get the shapes under your fingers and you'll also see how they are used in your favorite songs.

Dominant 7th must be the most common one (major triad + minor 7th). The next most common ones are major 7th (major triad + major 7th) and minor 7th (minor triad + minor 7th) chords. Start with those.

Do you know about chord functions? If not, I would suggest learning about them. 7th chords don't really differ that much from basic triads. They just have one more note in them. If you understand chord functions with basic triads, you also understand chord functions with 7th chords.
Quote by AlanHB
Just remember that there are no boring scales, just boring players.

Gear

Bach Stradivarius 37G
Charvel So Cal
Fender Dimension Bass
Hartke HyDrive 210c
Ibanez BL70
Laney VC30
Tokai TB48
Yamaha FG720S-12
Yamaha P115
Last edited by MaggaraMarine at Nov 15, 2015,
Quote by MaggaraMarine

Do you know about chord functions? If not, I would suggest learning about them. 7th chords don't really differ that much from basic triads. They just have one more note in them. If you understand chord functions with basic triads, you also understand chord functions with 7th chords.

This right here.

That additional 7th note doesn't change the chord function: a minor chord still functions like a minor chord, whether you include the 7th or not. Same goes for the other chord types.

You can go beyond and add other tones like 9ths, but it's a good idea to start with the sevenths. It's quite a simple concept really.
Last edited by Elintasokas at Nov 15, 2015,
Im sorry i meant to practice them. you answered my question as well though thank you.
Quote by Mike9478
What is the best way for a beginner to learn and practice 7ths? Thank you in advance for any help.

Start by learning the harmonized C major scale in 7th chords - that is the best way.

Cmaj7, Dmin 7, E min 7 etc. Learn the voicings playing the root notes on the Low E string and learn them playing the root notes starting on the A string and then learn them using root notes on the D string. Learn the moveable shapes.

Then learn some songs that use some 7th chords.
Quote by Mike9478

I'd start with Diatonic Harmony. It's a good idea to know how to spell out every note correctly in any major scale, as a basis for it.

Then apply the chord formulae to the scale, I ii iii IV V vi viio

Then, I'd suggest learn the root forms for the 6th string, for I ii iii
Follow that with the chord forms on the 5th for IV V and vi

I wouldn't bother with a viio (min7b5) just yet. You can always fill in that one later, and frankly you'll end up playing bVII more often, for it to be a priority.

After you have that, move the iii chord to the 5th string root.

That's far for an exhaustive approach, but it's a solid starting point and will get you a long ways.

Good luck.

Best,

Sean